Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do the maneuvres get their names?

• 11-10-2002 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be the first to admit that, fake as the actual "fighting" may well be, there are some very athletic people taking part in pro-wrestling today and they pull off some stunning maneuvres, both aerial and otherwise...

I'm just wondering where some of these moves get their unusual sounding names...

Moves like the "scissors kick", "leg drop", "rock bottom", etc. - they're obvious enough...

but what about Rey Mysterio's "1-6-9" ?

Jeff Hardy's "Swanton Bomb" ?

Triple H's "Pedigree" ?

The "DDT" ?

I'm sure there's more, I just cant think of them... you know the sort...

thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

90% of the moves you see are tried and tested and havent actually been created by the wrestler you see using them, but to associate the move with the charactor they are given individual names. in the case of Reys "619" its the area code for where he lives in the states, and its a set up move for the "West Coast Pop" Which is his finisher, so when you see the "619" it means hes "Going Home" to the finisher.
    The Swanton Comes from the Name Senton Bomb, a Senton is a jump from the top turnbuckle, and a swanton is a roll in mid air at the last second, if he was to flip in mid air it would be called a Flipping Senton Bomb, bomb meaning he hits someone.
    The pedigree comes from HHH's old charactor who was a snobbish blue blood better than you guy, therefore he had "pedigree"
    The DDT was supposedly invented by Jake Roberts and DDT was either a Nerve Gas used in WWII or an insectacide i cant remember which :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

thanks bomb... there *are* others... I just can't think of them right now, obviously...

but I will :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

DDT - wasn't that Damien's Death Touch, named after Damien, his snake?

Nah, that was just a school yard rumour back in the day, lol Damiens Dinner Time was another one. He came up with the ddt before he had the snake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

DDT was actually called dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane

The use of DDT increased enormously on a worldwide basis after World War II, primarily because of its effectiveness against the mosquito that spreads malaria and lice that carry typhus.

DDT the first of the chlorinated organic insecticides, was originally prepared in 1873, but it was not until 1939 that Paul Muller of Geigy Pharmaceutical in Switzerland discovered the effectiveness of DDT as an insecticide he was awarded the Nobel Prize in medicine and physiology in 1948 for this discovery

i am that bored i looked it up :)

• Advertisement

lol:D thanks now i can be more of a wrestling nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

I heard jeff hardy say the the first time he did a summer sault senton, he landed flat on his back and got thw ind totally knocked out of him. He practised the move and realised when he flipped, if he jerked his upper body quickly (bent back and shot out his arms) he could control it better we he landed, as well as making a loulder noise, hense selling the move better.
    His trainer at the time, which may have been Dory Funk Jr, I cant remember said, his flipping senton looked very unique almost like a swan taking flight. Jeff Hardy, being the mad man his is, took to this and named the move after it.

A move people always ask me, why it is called as such is the Irish whip. I was told some where it was similar to a ''whip'' which is a dancing manouver in a traditional Irish gigs. Suposedly the carneys that invented professional wrestling were second generation Irish Americans. But that might just be crap...

Hanza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

Well the irish had some sort invovlment in pro wrestling.

Was it the collar and something tie up.

Or something like that

Kind of, the collar and elbow tie up is a derivative of an ancient gaelic wrestling form called....wait of it.....Collar and Elbow Style, it was the start position for the wrestling match much like it is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭Brian Houlihan

cool so basically the irish helped wrestling in a way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement