Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 256MB of DDR RAM enough to RUN XP

• 10-10-2002 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭

i have a fairly new system with a AMD XP processor. I forgot the exact speed but it think its 1.6. I have 256MB of DDR RAM but my systems still feels sluglish. I was thinking of upgrading to 768MB of ram i.e buying 512MB .

I have 3 free RAM slots so i was thinking the more slots i leave free the better the system will run in years to come.

How much would i pay for RAM. I dont have access to a credit card.

So any suggestions price wise etc.

I run lots of apps and the same time and you can never have to much RAM right.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

768MB is overkill unless you're going to be running video editing aps, MIDI sequencing and super-duper software like that.

For your average useage, and games, 256 is enough, but 512 is best. You don't really need more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah 256 is grand for gaming and stuff.
    I have 1Gb of ddr cause i run a pile of stuff (some 3d rendering aswell) and it never goes below 300Mb in use, but i think the more ya feed it the more it eats.
    Komplett have a special on ddr atm iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Look at the thread - 'Where to buy' - I think 256DDRAM is about 100yoyo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is there a way to check what type of RAM you have. Is there software out.

there seems to be so many types of DDR RAM.

how can i be sure i am buying the correct one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by thegills
    Look at the thread - 'Where to buy' - I think 256DDRAM is about 100yoyo's

Is 256MB of DDR RAM enough to RUN XP

Komplett 256Mb special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I had 256mb of ram running 2kpro on a similar setup and it didn't quite do the job I was hoping it would. Quick example, ut2003 still had the odd bit of swapping. I put in another 256 and it's now running the way i wanted it to ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

256 for win2k, 384 for winxp and heavy luna interface

Advertisement