Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gainward gf4 ti4200 gs?

• 12-10-2002 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

i was thinking about getting the gainward gf4 ti4200 but is it worth 20 euro extra to get the golden sample whats the differnce between it and the regular version

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭Wossack

From Gainward.com:
    "All of Gainwards Genuine and Unique "Golden Sample" products
    guarantee outstanding stability and preformance at significantly
    enhanced clock settings by using hand selectled graphics
    processors, carefully qualified Ultra-DDR memory chips and
    advanced proprietary hardware tuning techniques to offer
    absolute leading-edge preformance for the 3d enthusiast.

No wonder Gainwards "Golden Sample" products have recently
    won most of the industry awards."

Might be worth the 20 quid just for all the marketing hyperbole :D

I think you get dvd player software with GS cards aswell
    (winDVD), not sure if its the case with non-GS....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Never had a golden sample meself but i think they are supposed to overclock a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭Wossack

Yeah just found this aswell:

Support Performance Enhancement Mode.

All the GS Gainwards have that listed in their details....
    Theres a gainward overclocking utility that comes on the driver
    cd. I guess the non GS ones dont have it / support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

so is the differnce between the 2 mainly software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by tuxx
    so is the differnce between the 2 mainly software?

HardOCP
    As we all know, Gainward has shown us they are an extremely worthy player in the video card battle scene and have become quite well-known for the overclockability of their video cards. We take note of this again with the "Golden Sample" part in the product name, which indicates that the parts chosen on this video card are of a higher quality when it comes to thinks like overclocking and tweaking. This model is the 128MB version, which means at stock speeds the memory is clocked at 222MHz (444MHz DDR).

article here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by Wossack
    Yeah just found this aswell:

Support Performance Enhancement Mode.

All the GS Gainwards have that listed in their details....
    Theres a gainward overclocking utility that comes on the driver
    cd. I guess the non GS ones dont have it / support it.

All gainward cards come with the overclocking utility.. its built into their own particular drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I gather that the cards make it into a "golden sample" bundle if they pass certain stability tests while overclocked. As far as I can see, the problem with this is that non golden sample cards would therefore have much less chance at overclocking, as the prime cards are picked off and rebadged.

I have a golden sample gf3 ti200 ( or ti/500 as they decided to call it ) which does overclock very well. Was it worth it? I dunno, it runs games very nicely without overclocking....

Zab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

The gainward overclocking utility is a separate program, it works fine with the reference NVidia drivers. I have a 128MB GS Ti4200 board, which runs stably at 315/555, in a well ventilated tower case. (I think HardOCP got 320/560 out of their review board, but as far as I can tell, the hardware sites generally do their testing on the bench). Since I bought mine, Asus have come out with their Ti4200 product, which (at least in the Deluxe version) has faster RAM chips than the Gainward Ti4200 board, I believe it's the highest clocking Ti4200 around right now, dunno how the price/availability compares.

thanks for the replies i guess the gs is worth 20 euro extra because i do like to overclock
    [edit]iv just had a closer look at the pics of the cards the gs seems to have heatskinks on the ram the other dosnt[/edit]

i forgot to ask will a gf4 run ok in a abit kt7a iv flashed it to the latest bios version
    and do i need to buy leads to hook it up to a tv or do they come with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by tuxx
    and do i need to buy leads to hook it up to a tv or do they come with it?

It'll come with a s-video->composite convertor.. you'll need a lead to connect this to a video-in on your tv.
    Alternatively get a scart->composite/l-r audio cable if your tv doesn't have a composite video-in.

Don't put much faith in its ability to work properly though...
    a) the connector/convertor it comes with is terrible.
    b) even with a s-video cable connected to the card it sometimes fails to pick up the display device (be it tv/projector whatever).

well thats a bitch i was hoping to use it to watch dvd's on my tv :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I got one of these a little while ago, great card

Advertisement