Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCarthy to quit in 2004 "no matter what"

• 14-10-2002 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

From http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1067168,00.html :
    Mick McCarthy says he will quit as Republic of Ireland manager after their Euro 2004 qualifying campaign has come to an end - no matter what the outcome.

McCarthy, preparing for the Sky Live clash with Switzerland on Wednesday, has been linked with a string of Premiership posts, and was favourite to replace Peter Reid at Sunderland before Howard Wilkinson was appointed last week.

But club management is where the former Millwall boss sees himself in the long-term, and he will not seek to stay with the Irish beyond his current contract, even if he leads his country to Portugal in the summer of 2004.

He said: "I'd like to qualify for the European Championships and then I will have done eight years in the job and I think that's more than enough.

"I will go away from it, whatever happens. Even if we qualify I will go and look for a job.

"I would still like to manage in the Premiership," he added. "I'll manage a football club but the kick is the team. That's what drives us all on, I imagine. It certainly drives me: the football matches.

"You can have more of an influence on the players at a club. That is the best part of the job, training with the players, doing coaching sessions, not all the other stuff that goes with it."

Cathal Dervan - ghost-writer of McCarthy's forthcoming World Cup diaries - has suggested McCarthy may even be ready to walk away from his post before his deal runs out, as the fallout from Roy Keane's international retirement continues to dog the manager.

McCarthy himself admits his annoyance at persistent questioning about Keane's controversial departure just days before the start of the World Cup , but he has refused to blame the furore for Ireland's disappointing start to their Group 10 campaign - a 4-2 defeat in Russia.

"While that remains it doesn't do us any favours but that's the way it is, I'm afraid.

"I'm not going to suggest that anything to do with the performance in Moscow was down to that. But when you are preparing for a big game, you don't want to be answering questions about that."

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

FFS - The pain of listening to that gimp for the next 2 years and watching him put out our worst team match after match!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

"........and there was great rejoicing! Yay yay!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Let us just emphasise what Cathal Dervan says... McCarthy may even be ready to walk away from his post before his deal runs out.

With the increasing pressure on him from the 'Roy Keane affair', this seems to be a fairly strong possibility...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

run Mick run.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

the sooner he skidadles the better. If he plays Duff up front again on Wednesday he should be fired. IMHO he should play

Given
    Finnan-Cuningham-O'Shea-Kelly
    --Reid---Holland---Healey--Duff--
    Keane----Morrison

of course I'd rather have Roy Keane in the centre but as long as Mick is in charge, that ain't gonna happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Unfortunately Reid and Finnan are both injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In the unlikely event of a defeat against Switzerland, he will quit I think. But if we win and keep winning, the pro-Keane knives will be silenced, and we'll have him for the 2 years more.

Two World Cups and two European Championships (not that we competed in all of the above!) is even longer than normal. Two failed campaigns should be enough to get the sack, but after 4 major tournaments, enough is enough, things will be getting stale. The story is no big surprise though.

Originally posted by Kone
    Unfortunately Reid and Finnan are both injured.

I know. It's just the team I'd like to see played but of course McCarthy is such a stubborn f*cker he'll continue to be 'loyal' to the likes of Kilbane and continue to play Duff up front. Pratt!

If Mc Carthy plays Duff up font and Kilbane on the left again,im going run into FAI headquaters with an AK45 and kill every mother fcuker in the room.......whilst chanting pro duff on the left slogans :)

the problem is, the man is so fcuking stubborn, he probably will play Duff up front, just to prove that he won't be swayed by public opinion. We could have won the World Cup if it wasn't for his stupidity and stubborness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Originally posted by LFCFan
    the problem is, the man is so fcuking stubborn, he probably will play Duff up front, just to prove that he won't be swayed by public opinion. We could have won the World Cup if it wasn't for his stupidity and stubborness.

Lets not get carried away shall we :)

WC is done and dusted

it still hurts :mad:

Originally posted by Sposs
    If Mc Carthy plays Duff up font and Kilbane on the left again,im going run into FAI headquaters with an AK45 and kill every mother fcuker in the room.......whilst chanting pro duff on the left slogans :)

No you won't.

Anyway, I personally believe that McCarthy will end up deciding to leave well before his remaining 2 years is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Sounds like McCarthy has his mind on other things other than managing the National team? Why doesn't he go now and save us all the trouble?

but that would be the right thing to do, and he's hardly known for doing the right thing, now is he?

I think its gonna depend on results, the pro-Keane agenda will have no legs if the results come good, if Switzerland beat us, he has to go.

No you won't.

yes i will.

There will be a protest at Merrion Square in the next few weeks, I will update shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I heard someone comment that the next game is'nt till the spring and chances are a few more Premeriship or top Division 1 jobs will have come availible before then, so if the Swiss roll Ireland over he'll be gone and new manager installed without causing too much disruption.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

WoooHooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

this means that when mccarthy is gone, roy keane will probably have retired from international football, so now we lose both the thick headed fools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Batemam I do not think it is just the pro Roy lobby sharpening their knives any more. I think most people would be happier to see him gone now. I do not think he will be there another two years, I would say there is a good chance he will be gone early next year. Maybe he will replace Wilko at Sunderland when he gets sacked, cause I just cant see that lasting even to the end of the season.

Originally posted by Sposs
    yes i will.

No, really you won't run into FAI headquaters with an AK45 and kill everyone in the room. Really. :rolleyes: Trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

there is reports stating that FAI are going to extend McCarthy's contract after Euro 2004 ...

teamtalk.com
    FAI chiefs plan to hold talks with Mick McCarthy in an attempt to persuade him to extend his contract as Republic of Ireland manager.
    McCarthy admitted earlier this week that he was keen to return to club management after the Euro 2004 championships in Portugal, regardless of whether the Republic qualify or not.
    However, despite recent criticism of McCarthy following his World Cup showdown with former captain Roy Keane and Ireland's 4-2 defeat to Russia in their opening Euro 2004 qualifier, the FAI insist it is fully behind his reign as national coach.
    McCarthy was recently linked to the Sunderland job, but FAI general secretary Brendan Menton says the link came as no surprise and that they were eager to tie the former Millwall boss down to a new deal.
    "We have risen to 13th in the Fifa rankings and reached the last 16 of the World Cup," Menton said on the eve of Ireland's Group 10 qualifier against Switzerland in Dublin on Wednesday.
    "Mick has been very, very successful and that has to be recognised. Mick's results have been fantastic.
    "We are delighted the Sunderland issue was quickly put to bed. We are not surprised his name is linked when jobs come up."
    Speaking to Sky Sports, Menton added: "We are delighted he is staying for the full Euro 2004 campaign and we will be speaking to him. We have a young team that is only improving.
    "Mick may have his own ambitions but we will certainly sit down with him before the end of his current contract."

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

:( No more McCarthy. Please!!! We've put up with him for six years, two more is all I can take! I can't say I'm surprised at the FAI though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I'll Miss Mick McCarthy. He is a good manager in my opinion.

At the same time, it will certainly be exciting to see who takes over from Mick.

/me salutes Mr. McCarthy.

Originally posted by CCCP^
    I'll Miss Mick McCarthy. He is a good manager in my opinion.

At the same time, it will certainly be exciting to see who takes over from Mick.

/me salutes Mr. McCarthy.

Sorry to inform ya but he sayed he staying another two years. :(

he's a twat. He's so predictable now. Play Kilbane on the left(who can't even get on the Sunderland team), Duff and Keane up front. 60 mins gone. Take of Kilbane put Morrison on up front with Keane and Duff on the left where he's supposed to be. Suddenly the team starts playing well. Then with 5 mins to go stick on the lanky boy to get a headed goal but leave gaps at the back. Same thing happened in Russia, yet he did it again. It's time for change. We've gone as far as we're gonna under Mick and it's time for new blood. Also, we NEED Roy back to give some steel in the middle of the park. As for Kinsella! Only for I saw his name on the starting lineup, I'd hardly have known he was there. He's too quiet.

Advertisement