Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To dye or not to dye?

• 10-10-2002 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I am 30, male and in a comfortable relationship. I am starting to go grey. What do I do???? Do other Borders out there look in the mirror and feel pangs of lost youth?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Either shave it off or dy it purple. Or if you're comfortable\confident get a mohawk.... that'd look pretty wicked grey!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by dagerbil
    I am 30, male and in a comfortable relationship. I am starting to go grey. What do I do???? Do other Borders out there look in the mirror and feel pangs of lost youth?????

you're a bloke ffs!
    which means you are a jammy bastid and do not need to dye your hair - let it go gracefully and be glad you're not bald!

and yes
    monday mornings especially, make me feel very old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dagerbil

Many thanks for the words of encouragement my kind and understanding Doctor!!! A purple / grey mohawk, Hummm. Not quite what I had hoped for but its a start. DFo other Boarders dye theirt hair and if so how old were you when you started and what products do you use???

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    you're a bloke ffs!
    which means you are a jammy bastid and do not need to dye your hair - let it go gracefully and be glad you're not bald!

and yes
    monday mornings especially, make me feel very old

Just coz I am "a bloke ff's" does not, nor should it mean, that I should not be a tad concerned that the old plumage is not what it once was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

im 20, and im female and i started going grey at 12 ffs!!!! so stop complaining!!! its noticeable, but not extremely. if you're taller than me (and seeing as im 5'2, that means most people) you cant help but see it, but its growing in a streak like manner, and seeing as i do like dying my hair, this will be handy in a matter of time....

is it true if u have real dark hair u grow grey quicker? i wouldnt have thought so, but a few people ahve said it to me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

I am 30, male and in a comfortable relationship

Sounds like a mid-life crisis,dump your girl, buy a really fast car,quit your job,dye your hair orange and start going out with a 19 year old that should take the attention away from your grey hair :)

Thanks Sposs, best advice of the day! Is that what you did?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Hell, I'm 26 an going gray...like my Dad who was gray at 28...I'm looking forward to it..think it'll look cool :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Thanks Sposs, best advice of the day! Is that what you did?

well im only 21 so unless im going to die when im 42 i dont think i've had my mid-life crisis yet :)

As for going grey i started when i was about 18 and i expect to be totally grey by 25,im looking forward to it,i think greyness gives you that intelligent mature look (example George Clooney),lots of young chicks dig that....i hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Nothing wrong with a bit of grey. But if you're going to dye it any colour, go with the purple - natural colours will make it obvious you're trying to hide the grey. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im 30 and ive been going grey for ages. I died my hair bluey blacky to see if i could look like elvis a few years ago, but i missed the grey so i didnt bother dying it anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I'd actually have liked to have had grey hair from a young age, that way I could have passed myself off as a particular breed of Dublin skang from Howth. They all have grey hair when they're about 10!! Quite dashing.

Originally posted by thedrowner
    im 20, and im female and i started going grey at 12 ffs!!!!

OMG!! I thought I was the only one!! I was still in primary school when a ****in' nun pointed it out to me!! I was so upset

is it true if u have real dark hair u grow grey quicker?

It has been said to me too, but it's more likely that as your hair is so dark it's just more noticeable.... it would be much more difficult to see the grey in very blond hair

Just coz I am "a bloke ff's" does not, nor should it mean, that I should not be a tad concerned that the old plumage is not what it once was

don't get your knickers in a twist!
    what I ment was - the way society looks at is:

grey haired woman = old bat
    grey haired man = distinguished

so not fair!
    and let me tell you, once the novelty of dyeing has worn off, it's a pain it the ass to do it year after year! and it will also be harder at that stage to let it go naturally as you will have gotten used to it. Better to let it go bit by bit........
    personally, I don't have any problem with a grey haired bloke, 'tis natural and will come to us all.
    my advice to you is just keep it short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Hahahaha old AND grey. When God was handing out unlucky you got in line twice.

.logic.

Originally posted by logic1
    Hahahaha old AND grey. When God was handing out unlucky you got in line twice..logic.

which is still about 10 times less than you pal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Its when your pubes start going grey that you should worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Go grey with grace, many women find it attractive.

http://www.no2nice.org.
    Do not let the process of Irish Referenda become subservient to a Supra National Federalist edict. Requantify Ireland's democratic voice and vote No the the Nice Treaty.

Cuidado con el gato baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Grey is the new black.

I like girls with a bit of grey - makes them seem almost human.

Originally posted by Tazz T
    I like girls with a bit of grey - makes them seem almost human.

wrong again!
    it's just a ploy to lull you into a false sense of security

Beruthiel, many thanks for your candid and honest opinions. Did not mean to come across as having my knickers in a twist! Methinks Logic1 has a few issues, easy to hand out bitch slaps, not too easy to come up with an intellegent and relevant post.... Seems he was last in line for brains too. We should pity not ridicule people such as Logic1.

RE The hair, I suppose it was a shock to see the speed and size of the devestated area increase with the frightening pace with which it did. In a very minor way, if most people were honest, the shock stems from ones first brush with loss of youth and energy. Not that one has lost energy and youth, but, it is a visible reminder that one must come face to face with the truth, the truth being the inescapable fact that as much as one denies it, none of us (no matter what age) are as young as we were yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

wrong again!
    it's just a ploy to lull you into a false sense of security

I knew it. Damn, back to the drawing board.

Methinks Logic1 has a few issues

no need to hard on logic, it's not his fault :D
    I will be paying him back at the next beer bash by wearing my steel toe caps.......

The hair, I suppose it was a shock to see the speed and size of the devestated area increase with the frightening pace with which it did

lol - welcome to hell dagerbil :D
    we should have a support group forum for old fogies!
    anyway...
    I would stop worrying if I was you, otherwise it might start falling out as well and then you will look back fondly at the days when all you had to worry about was it turning grey :D
    now
    when you can't get it up anymore and you have to order your first set of dentures, THEN you may start worrying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am going slightly grey around the edges but to be honest I don't mind as I look a lot younger than I am anyway.

I once got it bleached blonde twice though, in Peter Mark and it was cool, but it was a little expensive and there's no way in hell I'd do it myself.

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    [BI'd love Berthuie to but she wont let me.[/B]

ahhhhh
    sure that was last week chicken
    I'm in cradle snatching mood today, PM me! :D

yeah beruthial, im sick of people being taller than me and going 'oh...you know you're going grey dont you?' or 'wow...you have so much grey hair...how old are you?' and i dont have THAT much......

my hair is so dark everyon else thinks its black. soon i will look like morticia adams....i dunno if thats quite distinguished though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

i dye my hair regularly,
    i'm 27 been going grey/silver for the last 11 years the last time i looked it was at about 60% grey. and when you have dark hair it shows a lot more.

once just once i let it grown out while i was in college and it was just to freaky who wants to be called a banshee ?

As for picking a color stick to some think close to your own color and most people will never know unless you tell'em.

maybe by the time i'm 30ish it will all be silver and i might be albe to learn to live with it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

Grow a long beard and start practicing magic.

I joke not.

}:>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

My first reaction on reading the post was something like "oh ffs, you're getting older, just deal with it, man"

I'm paranoid about going bald. You're paranoid about going grey. Same thing really. I suppose the only difference is that I don't seem to be going bald yet.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. If going grey really bothers you that much then there's nothing wrong with at least giving a little colour a try. If having tried it you don't like the result you can always go back to greyness. I assume what bothers you most is that you feel older as your hair goes grey, as well as looking older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

My granny was completely white at 16 (had a white streak at the front of her hair for 3/4 years before that), and oddly enough both my sisters and my dad developed the white streak in the exact same place when they were about 16 too.

I guess I'm kinda lucky it hasnt happened to me yet, but I kinda want the white streak (this Rogue from the X-Men movie!), but at 17 my hair seems to be getting darker not lighter :(

Had 2 white hairs yanked out of my head by a friend of mine (i didnt know about it either time!), so you can relax about the whole, pull one out and another 7 will grow back. :)

<< Fio >>

Originally posted by sceptre
    My first reaction on reading the post was something like "oh ffs, you're getting older, just deal with it, man"

I'm paranoid about going bald. You're paranoid about going grey. Same thing really. I suppose the only difference is that I don't seem to be going bald yet.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. If going grey really bothers you that much then there's nothing wrong with at least giving a little colour a try. If having tried it you don't like the result you can always go back to greyness. I assume what bothers you most is that you feel older as your hair goes grey, as well as looking older.

Your fear of baldness is probably the same fear of greyness that I have. Correct me if I am speaking for you incorrectly but I would venture to think that maybe it is not the baldness or the greyness in itself that is the problem for us but what that baldness and greyness signifies.......

So if I am to do the job on my hair do I go to a "Salon" and if I go to a "Salon" should it be a mens or ladies. Bear in mind the odds are the ladies salons are probably more used to applying colour........ Maybe not. Suggestions. OR do I buy a bottle and go for it at home? If so, which bottle have any of you had happy experiences with and more importantly which have you had unhappy experiences with..... Tips and ideas greatly appreciated.

first time go to a hairdresser, until you know how your hair will react.
    PeterMarks usually have men and women hairdressers so you should be comfortable in there

Hi Beruthiel. There is something screaming at me to have a lash at home.... Could really balls up my cred with the guys if I cock it up. Anyway, need to be looking the best for "The two Towers"!! HA HA....

Hi Beruthiel. There is something screaming at me to have a lash at home.... Could really balls up my cred with the guys if I cock it up.

huh? :confused:

Anyway, need to be looking the best for "The two Towers"!! HA HA....

feck, I forgot to check that thread (me scoots of to LOTR forum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by smiles
    I guess I'm kinda lucky it hasnt happened to me yet, but I kinda want the white streak (this Rogue from the X-Men movie!), but at 17 my hair seems to be getting darker not lighter :(

Heh, same with me funnily. Around the end of 5th year I started getting a couple of grey hairs around the sides, and my Mum went grey earlyish, so I was a bit ewwww about it, but since starting college, it's just gone, like BLACK!. A 1-blade on me looks like a short 3.........

I purchased a bottle....... Think I'll have a go tonight!

I purchased a bottle....... Think I'll have a go tonight!

guess who's gonna be too scared to leave the house for the rest of the weekend? :D:D

Yeah, ur possibly right there B. I have been told that the fist 3/4 washes are kinda good as it will take the "CHECK OUT MY NEW HAIR" look!!

im really scared...i have to dye my hair for a show im doing next week, (i have near black hair with a cocuple of red streaks at the front) and i have to dye the red streaks to black. and i just know that something will go wrong and ill end up with green hair and ill be in so much trouble!!!! ahhhh!

• Advertisement

im really scared...i have to dye my hair for a show im doing next week, (i have near black hair with a cocuple of red streaks at the front) and i have to dye the red streaks to black. and i just know that something will go wrong and ill end up with green hair and ill be in so much trouble!!!! ahhhh!

Well........ Did you do it???

Well........ Did you do it???

well.......

did YOU do it???????

well.......

did YOU do it???????

My Dear Beruthiel........ WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER... Sigh.... I wussed out. I read the instructions, I psyched myself up for it and wimped out saying "I'll do it tomorrow...." Oddly enough when tomorrow came I found any number of reasons why I should not follow through. "I have ironing to do - YES!!" I gave myself a very stern talking to and accused my self of being the worst sort of coward. I insulted myself and generally gave myself a good scolding. No joy!! I could not be moved. I was resolute. I stood fast against myself.....

I wussed out

ya big girl :p

yeah i did it
    i bought ebony from one of those boutiques in the georges st arcade, expecting it to actually work, cos its the same brand i use to dye my streaks bright colours. well, it kind of worked, and then when i had a shower, most of it went, and i was left with brown sstreaks with red highlights, he he. its not noticeable on stage i believe...and OH...its ok, i have to wear a big stupid wig in the scene it would've been most distasteful in (people can be so cruel:))

dagerbill...are you a guy???? did u just say you did the ironing?
    *falls in a faint from shock* *and waits to get jumped on by all the modern men present*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

dagerbill...are you a guy???? did u just say you did the ironing?
    *falls in a faint from shock* *and waits to get jumped on by all the modern men present*

depends on how you fall, legs open or closed, what you are wearing (dresses are easier) and obviously if you are good looking or not.

and you could at least buy me a drink and give me some sort of conversation. im not *that* easy you know....

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    im not *that* easy you know....

liar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    im not *that* easy you know....

hmm... not I, all I need is a hello and a bit of cleavage.....
    red pumps help though..... come to think of it 1920's jazz and al capone hats do it for me too.....

cleavage and hello i can do....WWM is getting a bit too demanding for my liking...
    *goes to look for red pumps*
    will gold do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

cleavage ... ...i can do....

alright already!

god youre demanding!

how about a pint and half a conversation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement