Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music to make you cry

Options
  • 15-10-2002 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

This is Syd_Vicious speaking...

Does anybody know of any songs which could make a person cry or feel depressed/sad

One song I know of is For My Fallen Angel by My Dying Bride. Does anybody know any other songs

This has been Syd_Vicious speaking...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Any B*witched song.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

but its different for different people, and depending what mood your in!
    the songs that bring me closest to tears are theme from the virgin suicides and playground lover, by air, from the virgin suicides sountrack. (which, they were playing in boots today.....hmmmm!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭JessieG

blue eyes blue by eric clapton

that song always makes me cry but yeah it depends on what kind of memories you have associated with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Roy Orbison - Crying

and the Spanish version sung by that woman in Mulholland Drive , really interesting.

Radiohead - True Love Waits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Syd_Vicious
    One song I know of is For My Fallen Angel by My Dying Bride.

Fantastic song, that. Extremely beautiful.
    If you like that try these songs:

Sear Me MCMXCIII - My Dying Bride
    Patterns In The Ivy - Opeth
    Everwake - Anathema
    Inner Silence - Anathema
    Anywhere Out Of This World - Dead Can Dance (Or pretty much anything by them)
    Love Song - The Cure
    Roads - Portishead
    Passing Time - Museum
    Teargas - Katatonia
    Old Souls - Faith And The Muse

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

Thanx for the stuff

Another extremely sad song is Let That Be Enough by Switchfoot. This song brought a tear to my eye the first time I heard it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Pep

Fire and Rain by James Taylor its about his girlfriend dieing in a plane crash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

radiohead creep , but really it depends on the mood your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Especially the acoustic version on the My Iron Lung EP. Brilliant......

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Radiohead - Exit music

Again, depends on your mood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Bon Jovi - I'll Be There For You brings me the closest to tears because of something that happened years ago

Ugh... It sickens me each and every time a thread like this comes along, everyone just 'HAS' to blurt out Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Maybe they actually like radiohead you music nazi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    Ugh... It sickens me each and every time a thread like this comes along, everyone just 'HAS' to blurt out Radiohead.

Ugh.. it sickens me every time a thread like this comes along, everyone just 'HAS' to blurt out "Satan fanny sweat lickers und die hateful spine shitter gang"

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Well I don't know about crying (I'm well 'ard me) but songs that make me all sad and stuff would include:
    R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts (even though it's supposed to be uplifting :))
    RADIOHEAD - Fake Plastic Trees
    Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
    Nine Inch Nails - Something I Can Never Have
    The Cure - The Drowning Man

Originally posted by logic1
    Ugh.. it sickens me every time a thread like this comes along, everyone just 'HAS' to blurt out "Satan fanny sweat lickers und die hateful spine shitter gang"

.logic.

It sickens me every time some dumbass who thinks he's funny comes along and 'HAS' to blurt out something that has nothing to do with the fecking topic, and contributes nothing.

It sickens me every time some dumbass who thinks he's funny comes along and 'HAS' to blurt out something that has nothing to do with the fecking topic, and contributes nothing.

You weren't contributing anything with your rant about how people 'have' to mention Radiohead; it just so happens that they're a popular band who have a downbeat theme. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else, but music is all about taste and there's little use in whining that someone else's 'sickens' you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Um... Hrm. I don't think any particular songs make me sad just because of what they are in themselves, but there are some tracks which I have associations with that can certainly make me emotional. Guns'n'Roses' Sweet Child of Mine is one of them; Queensryche's Silent Lucidity is another.

I find most good music uplifting in some way, and a lot of stuff which people say makes them sad I find just makes me contemplative - REM's Automatic for the People being a good example . Radiohead for the most part I find just unappealing, although there's some good music buried there in Thom Yorke's crooning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

You truly are.. an asshole.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

You of all people should be open minded to peoples musical tastes.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I should have made myself more clear on this point.
    I definetly dont mean to rag on anyone's taste... So sorry if it sounded like that.
    Originally posted by Littletinyman
    You weren't contributing anything with your rant about how people 'have' to mention Radiohead; it just so happens that they're a popular band who have a downbeat theme. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else, but music is all about taste and there's little use in whining that someone else's 'sickens' you.

Now, this is my point. Radiohead are a popular band. A VERY popular one at that. I'd go as far as saying that 99% of people on boards have heard them, and have some songs of theirs, or an album. Now keep in mind that these threads are created by people who are looking for new music, music that they've not heard before. So it's commonsense that a person who's asking about for something new has already heard Radiohead.

I started a thread similar to this one on some other forum one time, looking for some good music that I wouldn't have heard before. And I was being pretty specific about it. All nice and simple, until the replies rolled in... People were barking out the most blatantly obvious, patronizing replies and it nearly made want to bang my head against the keyboard.

Now, a thread like this comes up every so often asking for sad/depressing/downbeat stuff... And EVERY single time people start dishing out the Radiohead reconmendations.

So maybe I should have said "Sickeningly Patronizing"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Anyhoo.

Here's some of the most beautiful songs you will ever hear!

Dead Can Dance - Don't Fade Away (Unbelievably well recorded live performance)
    The Cranberries - Everything I Said
    The Cranberries - I Will Always
    Alison Krauss & Union Station - It Doesn't Matter

Emphasis on The Cranberries songs, this band is in my opinion one of the most unique and influential bands I have ever heard. Most people think ehh no, but that's possibly due to the fact they have not heard the other not so famous songs on their first two albums.

Anyway enough ranting, if you can be bothered listening to them enjoy ;)

Yurma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Now keep in mind that these threads are created by people who are looking for new music, music that they've not heard before.

i wouldnt really agree with that. Sometimes that is the meaning behind these threads, but sometimes its nice to just know what kind of muic people on the baords are into,or to check out if they have a smiliar taste to yours, (so you can ask them to recommend cds for you if u think u can trust their judgment ;))

sometimes someone can mention a song on these threads that would seem obvious to some people, but that you might have forgotten existed, and its nice to have it brought back to you. It happened to me this morning.

getting back on topic, i heard this really nice r.e.m. song on a compilation tape someone made me years ago, it was called 'south central rain' or something like that.....it was gorgeous, and certainly near tear jerking....anyone know what album its on? I think i saw it on a live album in hmv the other day but im not really keen onlive albums...

It's fortunate that most people don't have the same attitude towards music that you do, AW. You seem to think being a 'fan' of music is about constantly trying to outwit people with your vast knowledge of obscure music, good or bad... most people don't feel patronised when people suggest music to them that they've already heard of, they just move on. It's not a f*cking competition.

That song is indeed called South Central Rain thedrowner, and it's from REM's second album 'Reckoning'.

I agree with thedrowner. Where did Syd_Vicious specify that he was looking for bands or music he had never heard of before?

Oh, and that REM song is "So. Central Rain". ;)
    Great song.

- Dave.

Anyhoo, getting back on topic .... I'd like to add:

Damien Rice / The Blowers Daughter

Gorgeous cello & violin, and definite goosebumps when Lisa's harmony kicks in near the end! :p

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

Whether it be songs or music I have never heard of or not, it doesn't matter to me. All I want to know is what songs can make you feel sad/depressed.

BTW I did not start this thread because I am some "depressed" teenager who wants to listen to depressing music to keep me in a sad state of mind. I am quite happy with my life even though I had to go through a lot of **** to get where I am now. I am just interested in what songs can make a person feel sad/depressed.

Radiohead are a sad band, period

Originally posted by thedrowner
    i wouldnt really agree with that. Sometimes that is the meaning behind these threads, but sometimes its nice to just know what kind of muic people on the baords are into,or to check out if they have a smiliar taste to yours, (so you can ask them to recommend cds for you if u think u can trust their judgment ;))

sometimes someone can mention a song on these threads that would seem obvious to some people, but that you might have forgotten existed, and its nice to have it brought back to you. It happened to me this morning.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. But I did say "I find it sickening" rather than it *IS*. So, it's only my opinion... Rather than how people took it as me ragging on people's tastes. Which I was a bit insulted at, to be honest.

But I'm only speaking from my viewpoint here, so dont take my arguements too seriously.
    It's fortunate that most people don't have the same attitude towards music that you do, AW. You seem to think being a 'fan' of music is about constantly trying to outwit people with your vast knowledge of obscure music, good or bad... most people don't feel patronised when people suggest music to them that they've already heard of, they just move on. It's not a f*cking competition.

And it's fortunate that most people don't have such a juvenile attitude as you do, Par. And I really love the way you presume to know what I think.

But you know what I really love the most? The way that if you've not heard of it, it must be me being obscure just for the sake of being obscure. But I can tell you this much, if I wanted to be obscure, you'd fecking know it!

Funny thing is that I've had this kinda conversation with a good load of people before, and it's always the same fecking thing. And you know, if people would actualy take their head out of their arse and check out some of the stuff I'm talking about, rather than brushing it off ignorantly, they'd probably find something they'd like.

I don't presume to know what you think, forgive me for jumping to the conclusion that your posts on these forums are formed from your own thoughts :)

Also, I don't just presume something's obscure because I haven't heard of it - I presume it's obscure because the band titles tend to all be along the lines of "Bucket of Satanic Horse Piss" or "Raging Devil Penis-Blade". I'm sure you're perfectly aware of the fact that I made those up, but a little digging around on the Dimmu Borgir site threw up song titles like "Tormentor of Christian Souls" and "Spellbound (by the devil)"... I've got nothing against any of this, but it's hardly the kind of music that's enjoyed by a wide range of people.
    Funny thing is that I've had this kinda conversation with a good load of people before, and it's always the same fecking thing.

I'm not surprised :)

• Advertisement

I don't presume to know what you think, forgive me for jumping to the conclusion that your posts on these forums are formed from your own thoughts :)

My my, you're so clever! :)
    Also, I don't just presume something's obscure because I haven't heard of it - I presume it's obscure because the band titles tend to all be along the lines of "Bucket of Satanic Horse Piss" or "Raging Devil Penis-Blade". I'm sure you're perfectly aware of the fact that I made those up, but a little digging around on the Dimmu Borgir site threw up song titles like "Tormentor of Christian Souls" and "Spellbound (by the devil)"... I've got nothing against any of this, but it's hardly the kind of music that's enjoyed by a wide range of people.

Well, you're not paying much attention then, are you? :p Raging Devil Penis-Blade is hardly anything like Anathema or Opeth, or anything I've actualy suggested. You know, peeking through my collection, those names aren't very akin to any of the bands I'd listen to. But I wont argue with on this much... Some of it is, admitedly, rather silly. You got to take it with a pinch of salt.

But as for Dimmu Borgir, you should know that they're the most widely known, and biggest selling Black Metal band. They headlined last years Wacken Open Air Festival in Germany, to some 200,000 people. A festival that has bands like Judas Priest, Bruce Dickinson and Saxon on the bill... I'd say that's pretty widely enjoed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement