Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXP Processes

• 14-10-2002 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at my processes list and there is over 40 of them. How many do other people have running in the background on their computers? What ones are needed to keep XP stable and what ones can I get rid of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Personally, I have about 10 background processes on my XP machine. 40 definitely sounds like too many.

First of all, run Ad-Aware to clean out all the advertising programs.

Secondly, here is a list of which WinXP services can be safely disabled in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Finally, start -> run -> msconfig. This will let you change which programs run automatically at login. Use this list to decide which startup programs are safe to disable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have Kazaa and DivX 5.02, Where can I get that file that lets you run Kazaa without spyware, Do you have to have GAIN installed to use DivX for encoding? I have Ad ware already. Any spy ware is attached to these programs and are a pain in the ar$e.

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Where can I get that file that lets you run Kazaa without spyware,
    Try Kazaa Lite
    Do you have to have GAIN installed to use DivX for encoding?
    I use DivX for encoding and I've never even heard of GAIN, so no. Are you using the DivX from the Nimo codec pack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

click on 'user name' in the process's window

the only ones you should be ending are the ones under your user name - the only one you *need* under ur name is explorer and what ever antivirus u might have

what you could try is to end process on everything else with your name only and see if the machine is more stable/faster etc

to get the system back to 'normal' just reboot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

If ya end svchost your pc will give ya a 60sec timer and then shut down.

as said before goto start>run>msconfig
    Goto the services tab(2nd last one) and tell it to show you the non ms services, then you can disable them accordingly.
    And do some of the startup items aswell if ya don't need em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well i have about 20- 25 process running in my Xp.

ani i have Kaza and a few other things installed, 40 seems a lot though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

No I use the Gordian Knot pack and I'm not paying for file sharing software. I wont be at my own PC until thursday night but alot are system processes as well. I have identified about 4 which can be disabled so far(i.e. One I definitely wont need)I have a MS Optical mouse should I disable point32.exe?

Originally posted by dempseyt
    I have a MS Optical mouse should I disable point32.exe?
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_p.htm
    Microsoft Intellipoint software for their Intellimouse series of mice.

Recommendation :
    If you are using Win98/ME/XP/2000, then unless you are using specific advanced features, we recommend fully de-installing the Intellipoint software via the "Add/Remove Programs" icon in the Control Panel, as most of the standard Intellipoint features have been integrated into the above operating systems, and the Intellipoint software does create [sometimes significant] problems under specific conditions.

Advertisement