Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nirvana - YKYR on MTV2

• 16-10-2002 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

Just after seeing Nirvana's You Know You're Right on MTV2 marked as exclusive. The video was a 'montage' of clips, 99.999% of Kurt. Dunno whether or not this is an 'official' video or just put together by MTV2.

According to the MTV website, MTV (America) was supposed to be showing this from last Friday though..

http://www.mtv.com/music/video/premiere/nirvana/

Still, it's pretty cool, and from what I see it actually seems like it does show a clip of him singing YKYR at the start and end, but can't be certain til I see it again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

One hour later and it's on again. I guess they might be going to show it at the start of every hour. On second viewing, they just cleverly aligned clips of him singing so it did look like it was "You Know You're Right" that he was singing, now and again.

It's the exact same version as the mp3 floating around, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    they just cleverly aligned clips of him singing so it did look like it was "You Know You're Right" that he was singing, now and again.

The song is totally weak.
    And you think the video is 'clever'? All they've done is spliced some shots of Kurt Cobain holding a note over and over! hahah!

Why can't they just leave the memory of Kurt and Nirvana alone.

Originally posted by eth0_
    The song is totally weak.
    And you think the video is 'clever'? All they've done is spliced some shots of Kurt Cobain holding a note over and over! hahah!

Why can't they just leave the memory of Kurt and Nirvana alone.
    That's your opinion of the song. Right, okay. Mine is obviously different.

But I didn't say the video was clever. And I know it was spliced over - I already say so.

As regards leaving Kurt and Nirvana alone, let's all bring our Nirvana cds, videos, whatever and burn them all. That's the only way that they can be left alone. FFS, think of Elvis Presley, John Lennon/The Beatles and then imply that a fuss is made of Nirvana :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

the song rocks, the video rocks...and yes it is an offical one, not something mtv whacked together.

its a mixture of still frames and live shows, mostly stuff already seen on LTSO and the year punk broke, but with a few unseen things thrown in for good measure.

i think its a great homage to kurt, to seen a song thats over 8 years old, currently sitting at #2 on the Billboard Modern Rock Chart in the States and bein named as record of the week on loads of radio stations all around the globe

and yes, i do think the video is clever...the start with the close ups of kurt while the first verse plays is ****in excellent imo

its about ****in time as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

agreed with pyure. i really love the song and think the video is great. now to get someone to d/l the video for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

i think its a great homage to kurt, to seen a song thats over 8 years old, currently sitting at #2 on the Billboard Modern Rock Chart in the States and bein named as record of the week on loads of radio stations all around the globe

...shows how little things have advanced?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

un-related really but did you know that "negative creep" from "The year punk broke" was recorded at sir Henry's in Cork.......welll if you didnt now you do..........and if you did.raspect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The Frank and Walters :D

i knew that already, and now for my bonus point hehe :)

nirvana played with sonic youth and dinosaur jr.

it was 20/8/91 i think...hang on lemme dig out my 'put the money down' cd for a tracklist :

drain you
    smells like teen spirit
    floyd the barber
    sliver
    breed
    about a girl
    school
    lounge act
    negative creep
    been a son
    blew
    endless nameless (set destruction if i recall correctly)

this show kicked off nirvanas european tour with sonic youth, and just a few days before their memorable appearance at reading 91

hmmm, think my nirvana fixation is unhealthy....
    oh well, whatever, nevermind

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I think the video running on mtv is actually something mtv came up with themselves.It is quite s@ite i agree.Rumour has it that a video will be released for the song in the new year.cant remember where i saw that but there ya go.

just out of interest.i got a copy of nirvana at the point in 92 on video but it has half of "teen spirit" and all of "territorial pissings' missing at the end.Does anyone have any idea as to where i could get a full version?

If MTV came up with themselves, they're lending it to Kerrang. Was bored there so was watching it in slow motion through PowerDVD (cause it's got a nice slowmo button), and interestingly two things stuck out.

Firstly there's a shot of Kurt in an interview that you can you see maybe once or twice in the video normally. Dunno what the signifcance of it was, but he did not look like a happy bunny. Anyway there are stills of it constantly throughout the video flashed up. Perhaps bout 20 times, although I wasn't counting. Anyone have any idea what it is? I've posted a still (compressed for your pleasure)

No. 2 is that there's a dirty big streaker that runs across the
    stage near the end with his bits flapping - it's only funny cause it's shown at all times of day - so much for watershed :rolleyes: It's only really noticeable if you slow it down! Watch carefully though and you'll see him as Kurt starts singing the last "you know you're right" He runs from right to left. Wonder if the makers of the video watched Fight Club :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Single Frame Insert, not even a humming bird could catch those video makers.

Couldn't catch the interview clips anyway - they were all single frame. But the streaker can be seen - he's there for a few frames. You just wouldn't know it immediately.

dammit, i should know what interview that pic is from

94 anyways, and somewhere in europe...looks like something recorded in his dressing room before a show

kurt never looked happy in interviews anyways, unless he was stoned (with was alot of the time)

tbh i dont know, and its gonna piss me off until i find out where its from....damn you dun_do_bheal :p

and ill say it again : ITS AN OFFICAL VIDEO PEOPLE !!! mtv didnt come up with up

Originally posted by pyure
    94 anyways, and somewhere in europe...looks like something recorded in his dressing room before a show

tbh i dont know, and its gonna piss me off until i find out where its from....damn you dun_do_bheal :p

Glad to be of service :D

I guessed that it musta been late in their career. I forgot that the other thing that stands out when watching it in slowmo is that there are numerous stills of a long-haired Kurt (pre-Nevermind), looking so much more happy and less jaded than in later times. Provides a stark contrast to the interview.

Advertisement