Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP3 playing device of shoice!

• 14-10-2002 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was thinking of gettimg me a protable mp3 player and want to ask for youre opinions on 2 of the options I'm thinking about.
    first is a disc man that plays mp3`s burned to CD, and secondly i was thinking of getting a minidisk player.

I thing the discman could be heavier on batteries, that the mini disc though a mini disc is more expensive to but. Oh and I'm not even sure if a mini disc player can even play mp3`s.

So any one got any experience of either of these to players that you might want to share with the group?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I'd highly recommend the Mpio DMG 128MB mp3 player. It has the best specs I've come across and it only took 2 days to be delivered from http://www.exportmp3.com/?home

Go to that site and have a read about it then do a search on google.com for reviews, u won't find anything bad said about it at all!

U get 20hrs playback on 1AA battery too.

Btw, i dont think minidiscs can play mp3s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought myself a 6GB Jukebox player about 4 months ago. It really is the dog's boll*x. It holds about 1,000 songs so no need to carry around cd's/minidiscs. I would recommend it although it can be a bit flakey. One of their selling points is that it can be used as a storage device so I used it to transfer about 3 GB of data from work and I lost the lot. However for playing/storing MP3's it's the business. I bought it from the states on eBay (new) and asked the seller to mark the package value as $40. I was screwed if the parcel was lost but I wasn't hit by customs :D

If your going for the MP3/CD player I hear the Phillips Expium is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Sony Net MD is the way to go....

200+ track per tiny and super-portable disk :)
    Remember with an mp3 player, if you decide you want to listen to something different, you've to hook it up and load the new songs again & again....

Whereas with the MD, once you record the disk, it's done. Doesn’t take too long either (bout 20 minutes for the 200 songs on my Athlon 700mhz). Also makes it handy to swap/share disks etc.

I've no experience with the hard drive style players, but they're big aren't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by kamobe
    I've no experience with the hard drive style players, but they're big aren't they?

Compared to what, carrying a MD with a stack of discs? :P

They're about the size of a discman. The Ipod's a bit smaller.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Have a Sony MZR505 which is a cracking jobbie.

It is much smaller than the jukeboxes and much lighter.

Make sure it has NETMD alright, you can get a firewire cable for them and it will copy very fast.

From what I hear the DAP has a lot of problems. Never used one though

As for the weight I would rather have the option to have a light MD and carry around the discs if I needed them than have a larger MP3 player - :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

If ya do go for a cd-mp3 player steer well clear of the napa range.. Well crap !
    Sony have a nice one out, well over the 200 mark though.

Ive a 6gb DAP, Its alright but the battery life is atrocious, A week of music and 3hrs of battery life :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

So the mini disk gives you 200 hours in what format?
    Not mp3 then!

But 200 songs is grand per disk i think!
    Who needs to carry around a load of extra disks with 200 songs per disk 2 would me equivlent to 40 albums on CD then!

SO what is the battery of cd-mp3 player that sony have then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

http://www.iriver.com
    I'm getting the iMP-400 for christmas unless I spot something else even more spangly between now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

The new Creative Nomad Zen is sweet if ya just want a mp3 player.

The 20GB Nomad Jukebox Zen features a sleek, silver, compact design that's smaller than those of previous Creative Jukebox models. Like the Jukebox 3 before it, the Zen has both USB 1.1 and FireWire ports--a nice combination of compatibility and speed--as well as the same great sound. However, in creating a more affordable and compact player, Creative has ditched the recording capabilities and the additional outputs of the Zen's siblings. Whether you miss those extras will depend on what you're looking for in a hard drive-based MP3 player

20493054_440_1.gif

2.99x4.43x0.95-inch, 9.5-ounce

And its around $300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Drooooooooooooollllllll.

God damm Im getting me one of those baby's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Heres the Sony one. Apparently they have 2 or 3 cd-mp3 players now, but I doubt they look as good as that one :)

dcj01.jpg

Decent life too,
    *24 Hours Continuous MP3 Playback with 2 "AA" Batteries and 32 Hours Playback of Audio CDs*

It does look stylish, how much does one of them go for ?

Also how much does the 20 gig jobbie go for as well, After price is a concideration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by PPC
    And its around $300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Or how about the Apple ipod . It looks great, sounds great. And because pricing begins at €399, you will know that the sophisticated look, sound and build quality will have the chicks drooling all over you or at least the nerds in the other corner.

Comes in 5gig, 10 gig and 20 gig models.

You can also inscribe a 2 line message, perfect as a gift.

Note: I'm not an apple sales rep, just want one for xmas!:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I like that IPOD alright, I presume that it will connect to a PC?? not something daft that only an IMac will see it ??

Pity it did not have a radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I want one of these - iRiver IFP-180T, but I can't find anywhere to buy one. Anyone know where I can get one? I tried that dutch site mentioned in this thread but they won't accept my mastercard :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

prod_500277.jpg

fantastic device imo
    its fast, tons of capacity and can hold any data types
    sound quality is great and theres even some 3rd party firmware with some cool features including tetris and other games :D

one very happy archos jb 20 user here anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gelmir

I really want to get one of those Creative Zen jobbies but cant find a US site that will ship internationaly and there is no way I'm buying CompuStore.

anyone know a site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

try ebay (US site)

thanks guys for all the help but i think i might just go for a mini disk player as i dont want to spend more that 200 quid on the thing and those protable hard drives are all around the 300 mark!

• Advertisement
Advertisement