Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propellerheads: Reason

• 16-10-2002 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone use Reason? Am going to get my hands on it soon. Reason 2.

I'll be using it on OSX as I can't be arsed switching startup disks anymore. Has anyone used it on OSX? How does it run, just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Woohooo!

Reason ROCKS!!! Am running it on Jaguar and it is sampletastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

How much was it? And is it running really well in Jaguar?

I just started a sound engineering course, and saw Reason for the first time about 2 weeks ago - it looked excellent.

It's feckin great in OSX, but I'm not sure how it is in OS9.

Erm, not sure how much it was... I ... cant remember...

You doing the SAE course? (just wondering since you are "Scottish")

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

Doing the Sound Engineering and Music Tech course at Pulse Studios. Don't be fooled by the Scottish "accent" - been here for about 6 years (or is it 7, lost count).

Need to get out of my crap 9-5. Don't know if I will manage it, but ned to give it a bash. I think I saw that reason was about €450 - which is a bit pricey, but have seen worse. I'm running a new G4 imac, 800 mhz, 256 mb ram. Should probably upgrade to 512 though.

Reason really easy to use is it?

I'm the same as you - losing count of the years here no-one realises I'm Scottish (except when I post piccies of me in a kilt).

It'll run great on an 800mhz, I have a 500mhz iMac umm 512 Ram I think or 384megs Ram at least. The program will be able to run as many samplers, drum machines, synthesisers, mixers that you need as long as your computer can handle it. Yours will be fine.

Some small niggles I have which you may find important.
    - You can't have a tempo map i.e. you cannot change the time signature or tempo within the song (You can however slave it to protools for example - although I dont have it for osx. Or you can indeed slave to an external tempo source via midi/usb etc)
    - You cannot record sound into a sampler - you need to have the files you want sampled in .wav or .aiff already. (I have found from a friend "SPark ME" from TCWOrks to be a perfect sound recorder for OSX.
    - Well, thats all I see bad with it, it rocks.. etc

As for learning it, it's pretty easy especially if you are on a course. It is a mad thing to get used to as it is not very similar to Cubase/Protools, it is a different type of ethos but give it a day of sitting with it and mulling over with the installed manual you will click pretty fast. (theres some great sounding demo's that they give with it)

Hope it works out, let me know if theres anything else you need to know Jimmy. (oh yeah, get some more memory if you are running OSX deffo)

• Advertisement
Advertisement