Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[VOTE] So, finally... how are you going to vote on Nice.

Options
  • 13-10-2002 11:22pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dont post here. There are plenty of other discussions going on.
    Just tell us Yes No or Dunno Yet.

DeV.

How will you vote on Nice? 76 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    52% 40 votes
    Dunno Yet (Atari Jaguar)
    40% 31 votes
    Will not vote
    6% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I've added the missing fourth option deV - hope you dont mind.

jc

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

no should have thought of it. I'm probably not going to vote myself as I prefer my Government not knowing where I live thanks all the same.

Paranoid? No... I've seen the sort of info governments collect on people, and I'd rather they had as little of mine as possible.

DeV.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by DeVore
    I'm probably not going to vote myself as I prefer my Government not knowing where I live thanks all the same.

Paranoid? No... I've seen the sort of info governments collect on people, and I'd rather they had as little of mine as possible.

The Yes/No debate is being well covered elsewhere, so I'm not going to discuss that at all.
    However, having just read your above statement, I am absolutely appalled.
    First of all, I think that if you are not prepared to excercise your democratic right, nay duty you should not engage in political debate, full stop.
    This is one of the worst forms of hypocrisy and you should be ashamed of yourself (I'm serious).

Your excuse is a feeble one at best, I would imagine that the Government/State already have your address and quite a few other details too (unless of course your birth was not registered in this country and you don't pay tax or have a passport/driving licence etc. etc. etc.).

Remember people: it's your duty as a citizen to vote, and if you don't make some attempt to influence the outcome of the referendum, you have no right whatsoever to bitch about the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Sorry samson, but I would see it as My constitutional right not to vote, if not duty not to vote given that this unchanged referemdum(sp-sorry) is consititionaly void.

The constitution states referendems as a vote of final appeal, and given that this referendum is unchanged, Undemocratic, and unconstitutional.

Also I threw away my democratic right to vote on nice at the last referrendum, thus I feel it would be hipocritical to use it this time, because the goverment feels that those who did get off their arses last time "got it wrong".

I will Not vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes i just read this thread after i started one of my own and how dumb it now looks. Ah well .

Dev Paranoid , prolly not.

There is a huge ammount of information that the government or
    those who want to it can get on any of us.
    The dept of socail welfare is looking into requesting bank info on suspect people,
    If you have a gas bill, esb bill or a phone bill of nearly any describtion that info is advailible as they are semi state bodies.

Tv liense, any purchase you make with a credit card, laser card, customer card, or which requires you giving your name /address/phone no.

oh and anyone that has ever been involved in politics no matter how . Anyone that gets voted in as an officer in the students unions has a file started on them, and if they get involed with
    other groups what have any polictal motivations it can be updated or reopened. Anyone that ever got involved in organising a fund raiser for a group with a polictal aganda .

Saving the plant/feeding the poor/helping the homeless
    It is well know that there where photos of people at the Glen of the Mal protests that where taken for the Garda ect.

If a former employer of yours is asked by the garda for info on you they will in most cases comply no questions asked.

I'm not paraniod merely a realist who will be voting for my additude is Stuff 'em . I'll be who i am and if they feel the need to keeps tabs on me that is thier problem. I have not done anything that I dont standby ( not saying i wont cringe as i get older)
    But it is unlikely i'll ever run for President.

A life lived in fear is not lived at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Samson
    Remember people: it's your duty as a citizen to vote,

You've been watching too much Starship Troopers methinks.

As a citizen it is your right to vote. It is not your duty to do so.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

was it not said Dont post here ??

LOL, i just posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

It is your duty to do what you think is right for the country you live in.
    If that means voting No or voting Yes, then that is what you should do. If like me you have many reservations about the Treaty of Nice, you have reservations about the re running of the Treaty and would rather see a more amicable Treaty supplanted in Nice's stead then you should vote No.

Abstain, only if you can see logic in doing so, your vote is your power, so use it and use it wisely. The wisest use in my opinion is to vote against the Treaty and to defeat it again, but get involved, don't just sit on the fence have your say, contribute to the discourse.

Ask not what your country can do for you and such.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Noone is forced to vote and if you think that because I am not going to vote I cant have or voice an opinion, you're not very bright.

I dont vote in general because I see no options available to me. Choose between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael? Why, what the fnck is the difference? Elect some crackpot single issue nut job? No thanks, at least with the big parties we can predict they will line their own pockets and lie. We cant be sure what the others will do.

As for being paranoid. You think what you like. I happen to know the sort of information collected not only by our Government but by others too. I'm in at least one database in the US Embassy listed as a civil rights activists (which is quite flattering considering I dont do that much on the topic these days) along with keywords: hacker (untrue) internet (true) activist (flattering) and some other business related keywords.
    All of this from a piece written in the Times about me a good while ago.

I dont want to vote on Nice because I am not entirely convinced (though I favour a No vote for its reactionary value). Also, to be honest what we vote is going to be reasonably indifferent to what happens long term.

Personally, so long as my government stays out of my face and doesnt get in my way doing what I want to do with my life I dont much care what stupid rules they enact or how much they slap themselves on the back and pocket corrupt money.
    As Prodigy say: Fnck them, and their law.

I have the right to express my UTTER dissapointment with my government and how meaningless they are to me by not voting.

DeV.

ps: the only time I've EVER voted btw was for Mary Robinson as opposed to Brian Lenihan because I simply couldnt stomach him and Haughey holding the two highest offices in the land at the same time.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by DeVore:

Dont post here.
    OK.

Also, I most certainly won't post about the information the government may or may not have on us, even though it was implicit in the title and in the statement don't post here.

Just to clear that up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Which raises the question why do you want to know what way we're voting? Keeping tabs on us eh?
    Making up a nice list eh?
    Matching it with your demographics eh?
    Eh?

WELL??

I'M PUTTING THE CAP ON YOU KNOW. YOU WONT GET ME.

Advertisement