Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

understanding codec

• 14-10-2002 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

what do codec files look like?
    Are they .dll files?
    Can u just copy these files from one system to another?

I know u guys know... so spit it out :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Audio codecs end in .acm

I dunno if they can just be copied from one system to another though.. If you're looking for a special codec, it should come with an installer anyway, and in any case most codecs come with Windoze. Well later versions. (Except high-bitrate mp3 encoding codecs afaik).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

they are normally part of the OS installation, usually in Add/Remove Progs and then Windows Components.

Winamp comes with its own codecs which register as alternatives to the native windows ones. Winamp for example has an Ogg Vorbis decoder where Xp still lacks one which would be called in by the media player if it came across an Ogg encoded file.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

Thanks dun_do_bheal, got the audio files. I'll try copying them later.

But i also need to know the extension of the movie/video codec. Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

mpeg
    mp1
    mp2
    mpv
    mpeg-1
    mpeg-2
    avi
    divx

theres a few

Originally posted by fester
    Thanks dun_do_bheal, got the audio files. I'll try copying them later.

But i also need to know the extension of the movie/video codec. Anyone?

There it gets a bit more complicated. I'm not sure if there is also a special video codec extension, but I know there are video codecs ending in dll - which as you probably know is the extension for a million other dynamic link libraries of all kinds. So obviously it's not going to be as easy to pick them out. Have a look at the Video Codecs under the Properties tab of the Sounds and Multimedia panel in the Control Panel, and you'll see what's installed on your system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭fester

turns out that i wasn't able to find the video codec files.

Ahh well :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway!

If you still want to find them, perhaps try this site:

http://www.moviecodec.com/

I'm not familiar with this site - just remember, Google is your friend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

IMO, THE best codec pack is downloadable from here .

If it's VOB codecs your after, get Zoomplayer (use google) & in filter properties it'll name all codecs & search your system for them.

But do install the Nimo pack first - it'll play pretty much anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

From a recent experience, copying the audio codecs wont work.
    It took a re-install of XP to get mine back after I...well never mind how they got deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kaimera
    From a recent experience, copying the audio codecs wont work.
    It took a re-install of XP to get mine back after I...well never mind how they got deleted.

Yeah, generally they have to be registered (in the registry, not with the big bad software company) before they can be used. If they don't come up in the video codecs panel (on win2k: control panel, sounds and multimedia, hardware tab, select video or audio codecs, properties, then click properties tab) they're just not going to work. If you've manually deleted one you just might get away with just dropping it back into place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

If you've manually deleted one you just might get away with just dropping it back into place

I deleted them via the properties tab in my hardware menu.
    They were still on my machine just not installed any more.

Advertisement