Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulysses

Options
  • 16-10-2002 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭

They're in the process of filming an adaptation of Joyce's Ulysses in Dublin at the moment. Has anyone here read any of it? I can't say I know anyone who has actually finished, although I know many who have tried.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I can't say I've ever read it and I doubt I ever will but I know two people who have read it from cover to cover. I prefer to read about it, I'm interested in what Joyce was trying to achieve. Good luck to whoever is trying to adapt it for film but no matter how good the film will be, theyre going to fail. Ulysses is simply impossible to film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

There was a film of Ulysses made in 1964 by a Joseph Strick, here's the IMdB entry.

I saw it a year or so ago in the IFC in Dublin. It's not bad at all - very disjointed and it falls apart in the second half but given the material what choice did they have? Some of the early scenes are very funny and the acting (including Milo O'Shea, Joe Lynch and Maureen Potter) is fairly good. Dunno if it's available on any format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Phwoarr those eyebrows!

Wasn't the film of Ulysses also banned in Ireland until recently?

Still: totally unfilmable. John Huston's 'The Dead' is amazing, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i borrowed it off someone years ago and never read it. i htink i read the first page. I never read all of a portrait of the artist (saw the film) even though i answered questions on it in me leaving and did ok in it!!!! But stephen pissed me off in that book and i didnt think i could stomach reading it.

Advertisement