Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection dies - any ideas?

Options
  • 12-10-2002 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I've been having a problem with my internet connection for the past few weeks. Whenever I try to play either Counter-Strike online, roughly 3 out of 5 times in between logging on and joining a server my connection will have died.

By this, I mean that the game times out, and when I exit back to windows the internet connection is unresponsive. The little thing next to the clock is still there, and the firewall shows my computer still sending out data but getting none in return. Internet Explorer can access no sites, the ping and tracert commands time out. Only reconnecting gets things moving along again.

This also happens when I play Warcraft 3, but aside from that the connection is fine. I can be happily browsing the internet for two hours with absolutely no problem, log on to Counter-Strike, and be effectively disconnected within two minutes.

I don't believe that this has anything to do with my ISP, as I have tried the games on Indigo and Eircom as well as UTV. This leads me to believe it may be my modem, a Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone Modem which is about two years old, as I have reformatted my system and am still experiencing this.

I've already exhausted all my ideas on what this could be and how to fix it, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I had a problem like this before it turned out to be Zonealarm It went away after re-installing windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I've experienced this also and also have ZoneAlarm installed, however, you migh have a v92 modem which AFAIK disconnects if it senses a call trying to get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carbon Blob

So, will I have to reinstall windows again without Zonealarm this time, or will just uninstalling it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Not necesseraly...

I've heard of this before and fixed it. Anyone that worked in Gateway should know this..

2 Questions
    What OS are you using?

If its M$ what Version on Internet Explorer you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Carbon Blob

Windows 98 Second Edition, and Internet Explorer 5. I have the auto-disconnect turned off already if thats what you were going to suggest ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement