Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 13-10-2002 9:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

no, no, no, before you get your knickers in a knot, i'm not asking for custom avatars, or for a new batch of avatars from some obscure tv show for the 80s, so don't worry.

i'm just wondering if there's some way to tell which one/s are the most popular? i've noticed that quite a few people have the same ones, but what's the most used avatar?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hehe I often wondered that too... so I did a check:

7000 people havent chosen an avatar but of those that did...
    (the first number is how many people have it.... the second the ID of that avatar and the third is the name of the avatar...)
    37 7 Animaniacs - Brain 
    19 224 Calvin And Hobbes - Evil Calvin 
    16 26 Animaniacs - Pinky 
    15 242 Cartoons - Hello Kitty 
    14 301 Danger Mouse - Danger Mouse 
    14 786 Muppets - Animal 
    14 39 Animaniacs - Wakko 
    14 1748 Wallace And Gromit - Happy Penguin 
    13 55 Austin Powers - DrEvil 
    12 318 Dilbert - Dogbert King 
    11 305 Danger Mouse - Penfold 
    11 789 Muppets - Cookie Monster 
    11 1709 Transformers - OptimusPrime 
    11 1694 Transformers - EvilDecepticons 
    11 11 Animaniacs - Chicken Boo 
    11 314 Dilbert - Dilbert 2 

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

An idea was mentioned at a certain lan i attended (it never happened, forget i mentioned it... ).

How about if you get to 1000 posts your avatar is locked to you? Failing that, how about paying for the exclusive use of your avatar?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Any reward at all for post count size puts pressure on the spammers to spam. It gives them a reason to do it you see... they are helpless to resist you see...

We're thinking about a pack of stuff for people who want to support the site etc (and get a good deal in the process!). Avatars may be one of those things...

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Maybe over 1000 posts but under a certain amount of posts a day. Would be that spammy then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by PPC
    Would be that spammy then.

Would be that english?

.logic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The whole concept of being able to lock your avatar either through a small payment or post count or whatever is a really good one, I think (then again I would say this since I suggested it :) ) - basically I find myself scanning down threads and identifying familiar avatars, then doing a double-take when I read the post attached and find it's very out of character for the person I expected it to be :)

Avatars are a great way to identify regular posters but when a newbie poster takes the same avatar as an established one it all goes horribly wrong...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

How about once a user has been registered for a year they can lock their avatar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Indeed, all these things would be nice, but giving the spammers an extra reason to spam is never good.

Also, you'd end up with people taking other peoples avatars and forcing them to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by logic1
    Would be that english?

.logic.

english be it.

I still think the idea of paying for an account with the extra features is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by PPC
    I still think the idea of paying for an account with the extra features is a good idea.

Ditto. My own avatar. My own title. My own e-mail.
    I like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'd pay to get my avatar locked for me..

I also agree with shinji - i end up scanning threads and looking at the avatars instead of actual nicks of the posters. Once newbies come along and theif them, my mind shatters into many pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

But would you be able to maybe use 2? Max 2. Cause I sometimes switch between this one and the Dirty Snowman from Charlie Brown (/me rubs hands together and leers slimely)

Just an idea - they happen sometimes. Not often :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I donated a piece of RAM to boards and I got my own custom Iron Maiden avatar! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

i indorse this product and/or thinghy!

i just started this account on boards, but before i did i really didn't want to have to start all over again it was the fact that a noobie took my avatar (the lead singer in primus...the southpark guy with the hat?...no not mr. hat...never mind) but anyway it was this ikkle fact that just pushed me over the edge and start again!

although cusom avatars would rock, i think paying or contributing in some way is a great way to keep your avatar your own and its also a great idea for rewarding regular users.

(p.s.- is there such thing as good spam, come on there has to be!:p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i too associate users by avatar. would be nice of only one person could use a given avatar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i dont read anything said by anyone and only look for my avatar because it means someone said something sensible for a change.

or something....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I thought you just have everyone on ignore WWM.

Advertisement