Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB problem

• 13-10-2002 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a laptop with a single USB port in the back and I want to use more than one USB device at once - specifically the Sound Blaster Extigy and a Logitech QuckCam 3000 Pro.

I got myself a (powered) Belkin 4-Port USB hub specifically for this purpose but lo and behold it doesn't work properly.

The Sound Blaster Extigy operates fine through the hub but the QuickCam doesn't. An icon appears in my taskbar tray which, when double clicked, produces a window saying "The Logitech USB Camera (Pro 3000) is connected to a hub that does not have enough power to support it." and it shows a list of available ports and suggests I move it to one of the other ports (shown in bold).

Thing is, from the list shown, Windows seems to think that the Belkin hub is hanging off one of THREE USB ports on my computer whereas I only have ONE and it's suggesting I use one of the other two (apparently imaginary) ports for my QuckCam.

I looked up Microsoft's web site concerning the error and it said it was a common error for UNpowered hubs. This hub, however, is running on its own adapter power... so I'm stumped.

I uninstalled and reinstalled everything from device manager. Problem still persists.

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP1, - patched with all available updates from Windows Update.

The QuickCam works fine when plugged into the laptop's USB port on it's own. The Extigy works fine either way. ...But!... I really need to be able to use both devices at once - hence the hub.

I don't get it... anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

MS SideWinder Pro joypad and HP ScanJet 5300C Scanner also work fine through the hub.

It's only the QuickCam that doesn't.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Only two things I can think of:

Make sure the laptop is on mains, not battery power.

Also, try the setup on another PC/Laptop to see if it works.

I have one of those hubs at home and I have used it with various devices on a laptop on mains power. Other than that, I'm not too sure.

TD.

Laptop is on mains.

In the properties within Windows XP of the hub device, it tells me that the hub is bus powered. This is not the case as I've plugged it in via its adapter to the mains.

The hub only turns on, however, when the computer is on. Mind you, I assume this is because it monitors for a signal on the USB cable and not because it is, in fact, 'bus powered'.

Every other peripheral works through the hub.

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

...you may be out of luck, POS usb port h/w wise

could never get a hp 8230 working on one (tried 2 or 3 inspirons with no hub) where the same machine worked fine with everything else including an iMac

M

It's not a Dell - it's an Advent 6417, and there doesn't seem to be any problem whatsoever with the USB hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

sounds like the hub isn't getting power tbh

Originally posted by astrofool
    sounds like the hub isn't getting power tbh

well, when the LED power light only lights up if its connected to the laptop's USB port, it looks a little fishy... I'll try it with another power adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

if the leds on the usb hub dont light up till u power on the laptop..

its a problem with the usb hub psu..

when powered from the mains it should be powered on all the time

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    now I feel stupid...

I found a " Bus <--> Self " switch on the side of the hub

gack!!!

(it now works fine)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

these things happen :-)
    Took me 10minutes yesterday to figure out
    how to open a xjack nic connector :-)

turned out it was jammed so i forced the ****er out lol :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would just hope it took the dixons staff to point that out, while u were in complaining about broken power unit. :)

Originally posted by astrofool
    I would just hope it took the dixons staff to point that out, while u were in complaining about broken power unit. :)

no.

found it myself. t'was just an oversight on my part

Advertisement