Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No2Nice man Justin Barrett and the Neo-Nazi right wingers

Options
  • 11-10-2002 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

There's a story in the IT today about Justin Barrett, of the No2Nice campaign (http://www.no2nice.org) and his association with right wing Neo-Nazi groups in Germany.

Do you think that it is right?

See -> http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2002/1011/927689545HM1BARRETT.html

Do you agree with No2Nice man Justin Barrett's association with Neo-Nazi 12 votes

Ja bin ich mit ihm. Leben lang das Vaterland. Weiße richtlinie!!!
    0% 0 votes
    Nein. I hate Nazis and anyone associated with them.
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You forgot to mention that he is also the leader of Youth Defence who as far as Im concerned are all facists anyway.
    And Yes he has been seen at a few Neo-Nazi meetings.
    Think there was a story in one of the Sunday papers last wek about it.

Check out www.truthtv.org to see his accomplishments--they even have a video of an abortion being carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

PH is it possible to quote that article as most of us are too scabby to subscribe to the IT :)

As for Mr. Barrett eventhough we share the same opinion on the Nice treaty I hold very different views to him. I am pro Choice and not just because I believe the person directly effected should have the choice on what happens to her body but for other reasons as well. I have a aversion to organised religions and especially cult like organisations like Opus Dei with which Mr. Barrett I believe is a member or closely affiliated.

However if people as diverse in opinions and beliefs as myself and Mr. Barrett disagree with this treaty so strongly then I suggest that there is more to it than implied racism or small mindedness (is that a word).

Gandalf.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The story has actually been confirmed on http://home.eircom.net/news/TopStories/story.asp?id=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Interesting poll PH, is the implication that if you're going to vote no you're a neo nazi?

I presume you're just being facetious.

And BTW so there's no doubt. I've voted no and can't stand the far right, and most quasi-religious groups

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Interesting articles - well, imho, he's a fruitcake anyway - but apart from that, I'm sure this will surely do some damage to his credibility

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

And this article is about as good a reason to vote Yes as the corruption of Fianna Fial ministers is reason to vote No.

Quid Pro Quo Agent Starling.

http://www.no2nice.org.
    Do not let the process of Irish Referenda become subservient to a Supra National Federalist edict. Requantify Ireland's democratic voice and vote No the the Nice Treaty.

Cuidado con el gato baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the Green party are against as well. By no stretch of the imagination are they neo nazis.......except maybe the vegan wing of the green party.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by Typedef
    http://www.no2nice.org.
    Do not let the process of Irish Referenda become subservient to a Supra National Federalist edict. Requantify Ireland's democratic voice and vote No the the Nice Treaty.

And there i was, in all my innocence, thinking that if i turned off sig's i wouldnt have to look at more of this.. The mind boggles tbh tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

Extreme-right group confirms Barrett link
    By Derek Scally, in Berlin, and Deaglán de Bréadún, in Dublin

Mr Justin Barrett, the chief spokesman of the No to Nice campaign and a leading figure in the Youth Defence anti-abortion group, has close contacts with an extreme right-wing party in Germany which the authorities there believe has "Nazi characteristics".

Mr Barrett has attended conferences and spoken at an event organised by Germany's National Democratic Party (NPD). Two years ago he attended an NPD rally in the Bavarian city of Passau as a representative of Youth Defence.

His name appears as one of the "honorary guests" at the event in Die Deutsche Stimme (The German Voice), the NPD party newspaper. The NPD described the rally, the largest by the party to date, as a day of national resistance. It was held in May 2000, and over 6,000 party members attended.

Other honorary guests included an Italian right-wing extremist and a former Nazi SS officer, who received a standing ovation.

Last month, when allegations about his links with the German organisation were first made in a Sunday newspaper, Mr Barrett threatened to sue it. He also threatened legal action against other media organisations, including The Irish Times.

Yesterday however, senior figures in the NPD and its youth wing confirmed his involvement.

"Justin Barrett was an honorary guest at our event in Passau. I invited him. He sat with the delegates," said Mr Holger Apfel, the deputy leader of the NPD. "We have been in contact with his group since 1996. We are friendly with his Youth Defence organisation."

When this was put to Mr Barrett, he declined to confirm or deny that he attended the event.

"That will be dealt with by the High Court," he said. "This is a smear campaign started by that gutter newspaper the Sunday Mirror and obviously The Irish Times is now working on it as part of this campaign by the Yes side."

The Irish Times has learned that in addition to his NPD contacts, Mr Barrett has a long-standing relationship with the party's youth organisation, the Young National Democrats (JN), a recruiting ground for the NPD. Mr Sascha Rossmüller, leader of JN, said he had been in contact with Mr Barrett "for several years". Youth Defence "shares many important interests" with the JN and is "an important part of our international network", said Mr Rossmüller. Other organisations in the network include the National Front in Britain and Italy's extremist group, Forza Nuova. The German government applied two years ago to the country's highest court to have the NPD banned. The government argues that the party poses a threat to democracy."

There you go lads - No to Nice = Christian Taliban - be careful how you vote

Today: Nice

Tomorrow: Abortion

The day after: Your television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Oh good Bertiebowl. So by your logic.

A Yes to Nice means, a Yes to corrupt Ministers, various welched election lies, overspent public finances and election re-runs in perpetuity.

It's a pity the Yes people have declared themselves officially bored with arguing the merits or more accurately the absolute lack of merits of the Nice Treaty for Ireland.

I suppose when all else fails a slur campaign will have to suffice hmm?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If Justin Barrett were to run naked down O'Connell Street with a Swastika painted on both cheeks of his arse singing "Deutschland, Deutschland, Uber Alles" sporting a Hitler moustache...

... that should affect my vote on Nice exactly how?

This stinks of dirty tricks. They wait till now and then pull out this sort of political journalism.... you have to question the timing.

For shame Irish Times, I expected better.

I've yet to make up my mind but this sort of thing really makes me think they are desperate and havent a logical argument for a YES vote.

I've yet to hear anything from the YES camp that isnt a threat or a vague FUD scare story.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I think Barrett is a dispicable little sh¡t. However I also think his analysis of Nice is wrong.

Voting Yes does not entail any agreement with anything Barrett says. (Do you really think the Green Party has a large number of Barrett fellow-travellers amongst its ranks?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Originally posted by PH01
    I'm not attempting to link anybody from the No2Nice campaign with Neo Nazis for Justin Barrett seems to be doing a pretty good job at this on his own.

Justin Barrett is a crank and he gets far too much media interest, it would be better to ignore him and then he might go away.

If u have a problem with barrett fine, its totally understandable if the whole neo-nazi thing is true. Its perfectly understandable if u have a problem with him even if it isn't true (I for one think he is a spanner).

But keep nice out of it, if you are hoping that people will be persuaded to vote yes you are wasting your time anyway, I think that the electorate is immune to scaremongering at this stage(at least the intelligent portion of it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As someone who'd vote yes if he could I'd like to think this would make a difference but I suspect it won't as those who are swayed by Justin Barrets nutcase social views are proberly a bit facist anyway...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just to point out that the Sunday Mirror published this story about Barrett first last Sunday.... it seems that the Irish Times and co have been sitting on it and checking its accuracy before publishing it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Shazbat
    Justin Barrett is a crank and he gets far too much media interest, it would be better to ignore him and then he might go away.
    Well, he is one of the most visible campaigners in a referendum which will have a major impact on Ireland's future (no matter what the result). Should the media just ignore him?

Aren't the no2nice.org people always complaining about the media not covering them? (on their website, they complain about "a suspicious blackout on covering our activities in the national media both print and broadcast"). Surely they should be delighted that they're finally getting coverage?

Also, I doubt anyone will change their vote because of this story. The electorate is smart enough to distinguish between Barrett's dodgy taste in friends and the Nice Treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

QUOTE]"It is surprising that Justin Barrett took so long to remember that he had been at the National Democratic Party's (NDP) rally in Germany. It is even more surprising that he didn't realise that in attending, he was endorsing a blatantly neo-nazi party," said Mr Durkan.[/QUOTE]

Fine Gael Party Chairman Bernard Durkan

It is surprising that Bernard Durkan or anybody else in FG cannot remember Enda Kennys little Joke or they once got Twink to provide some light entertainment at a FG Ard Fheis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Shazbat

Originally posted by Meh
    Well, he is one of the most visible campaigners in a referendum ......Should the media just ignore him?

But he is only visible because of the media not ignoring him.

A bit of a catch 22 situation?

It is surprising that Bernard Durkan or anybody else in FG cannot remember Enda Kennys little Joke or they once got Twink to provide some light entertainment at a FG Ard Fheis?

Pigman stop being a muppet, Enda Kenny simply showed poor judgement in re-telling an unfunny story with the word ni*g*r (I'm censoring this to save someone else time) in it, Barrett is a right wing nutcase in the company of neo-facists.

The Twink thing was embarrassing though...

Mike.

Pigman stop being a muppet, Enda Kenny simply showed poor judgement in re-telling an unfunny story with the word ni*g*r (I'm censoring this to save someone else time) in it, Barrett is a right wing nutcase in the company of neo-facists.

Kenny is a the leader of our second largest political party.

He is a member of the Oireachtas.

Enda Kenny simply showed poor judgement in re-telling an unfunny story with the word ni*g*r

Justin Barrett too showed some poor Judgement.

But Justin has not Endas experience of politics. Justin has admitted - what he did was wrong.

Many our people at tribunerals - the truth has to be dragged out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Cork
    Justin Barrett too showed some poor Judgement.

But Justin has not Endas experience of politics. Justin has admitted - what he did was wrong.

I'm not going to bother defending Enda Kenny. I think he made a fundamental error that will come back and bite him in the ass.

Justin Barrett has been making mistakes over and over in the past two years. And IMHO in the ten years previous to that.

Enda Kenny is a bit of a plonker. Justin Barrett is a career plonker. He's been a liability to every movement he's been involved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

He denies he knew it was a neo Nazi event.On RTE last night they showed footage of the conference-featuring muslced German men in brown shirts carrying flags which while not Nazi were obviously copied(I think its illegal to display swastikas etc in Germany).So basically they were doing the anti nazi flag laws to their limit by holding flags about as different to nazi flags as the difference between dark blue and navy.
    Then again Barret certainly SOUNDS like an idiot when he talks-maybe he really is one;) Personally I support the things his group stands for but it is possible that he be of little intelligence.

The Yes to nice people have lost the arguement - the only way they have left is to jump on Justin Barrett. Justin Barrett did wrong in going to such conferences but the Yes crowd are trying to use the Justin Barrett thing as a whip aganist the No people.

Are we to use IBECS opposition to the mimimum wage?
    Are we to use the Flood Tribuneral report?
    Are we to use the Enda Kenny remarks?

I say NO

Lets judge this shambles of a treaty.

I'll say No again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 billymeehan

Got to say, as someone who is largely undecided on the Nice treaty, the No campaigners are doing a good job of shooting themselves in the foot. The main advocates are either Hippys (the greens), ex-terrorists (the shinners) or bloody neo-nazi's (Barrett).

Pigman, IBECs views on the min wage are irelevant as the min wage exisits and will stay no matter what they say.

The Tribunals are an internal polictical/judicial bunfight not conected to Nice.

Enda Kennys bad jokes/stoires are not connected to Nice.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

Originally posted by The Gopher
    He denies he knew it was a neo Nazi event.

oh, right, of course!! this man expects people to believe that he went to this "meeting" (his word) or "rally" (my word) without ANY knowledge of the actions, ideologies, or background of the group to whom he was asked to address?? Absolute Garbage!

the man may be a right wing idiot, with the rhetorical skills of a petulant child, but i do not believe for a second that someone with his experience of being in the public eye, campaigning against this, that and the other would do NO research whatsoever into the people who invite him all the way over to germany to speak! does he honestly expect people to swallow that crap?

oh, and then he has the audacity to say that he holds "no extremist views" of course not, justin, apart from your trenchent anti-choice views and links with hyper-religious groups like opus dei!

Originally posted by billymeehan
    Got to say, as someone who is largely undecided on the Nice treaty, the No campaigners are doing a good job of shooting themselves in the foot. The main advocates are either Hippys (the greens), ex-terrorists (the shinners) or bloody neo-nazi's (Barrett).

The YES crowd too are a stange brigade -
    IBEC and Labour.
    The IFA and the Unions
    FF and FG

Don't let this thing influence your vote or the flood report - this treaty is a mess and I think it will be judged as such.

I never knew Trevor Sargent was a hippy? I would be interested to know - where you heard this?

The Yes to nice people have lost the arguement wrong in
    Lets judge this shambles of a treaty.

I'll say No again.

fair enough, you are as entitled to vote no as I am to vote yes.
    But could you expand on your one liner above, that the yes to Nice people have lost the argument??
    And on why you think the treaty is a shambles, then maybe I can make some effort at a reply.

Incidently Justin Barret stated last night that this nazi thing came from the FF press office.
    I do not know if that was the case but it's irrelevant to the Campaign for or against the treaty.
    It's also highly embarrasing that a leading no campaigner should be caught out that way.
    If you ask me anyhow , I think Justin Barrett is probably secretly a single issue no campaigner, in that he is under the mis guided impression that the E.U will introduce abortion in this country.
    ( I am not arguing the pro's or con's of that here )
    He'll campaign untill he is blue in the face against all things in the Nice treaty as it might bring in non catholic laws.

He's on very thin ice then, being caught attending a far right political rally considering, most of neo nazi opinion is vehemently anti catholic.
    mm

The YES crowd too are a stange brigade -
    IBEC and Labour.
    The IFA and the Unions
    FF and FG

Don't let this thing influence your vote or the flood report - this treaty is a mess and I think it will be judged as such.

I never knew Trevor Sargent was a hippy? I would be interested to know - where you heard this?
    cork are you saying that these people are strange bed fellows, and shouldn't agree on anything??

They did agree by and large on the ppf and it's predecessors, so agreeing on something else like the Nice Treaty wouldn't be a first.
    mm

• Advertisement

cork are you saying that these people are strange bed fellows, and shouldn't agree on anything??

No, I am saying that if they can agree on a shoddy treaty like the Nice treaty - they should agree more.

FF can not go into coalition with FG
    FG can not go into coalition with FF
    Labour does not know - what it wants.
    IBEC and the unions tend to disagree alot

It's also highly embarrasing that a leading no campaigner should be caught out that way

What about Enda Kenny's ****** remarks?
    Is Justin Barrett guilty by association?

We had loyalists up North tageting the SDLP - because they were part of a "Pan Nationalist Front".

This Yes Brigade and their lavish campaign have indeed lost the arguement. They have lost the trust of the Irish people.

People like Raymond Crotty were statesmen. What do you call a 6000 strong Rapid Reaction force? An army? No...................Its a differant animal entirely.

It will be as accountable and as democratic as the EU. For those who don't know - the EU is not democratic or accountable.

Advertisement