Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leased line pricing...

Options
  • 16-10-2002 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me an idea what the better deals for leased lines in Ireland are?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've checked a few and WorldCom (despite their troubles) seem to be the best. I havent gotten a quote for Esat's wireless leased line service yet but I'm assuming worldcom will stay top of the heap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Lease Lines cost a lot of money I would certainly go with a company that is going to be around in the future .
    So Esat ,Eircom all there prices are competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Worldcom will be around in the future

I agree with Rymus.....especilly if mayhem is not in Dublin in which case I would additionally recommend Colt and NTL

Worlcom are well worth investigating , very stable network and not growing to fast like ESAT outside Dublin at present.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

do all these "other" companies metioned have to deal with eircom? besides esat who have wireless local loop (anybody used this yet?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Muck
    Worldcom will be around in the future

I agree with Rymus.....especilly if mayhem is not in Dublin in which case I would additionally recommend Colt and NTL

Hey, I'm in the arsehole of west Clare....

M.

• Advertisement

2 way VSAT if things get desperate.

No good for gaming or running servers on your site but perfectly all right for chucking loads of data around in slightly lagged real time.

M

Excuse me!
    I've been on 2-way sat since the beginning of this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by yankinlk
    do all these "other" companies metioned have to deal with eircom? besides esat who have wireless local loop (anybody used this yet?)

afaik your leased line provider have to rent/buy the local tail circut from eircom. Thats the line from your home/office to the exchange. This pushes the price up quite nicely... or so Worldcom would have me believe.

I know a guy that has a 512k WLL leased line from Esat at the moment... very nice performance on it (as you would expect really).. Must find out what he pays for it

emm Wheres Dah Rymus , I knew they had a licence but had not heard of any deployment.

Some of west Clare (Ballyvaughan) is within WLL distance of Galway City as it happens. Strictly speaking WLL is a wireless Analog/IDSN speed connection. A 512K symmetrical is an FWA link (Fixed Wireless Access) which is what Mayhem wants I assume.

M

Some of west Clare (Ballyvaughan) is within WLL distance of Galway City as it happens. Strictly speaking WLL is a wireless Analog/IDSN speed connection. A 512K symmetrical is an FWA link (Fixed Wireless Access) which is what Mayhem wants I assume.
    M

Now that's information that I can work with!
    Tell me more!!

M.

• Advertisement

via the ESB mast which could have aerials pointing towards Inis Oírr and Fanore and may be supporting Digifone or Meteor or both in Ballyvaughan already. The ESB are not offering retail product yet.

There is the Eircon mast in Inverin which could be used to support FWA to all the Islands along with Doolin and Fanore but not Ballyvaughan. Eircon have an FWA licence along with Esat and Chorus(smirk) but Eircon are reluctant to offer FWA

You could wait for Leap !

Many of the locations above are in the Burren National Park where 'unsightly cabling' is frowned upon and Eircon know this. Ring Dúchas about it

M

Muck,

Is there anyone in any of the Telco's that you know f who I could talk to about this?
    Where are you located?

M.

Rymus may know someone who knows someone,

I don't know anyone in a telco (telco with a licence) who could be of help here. Only chorus esat and ecircon have the licences

I don't even know where you are as it happens, west clare is long.

M

I'm up on the east flank of Mount Callan near Miltown Malbay....

the burren and cliffs of moher and aran islands will block any attempt to relay across the bay

u know there is an 8Mbit Private Pipe to that desalination wind farm in Inis Meáin , don't u

M

Could set up a relay on top of Mt. Callan.
    Straight LOS to Galway!
    Didn't know about the 8Mbit pipe into Inis Meáin.
    Wtf do they need that for?!

M.

something to do with
    desalination

LOS to Galway City you mean? It would be 50Km as the crow flies, which is a tad excessive. FWA will carry 15-20Km which will hop across Galway bay.

M

Could set up relays though...
    If the bandwidth is a-plenty I would share it anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

FWA will carry 15-20Km

Source?

That figure may well be based on 'flat' ground, where the natural curvature of the earth determines the horizon, and therefore maximum LOS. If one station is on a mountain, it's a whole different ballgame.

Advertisement