Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multiple Folder copying

• 16-10-2002 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭

Right , Im really looking for any kind of help with this one. Its
    really p***ing me off at this stage , Ive been at it for over a week
    and a half now and its VERY FUSTRATING.

Ill try and explain the situation and give you some backround.

I work in a office and we are setting up a new directory structure
    for the ISO.
    Now there are 7 main folders , to which there stems off other
    folders and so on.....
    The main folder projects has around 820 folders off it , all diff. project names. But in each of them folders there is another 10
    folders all with the same names for each folder. and in them folders there are maybe another 3/4 folders and so on.

eg . 1888 - dishwasher contains these folders
    sink , powder ,etc

1889 - flower contains the same main folders
    sink , powder , etc

All simple basic stuff. ( im hopeing your still with me at this point )So I go off and build this whole new Directory. Fine great , done.

But now here are the problems, they want some changes made in the folders, namely the projects one. So in projects \ blah\ drawings\new folder I create the new folder.

But ive to do this 820 times , because by the nature of the new structure all the project folders must be identical in structure.
    So I do it anyway .
    Then they make another change , AGAIN i go into every folder
    and copy the folder .
    Then they make another..... etc

THis is where im looking for the help.
    Does anyone have a program that can do this MULE work for me ?
    its simply enough , really , I could select all the projects and do a mass Paste to all type thing.

Now with each change i make I also have to change the permissions for that folder. Surely there is a way I can set the permissions / rights on the first folder , and then copy that folder
    with its rights to another folder. Where just the rights i gave that first folder will copy nothing else ?

I would appreciate any input on this please.
    I have already spent two- three days searching Google for a program to do this , to no avail.
    Ive searched Technet throughly ...
    Ive even got a friend to make me a Visual basic progam that would do it , but unfortunatly it didnt work.
    Ive also tried copying though Dos but all im getting is errors. due to the spaces in the folder names......
    So im really grabing at straws here :/

Any ideas anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

deltree c:\
    install mandrake.linux

Heh. If you're making any progress in DOS, the spaces in the filenames are easy to overcome......

When a filename has more than 8 characters, the DOS format filename becomes the first 6 characters plus an index.

For example, 'Program Files' becomes 'progra~1'. If, in the same directory, there is another directory called, say 'Program Documents', this is named 'progra~2', and so on. I'm sure you know all this, but if somehow the new name for this folder is less than 9 characters, this could be useful.
    When there's spaces, just remove the spaces, for example, 'My Big Directory' become 'mybigd~1' :D

Other than that, I'd tell your boss, or whoever, that the name of a directory is immaterial, so long as it's roughly indicative of what's in the directory. So if they're asking you to make minor changes, such as (in your example) from 'powder' to 'washing powder', then tell him/her that it's a complete waste of resources to have you change all these names, unless the core content of the directory is changing..........

Actually, after re-reading your post, the best thing to do is to make a demo directory, say 10 main project folders, instead of the 820. Then allow them to make changes, and only create the whole thing when they've finalised on an idea. As I said, they're seriously wasting resources.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jeez I'd kick their asses and make them do it themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks Seamus ,
    I had a demo directory all set up and nice for them , before I built the main structure and in their words , it was "Perfect and Complete".

But in their words that seems to meen , it will do for now but we
    will just fook you around a bit , when we see fit :/.

Argh.
    "MY KINGDOM FOR A NEW JOB !!!!"

Advertisement