Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL, ODTR stand-off on digital service

• 15-10-2002 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

CABLE TV company NTL Ireland is not expected to give any justification as to why digital services have not been rolled out to all of its customers, despite a deadline by the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation (ODTR) demanding an explanation by today.

About 20,000 MMDS customers of NTL in Dublin, Mayo and Galway have not had their services digitised, and as a result the company is in breach of its licence terms.

Two weeks ago, Etain Doyle, the telecoms regulator, issued a stern warning to NTL, saying "the situation is now intolerable and and I am calling on NTL to specifically state publicly by October, 15, 2002, by what means and when these viewers will have a full digital service."

But observers say that the ODTR itself is in a bind over the stand-off. They added that while the regulator has a number of options open to it, if it decides to revoke NTL's licence the ODTR will be left with egg on its face.

Other options could be a fine for NTL, or the terms of its licence could be changed.

It is believed that the regulator has put the company under pressure to sell the MMDS business.

NTL received a sub-€5m offer for the business from Tallaght-based Off Air Electronics, a supplier of MMDS equipment.

However, it is further believed that NTL will not accept a price this low for the business,nor does it want a competitor operating in its backyard.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

CABLE TV company NTL Ireland is not expected to give any justification as to why digital services have not been rolled out to all of its customers, despite a deadline by the Office of the Director of Telecommunications Regulation (ODTR) demanding an explanation by today.
    Cable TV company NTL Ireland today stuck two fingers up at the ODTR, and they were right.
    Two weeks ago, Etain Doyle, the telecoms regulator, issued a stern warning to NTL, saying "the situation is now intolerable and and I am calling on NTL to specifically state publicly by October, 15, 2002, by what means and when these viewers will have a full digital service."
    Etain Doyle, the telecoms regulator, issued a nice strong soundbite which should be quoted in several news sources. Her failure to ever follow words up with actions will go unreported however, and will not be the subject of a press release.
    Other options could be a fine for NTL, or the terms of its licence could be changed.
    NTL will be given till 2009 to roll out digital services following discussions with the regulator.

You think I'm joking don't you? Let's wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

hmmm....you could be right there.....I think even if they wanted to roll out digital MMDS they are just out of Chapter 11....I cant see the new owners being mad keen to splash out a bunch of cash just yet :)

Bit hard to simply blame the ODTR though....they have bugger all power to enforce anything really until new EU legislation comes into play....still though it is good to see strong statements coming from Etain , pity it's very rarely directed in eirocm's direction on lack of BB LLU etc..

Just crystal ball gazing....

What did I say - the ODTR "settled the row" by extending the NTL deadline. I could do that myself.

From the Irish Times today

NTL settles digital TV row with regulator
    By Jamie Smyth

Cable firm NTL resolved an acrimonious dispute with the telecoms regulator yesterday by agreeing to offer digital television to all its customers by June 2003.

Telecoms regulator Ms Etain Doyle said she was disappointed that NTL's wireless subscribers to date had not been able to get digital services but the proposals meant that subscribers would now be able to avail of digital services by June 1st, 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭crazyasafox

A little bit off topic but have chorus a deadlin to offer digital Tv??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

OK, its NTL and the ODTR but its nothing to do with Ireland Offline or Internet Access

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

OK, its NTL and the ODTR but its nothing to do with Ireland Offline or Internet Access

I suppose its just more evidence of the ODTR's harmlessness

collectively they're not capable of finding their own arse with both hands in the middle of the pitch at Old Trafford at midday with the floodlights on

Originally posted by Dustaz
    It's got everything to do with IOFFL because it shows how the ODTR operates. It also shows that the ODTR will not push NTL to provide the type of services that we want them to offer.

Advertisement