Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7650 email setup help

Options
  • 15-10-2002 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Has anyone set up and used email on their 7650 ?

I set up a mailbox using my oceanfree address ,

Set outgoing mail server to smtp.oceanfree.net
    Set in coming to mail.oceanfre.net
    Set mailbox type to pop3
    Input username and password
    and selected dolhome (gps) as the access point

Yet it wont work ? What am i doing wrong ? Am i way off mark

Also has anyone successfully used o2 prepaid gprs on the 7650 ? Ive had the settings sent to me twice and still get "temporary network problem" when i try to connect

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Darth Homer
    Has anyone set up and used email on their 7650 ? What am i doing wrong ? Am i way off mark

I think you said you were a pre-pay customer? O2 currently only offer pre-pay WAP GPRS access - you can't use the WAP GPRS connection to connect to your internet (POP) email account

to check your e-mail you would have to use a dial-up connection (Circuit Switched Data call) in order to access email until they launch pre-pay Internet GPRS - you can use a regular ISP or you can use the O2 dial-up service - calling 1740 will get you the settings - or I will type them out here if you want
    Originally posted by Darth Homer Also has anyone successfully used o2 prepaid gprs on the 7650 ? Ive had the settings sent to me twice and still get "temporary network problem" when i try to connect.

The pre-pay GPRS access has been "off-line" and isn't working with any mobile at the moment - you could ask them to let you know when it comes back online

HTH
    Brian G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Cheers Brian , A fountain of knowledge as usual !

no worries Darth - as long as it doesn't turn out you are my father :)
    Originally posted by Darth Homer
    anyone successfully used o2 prepaid gprs on the 7650

just tried it now and the service was back online - wapping away on the 7650 O2 pre-pay

Brian G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Sorry to bump an old thread up to the top but I got an o2 bill paying 7650 on monday and Im having a little problem with the email setup.

Ive tried setting up an oceanfree mailbox - access point is o2 gprs, mail address is leet@oceanfree.net, outgoing mail server is smtp.oceanfree.net, ive tried leet / leet@oceanfree.net as usernames, password is xxx, incoming mail server is mail.oceanfree.net, mailbox type is pop3.

I get a 'general system error' when i try to connect to it. Any ideas why?

Originally posted by richindub2
    oceanfree.net pop email

I get a 'general system error' when i try to connect to it. Any ideas why?

hi richindub2

just gave it a try and getting the same error on the 7650 - tried O2 and Voda GPRS

tried O2 and Voda GPRS with a PDA (via the 7650) and received e-mail no probelm

appears to be something to do with the e-mail client on the 7650 having difficulties with oceanfree.net pop server

on the main screen of the 7650 *#0000# gives you the phone's software (firmware) version - what's yours?

aside: couldn't send e-mail using smtp.oceanfree.net - they have a block for external ISPs - so need to configure outgoing mail server depending on the connection; on 02 using smtp.o2.ie and on Voda using mail.vodafone.ie

Brian G

• Advertisement

v 3.16
    15-08-02
    NHL-2NA

Just made and tried checking an o2 pop3 account now and it seems to work, thanks for the help anyway :)

Originally posted by richindub2
    v 3.16
    15-08-02
    NHL-2NA

Just made and tried checking an o2 pop3 account now and it seems to work, thanks for the help anyway :)

cool - oceanfree was the first one i've seen that error with - 02, Voda, and my regular pop mail accounts have been fine - wierd it had a problem - i'll try oceanfree when i (eventually) get an updated version of the phone software to see if it works then - and let you know if it makes a difference (or if anyone else want's to check in the mean time?)

you might find ActiveMail helpful for managing e-mail on the 7650.
    it allows you to manage what mails to retrieve, build schedules and rules for recieving mails - there is s trial available
    http://www.cibenix.com/AM7650_index.html

still looking for an application that hooks the e-mail client into Hotmail - if anyone is stuck for the moment you can use the WAP browser and go to http://mobile.msn.com and access it from there

Brian G

Ah well - having one more free email account wont do me any harm.

I tried using wap to check hotmail before i set up the o2 account but found it much slower than using the phones in built email system thingy...thanks again for the help anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

On my Vodafone 7650 (s/w 4.36), I've been able to send & recieve e-mail via my oceanfree account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I too am having some trouble with Email on the 7650

Im on Vodafone prepay. [EDIT - No im not, Im bill pay - stupid me]

I have setup the "Email GPRS" access point using the details posted here.

When attempting to connect to a mailbox (tried my Vodaphone and other accounts) it produces the error "Operation General Timeout" after a long period of inactivity. While its trying to connect the "G" smybol appears and then changes to a G within a box (which indicates the connection should be successful)

I am able to send and recieve MMS and use the Vodofone Live "Wap" style options on the phone.

Anyone come across something similar?

Matt

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    I too am having some trouble with Email on the 7650. Im on Vodafone prepay.

Anyone come across something similar?
    Matt

hi matt - you'd need access to Vodafone's internet access point isp.vodafone.ie to use full internet access to check pop / imap email (and surf the full internet not just WAP) - according to Voda Data Support this Access Point is currently unavailable for Ready To Go customers

Ready To Go customers can get access to wap or live/mms services over GPRS - but not full internet access as yet

Since this thread started O2 have opend up full interent access to their prepay customers using their pp.internet access point - you can call 1740 to get it provisioned for your Speakeasy account and get the configs

HTH,
    Brian G

Thanks for the info, but there was a stupid typo in my post, Im Bill Pay, not pre pay.

So, if i input said access point, I should be ok to go eh?4

Ill give it a shot and get back.

thanks,

Matt

Hey, it works and quicker than I imagined too!

Thanks for the info... are all these settings on a (Voda) web page for reference BTW?

Matt

hi matt - well it's scattered

they have GPRS wap settings for supported handsets:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/services/mobileservices/gprs/config/index.jsp?pageid=1038228525027

they do have software they licensed from a developer (Alice Systems) for Windows, Pocket PC PDA and Palm OS PDA devices - for HSCSD and GPRS connections
    http://www.vodafone.ie/dataservices/connectme/index.jsp?pageid=1038228700902

they have a dedicated Data Support team for HSCSD and GPRS Internet access on 1850 287 000

for MMS Live and WAP you call the regular (non-technical) support desk who e-mail or fax you out settings from their intranet or query technical support on you behalf

Biran G

Advertisement