Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apache and Windows XP Service Pack 1

• 15-10-2002 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

This is a bit long but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful! I've really two questions so I'll split it up but feel free to solve both problems for me! ;)

APACHE

I installed apache 1.3 http server on my Win XP laptop in August. Since then I've had several problems and I also noticed that since then apache.org have put up a notice saying you must download service pack 1 before installing apache. Once I boot up the machine and log on, there are several problems that occur. First of all once I move the cursor over the taskbar, a "busy" cursor appears for over a minute and I cannot click the start button during this time. It eventually returns to the regular "arrow" cursor once the "network disabled" icon appears in the bottom right notification area. At the same time, not all the usual icons (such as volume, msn im, quick keys, etc) load up in the notification area. I have tried removing everything such as msn im etc from the notification area but this makes no diffence to the start up.

Furthermore I have noticed two new user accounts have appeared on my computer since the problems started in August - "IUSR_myusername" and "IWAM_myusername". IURS_ is an "Internet Guest Account" with the description "Built-in account for anonymous access to Internet Information Services". IWAM_ is also an "Internet Guest Account" with the description "Built-in account for anonymous access to Internet Information Services out of process applications". I've tried deleting them, but everytime I reboot they reappear. I know they're something to do with Microsoft's IIS but does anyone know what they do and how they got on my computer? And how to get rid of them!?

I'm pretty sure the probelms are apache related. I uninstalled it but the problems persist.

Win XP Service Pack 1

Suppose someone had a cracked version of Windows XP Pro. And suppose someone installed Service Pack 1. Is there a danger that the service pack could screw up the OS on a cracked version of XP? I've heard rumours that it does and just want to know how true this is. On another note, if I installed service pack 1 is it likely to help fix the problem mentioned above relating to apache?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Oculusdei

those user accounts are used by IIS. Have you got IIS running on this box as well as Apache? I have Apache running on XP SP1 with no problems. Even upgraded to Apache 2.x and everything is fine.

Check to make sure IIS isnt running.

Re: pirate keys on XP

SP1 will check to see if you are using a pirate Key on XP and if it is one of a known list of pirate keys it will not install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

the busy icon issue sounds like a networking thing.

I run xp with sp1 installed and apache running too. sometimes i get that same problem but only when i try to network using a hub/xover cable etc. via my network card. its just looking for pcs on the network afaik and trying to establish connections. it does look like an apache problem but only because apache is trying to run but cant because of the net activity (i think).

once all the network sillyness has stopped you should be able to launch apahce again and have it working.

ps. running apache version 2

On the xpsp1 issue once you dont have one of the "blacklisted" cd-keys you should be fine. there are programs to check your key and see if it is "sp1 compatible". get one of those and check to be sure but it shouldnt have even installed if you have an invalid key so I wouldnt worry about it.

Advertisement