Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gps

Options
  • 11-10-2002 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Heya,

Father is looking for some sort of gps set up for his van (delivers stuff all over the country) and needs a good, easy to use and affordable set up to be able to guide him through the country.

Anyone got a link / phone number of where i get some info on this (ie one that comes with a good irish map - although i thought i heard something about all the irish gps maps were bad or something, although that could just be me making up things :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I bought a Garmin gps unit last year with a view to connecting it to a laptop.

AFAIK Ireland hasn't been "mapped" to the same degree as say the U.K.

I once had a cab driver in London demonstrate the GPS system he had - it showed all the roads, junctions, lanes etc. Told him when to turn, what road he was currently on etc.

In Ireland it really just works "as the bird flies" in a straight line.

If you just need to know where you are, ie. Long and Lat then it will work, but it won't guide you around.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

microsoft autoroute works fairly well to give you a rough idea on main roads, but most irish ordenance survey was so far off it was awful (often more than 500m) it's being updated now so things will look up soon enough, but apparently they are charging extortionate sums for the so thats scaring the mapping companies off. Though some private companies are doing a great job check out that mapping on iol.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by sirlinux
    microsoft autoroute works fairly well to give you a rough idea on main roads, but most irish ordenance survey was so far off it was awful (often more than 500m) it's being updated now so things will look up soon enough, but apparently they are charging extortionate sums for the so thats scaring the mapping companies off. Though some private companies are doing a great job check out that mapping on iol.ie

Microsoft Autoroute Ireland mapping is appalling. The most appalling coverage of any European country. I have never found an Ordnance Survey (quaint name) map incorrect relative to data from my GPS.

The issue with ordnance survey is price. The same as eircom. The state mapping agency charge far more than any other state mapping agency in Europe for digital data.

And our dumb government who is clueless about infrastructure - be it CD ROM maps, broadband internet, digital television, digital radio, postcodes, public transport, motorways, integrated ticketing, road signposting, etc. etc.

sax0000

Advertisement