Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

winXP monitor refresh rates

• 12-10-2002 1:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I'm very picky about my display refresh.. but in winXP most games run at 60hz, even while in the same resolution as my desktop. Quakeworld runs at 70hz, and the only game that I can play comfortably is quake3, because it has a config command r_displayrefresh which means I can get my 144hz.

Is there any way around this, I know hztool used to do the trick in win98, is there a similar utility for WinXP or can it be solved in another way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Have a look here. Then grab RefreshForce from the link on that page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

nice one, it works very well - thanks sceptre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i wonder why ms havent fixed this by now would it be so hard for them to put it into the next sp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oculusdei

I believe it is fixed (partially) in XP SP1. Not all refresh rates supported by your monitor are available but you can go higher the 60Hz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Oculusdei
    I believe it is fixed (partially) in XP SP1. Not all refresh rates supported by your monitor are available but you can go higher the 60Hz.

That's right - with sp1 installed it takes the current refresh rate you have in windows and uses that for the game. I'm happy enough with that to be honest but I can understand others wanting more (or just what they get with win98).

• Advertisement
Advertisement