Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDA Recommendations?

• 11-10-2002 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Anyone got some PDA recommendations?...

I'm finally coming around to the idea of using one, but trying to decide which is the best model / make out there in the marketplace in respect of functionality, connectivity and form. Any suggestions?

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

in terms of functionality.. i suppose palm or handspring but if you want a little more fun and some fancy graphics, a pocket PC like the Compaq Ipaq is the best way to go.. especially the BlueTooth one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'm also thinking of buying one, but I'm probably going to wait for Dell to release their PDA. It's rumoured to be out mid-november and cost $199 for the 300Mhz model in the US ( confirmed by Dell according to theinquirer.net ). It is not supposed to be the slimmest though...

You can see some specs here and the price here

Of course, who knows when it will reach Ireland, or how much it will cost.... however, looking at the US price comparisons, it should still be a whole lot cheaper then other PDA's on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

You should really give us an indication of how much you want to pay, what exactly you want it to do, what size etc...
    ...however,

If you're lookin for good battery life, an enormous range of downloadable games, apps, utils, you name it, and PC connectivity - you should check out a Palm organiser. I love mine :)

If you want cheap and cheerful (and a tiny screen), the m100 range is for you. The more snazzy and cool lookin m500 range is, obviously more expensive - but its OS (operating system) is upgradeable, and has a larger screen.

Some models have a mono, others a colour screen.
    Mono is better on batteries, colour is better on your eyes.

Palm handheld comparison chart

I can't speak for other brands, but Sony Clie, and Handspring both use the Palm OS.

As a footnote, you should really consider rechargeable batteries (unless the particular model has an inbuilt battery, which btw can be annoying if you lose juice and don't have the cradle with you). NiMh are better than NiCAD.

Hope that helps :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Right - I have to throw my tuppence worth in here.

If you are looking for a phone/PDA combo, I can wholeheartedly reccomend the Ericsson R380. The phone is a little on the large side, but has all the usual features of a good Ericsson phone. Turn the phone sideways and flip open the cover and you have a touch sensitive screen. The PDA functions are e-mail, calendar, to-do, alarm clock and a simple game, among others. Using a stylus, you can write directly onto the screen, or type out the letters. It certainly makes sending SMS text messages easy.

The two major downsides to the device are a monochrome screen and no ability to download programs into it. It's not for everybody, but, as regular readers of this forum will know, I can't recommend it enough. Of course, that is until I get my P800...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Well - right now I'm considering the IPAQ (not the bluetooth version) and the Palm as options. What I want it for is the ability to sync mail and calender to my desktop for business reasons, as I'm on the move a lot. Also the ability to download news headlines etc. when connected.

Price is not an issue.. functionality is.

c0y0te

• Advertisement

I've been using the O2 XDA for the last few weeks.
    It's go a nice colour screen, pocket word, excel,outlook and full internet explorer with gprs and all the usual PDA stuff aswell.

The e-mail on the move and internet end of it is an excelent thing to have.
    It cost €500 including vat via an O2 Rep.
    I can reccommend it, but maybe not as a phone.It's small enough to be put in your pocket or jacket without nocicing it's there , but if you're used to a small phone, it will make you appreciate the tiny size of your phone.
    Making calls with a stylus pen is not to be done in the pub either.
    mm

Advertisement