Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice on setting up a wireless LAN 802.11

• 12-10-2002 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

got 2 houses about 30-50m apart really. I want to link them using a wireless system, so don't want to spend huge amounts. Idea was a wireless switch system/ router and everybody then has a card to connect through that... but wireless systems I don't know much about to be honest.

anybody have any suggestions and such. I don't want to have to forgot out a fortune for this the main piece is grand, the router.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Can u see the other house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Lord Khan

Yes other side of the road.... but there is a bush a thick one about .75m and it well covers the first floor...

I basically want to set up a switch system like we had for a wired lan, with no dedicated computer needed just one router running.

there is 1 PC downstairs, but they had the idea of routing through a second box upstair and from that to the other computers but for the low bandwidth of wired, I was thinking against that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Am I correct in assuming both houses dont already have an existing network, or are you wanting to link the 2 house networks?

Brendan

No current networks in place but it is possible to setup that way.

The orginal plan was that there would be networks running in both houses use cable and link those using wireless system, but just had trouble with the actual details of setting that up.

The Current plan is to setup 1 network wireless. with a main unit and all the computers with the cards. Just worried about the correct walls :).

Easyest thing to do is get 2 usb NICS, they have external antena so better range. Stick em both in infastructure mode and ure 2 PC's should be ble to talk to each other(put em near the window though).

One of u could set up a access point and then both of u conect through that in infstructure mode. This may be better in some situations, but more expensive because u need a nic for each PC and an access point.

You shouldn't have too much hassle no matter what way ya set it up. If ya can find somebody with wireless gear might be an idea to try it out first.

There is plenty of online docs on how wireless works, security may be a problem for you though.

• Advertisement

that's the thing ... tis not just 2 pcs Tis a total of 6.

3 in each house. and tehy all won't be on at the same time ... want to keep the ESB bills down from that side :). so the idea of a single 24hr station would seem best.

yeah, been trying to get hold of some wireless to give it a spin here but no go. Nobody here has the eq I need it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

What you need is something like to Linksys WAP11's in bridging mode. This will allow you to connect two wired networks wirelessly. Shouldn't cost more than $100 for each WAP11.

Yeah an Access Point is probably your best bet. If i were you id head up to the IrishWan AGM, you might pick up somthin t the bring and buy sale. The talks might give you a better idea of how it all works, espically the security concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Come along to the IrishWan Agm in the Saggart Arms on Sunday and you might just pick up some bargains :)

http://www.irishwan.org

Advertisement