Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobile fun

• 14-10-2002 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Thiefed link from a post in Wireless, but i think more intrested people will see it here..

http://www.botfighters.com/vodafone/

Location-based gaming through your mobile - took off big in Scandinavia. Very sweet idea :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

yes very sweet, however its cost me about €3 to find out that i cant hit anyone.

How the hell are you supposed to hit anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Wow, looks neat. My bots name is LoBo if anyone's interested - am in city centre right now. Going to try the commands now.
    Colm

looks like a neat system. Fairly innovative use of location based stuff. Pricing is 24c per message sent which is too much (that's SMS for you) - for this sort of interactive system to catch on the price should be dead cheap for each interaction. Say 2c per text in (its run by vodafone, so it costs them near to nothing) - with that sort of pricing scheme you could play this game via sms for hours.

Still, apart from cost, its a cool game. Have a look at the website too to customize your bot etc.
    I blew up "dartman" (anyone want to claim that?) and am currently swapping pot shots w/ Dustaz's (I presume) Dustbot. He's getting farther away though.. maybe he's running away.

- and Monty, I think this thread is probably better off in the Games forum than after hours. I've linked to it from the wireless forum where it was brought up before.

what a complete waste of money. Ive spent about a tenner on simply scanning and trying ineffectivly to hit robots that are over spitting distance away. Only to be raped by maxed out robots from 50 miles away.

utter arse.

Oh, and you were bang on abdout my location lobo. Couldnt reply cos of work :)

• Advertisement

and I believe you must live near Sandyford? That's actually the creepiest thing, how if you leave yourself 'in' the game folks can track where you are :eek:

I think I spent about €10-15 trying it out yesterday. That's just ridicolous. The game IS neat, fun, and cool use of location based services, but it will NEVER work at premium sms prices. It won't even work at normal text prices, because its so interactive. This kind of cool service needs micropayments - if you could play this for 2c a message it would be priced right and the amount of use they got could easily generate revenue.

Come on iMode, your perfect for this kind of thing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

do i smell a new community board being born?;)

not at those prices. Its bollocks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Indeedy, it is too expensive. As lobo says, at 2/3c per message they could make a killing it would become so popular. Ho hum..

Advertisement