Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking PC to Laptop

Options
  • 15-10-2002 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Never set up a network before, can anyone recommend what Network Cards to buy to connect a PC to an IBM Thinkpad 600E? And what kind of cable it would need?

Won't need a Hub for just the 2 computers right?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

You won't need a hub.. just a standard crossover cable.

Any network card will be grand for your PC...

Be careful what network card you get for the thickpad... iirc that paticular model will not take 32-bit pcmcia cards (had loads of trouble trying to get a card in work to install properly on one).. was a 32bit 10/100 xircom card.

I'll double check that model number tomorrow just to be sure... (was an oldish enough machine mind you)

Then its "just" a case of setting workgroups and sharing folders out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nice one, cheers, can you recommend a PCMCIA card (that you're pretty sure will work)? :]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

It was a 3Com card we replaced it with (Verb will have the exact model name.. it was his I swapped with the Xircom).. then again if yours is a new enough thickpad you probably won't come across this problem...

Basically it was the actual pcmcia controller chipset (made by texas instruments) just didn't like 32-bit network cards at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

In my experience the 3com PCMCIA cards are fairly reliable, especially with older laptops, in work I had an old IBM laptop and Dynalink PCMCIA cards (which worked on the newer thinkpads) just wouln't get on the network, all was solved with the 3Com Lan/Modem combined card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

ISTR the rbem-100 is the 32 bit network card, maybe the rem-100 is the 16bit one.

rem56g-10 is a 10Mbit 16Bit Lan/Modem card also a realport

realport cards are the bizniss IMO

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yup, 3com cards are luvly.. Have a pcmcia combo 56k modem & network card and its still alive after years of mistreatment

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I use a 3com FE575C-3COM 10/100 LAN Cardbus-Fast ethernet
    PCMCIA card to connect 600x to my desktop with a crossover cable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ok, looks like I'll be lookin for a 3Com PCMCIA card then. Anyone have a spare one lying around? ;]

And any old NIC in the PC will be Ok? Even the 20euro POS in Maplins? Won't be using it 24/7 really, just for when I need to transfer large files fast (and I've no way of transfering from the laptop atm).

Thanks folks.

Advertisement