Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

time to give the establishment a bloody nose?

Options
2»

Comments

Originally posted by Cork
    The YES crowd are spending about 5 times the amount that the No people are.
    Well they must be spending it very badly then as most of the literature supporing one side or the other thats been through my door has been on the no side.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

By voting no we won't punish the goverment......they've already got their majority, Mercs and pay rises - they don't care.

The only people we will be punishing will be ourselves as our influence in the EU is frittered away and of course the applicant countries as the enlargment process will be thrown into chaos.

Our most senior civil servant in the EU says he's not sure if enlargement can go ahead at all without Nice.

As for the unknown plan "b" Typedef keeps talking about - remember some say the plan "b" could involve another 10 REFERENDUMS (one for each applicant countries) in Ireland.

VOTE YES ON SATURDAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Bertie enlargement will happen if the Nice Treaty is rejected.

Heres are some quotes from Europe to support this :)

"A No vote in Ireland will not prevent enlargement… It will not be too bad. The closure of negotiations will apparently be delayed a little – in this case you can trust the member states. Plan B is always in the drawer". - Christine Kirschbaum, staff member of Enlargement Commissioners Günter Verheugen at a conference on EU enlargement in Hamburg

"Legally, ratification of the Nice Treaty is not necessary for enlargement. It's without any problem up to 20 members, and those beyond 20 members have only to put in the accession agreement some notes of change, some clause. But legally, it's not necessary from this specific point of view, enlargement is possible without Nice." - Roman Prodi soon after the first rejection of the Nice Treaty by Ireland.

"The solution will not be to ignore the vote, but to handle the situation. Probably it requires taking what is needed from the Nice Treaty necessary to carry through the enlargement," - Valery Giscard d'Estaing President of the Convention on the Future of Europe in Denmark July 2002.

I think we can lose that smokescreen now.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Is it time to give the establishment a bloody nose?

Is it time to get yourself tickled so you can't erm something? I'd vote Yes for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Pensonal attacks - thats great.

The establishment must be worried.

• Advertisement

Pensonal attacks - thats great.

The establishment must be worried.

1. I've nothing against your pension
    2. I'm the establishment now?

I'm pointing out that you and your ilk are not even slightly interested in the issue that you are supposed to be voting on, and are turning it into a different issue that you think you can whip up support for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by ButcherOfNog
    I'm pointing out that you and your ilk are not even slightly interested in the issue that you are supposed to be voting on, and are turning it into a different issue that you think you can whip up support for.

And you're being blatantly insulting. Please edit your post 3 back from here.

jc

fair enough, i was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

you and your ilk

For your information - I am on the Left to Centre wing of FF.

I think that this treaty is not needed for enlargement and that it will not create one extra job in this country.

When Germany, france and the UK get extra influence - they will be looking out for their meutual self interests.

Ireland - A Leader of small nations?

What a joke?

Advertisement