Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a cheap small car...

Options
  • 11-10-2002 1:31pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭

And so far a skoda felicia has caught my eye, 1997, 60 k, excellent cond, fsh etc. I've heard skoda have been taken over by the VW group, and that they are pretty reliable now, anyone had any experience with these?

btw, they are looking for less than €3000, so even if it depreciation is high in these brand, it can't go much farther!

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Legbreaker
    And so far a skoda felicia has caught my eye, 1997, 60 k, excellent cond, fsh etc. I've heard skoda have been taken over by the VW group, and that they are pretty reliable now, anyone had any experience with these?
    They're now fantastic little cars apparently. The superb VW workmanship has been incorporated into them, and I've heard only good things about them. I got into a taxi last year, looked around and said, "Is this a Passat?" (the car looked like a Passat inside, but there were things not exactly the same). "Nope, a skoda. Looks and feels like the Passat, but cost me £3000 less". So eh.....go for it ;)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Some have voiced concerns over the smaller skoda cars. Others say that this model wouldn't be under the vw banner yet. Anyone have one?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Legbreaker, IMHO Skoda are one of the best(Yet under-rated)makes of car.(BTW I dont work for Skoda)
    The felicia is a reliable workhorse of a car,giving very little trouble.As a matter my dad just bought a 1.9 diesel and hasnt been happier--He used to drive toyotas,ford etc.
    For €3000 you cant go wrong-My dad paid 5500 for his 1999 one.
    Depends on the insurance-VW parts can be quite expensive and usually Insurance companies will increase the policy accordingly.

And yes the felicia is under the VW banner ,the engines are the same as POLOs Lupos etc.The diesel is the same as the passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Felicia was the Favorite until VW took full control of Skoda, all the important bits are VW parts-bin stuff and
    I'd buy one without worry, all other things being equal.

€3000 for a 97 model is a sound buy! :) Its a 1.3 I take it?

Mike.

1.3 all right, i may go for one next time. I bought a jap import toyota starlet today, and as this is from a garage i get a bit of a warranty.

1993 1.3l 16 valve e/w, p/s, a/c, remote c/l, alloys, 100000 km, looks fabulous, really sporty too. Even had a remote for the stereo. Cost 2600, so i think i did pretty well there. Hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

A starlet gt turbo is what ya want, lovely cars

If i got the turbo my insuarance company would blow a gasket!

Now that i've actually got the car, i have a few questions for the car guru's out there.

It's a 1993 toyota starlet, 3 door jap import. Fully electric, has an "S" on the back on the passenger side. Anyone know where I could get a manual? (I've heard they are handy)

It also has all this original toyota stereo stuff. Anyone know where i can find a manual for this toyota audio stuff? It has a full bay under the radio for a graphic equalizer. which looks a bit excessive to me (a little knightrider :-) )

Any way, thanks!

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

suppose the best place to look for a manual would be a toyota dealer.

Thanks, i'll swing by one on the way home. Was kinda hoping to find a download link somewhere on the net, but no luck!

Advertisement