Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Legal reasons for not having www rte & n2 streaming

• 13-10-2002 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Not sure what forum to put this but here goes.

Why can't a tv station have streaming content permenently.

I'm talking about going to rte.ie and looking at rte in real one or whatever. I know anyone from any country could do it.

What about if every tv licence holder was given a code unique for accessing the live stream. And told that any instances of the code being accessed from different ip's @same time would result some form of punishment etc.

This would be almost better for the tv companies than tv cards as only truely advanced users would be able to record the stream and the stream would not be off a quality that people would want to record anways.

Really what i'm looking for here is what are the legal reasons stopping this. If it was there would you use it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The legal reasons would be a matter of programme rights, broadcasters only buy the rights for their own region, internet access is worldwide. A restricted service would be expensive to operate, and with the lack of broadband access in Ireland I cannot see much interest in such a service anyway. Even if broadband access was cheap and easily available I doubt it would be much in demand. Several MB/s would be required to approach broadcast TV quality and it would be a big drain on your PC's processing power. What would the point be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭vAWOL

Who said anything about broadcast quality. A few years ago rte streamed the telethon. That must have been 3/5 years ago. With the advance in compression a watchable signal would be easily attainable. 56k users can get streaming content, it's not great but its there. A full screen 2:30 trailer in quicktime is only 29 mb which is far from needing a several mb/sec connection you do the math. And thats the highest quality apple trailers offers.

Broadcasting rights.......access only given to irish citizen with tv license. What about only offering in conjunction with irish service providers, meaning you'd need to have an ip based in eire or have connected to a specific/any irish internet provider.

Everyone knows that you can buy digibox in eire go to france and still get rte,net2 etc. Possibly the internet way would be able to be made more secure.

Also i'm not saying that everybody is going to seel their tv's and buy a pc. THis is just a service for those who are sitting at pc and wanna have whatever plyin inthe corner. A small 240x136 window would suffice. In the tvlicence it says your paying for any machine capable of revieving tv signal.........well why not tv-signal via web.

Advertisement