Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CR3 for Ireland?

Options
  • 16-10-2002 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

From reading other forums, I'm really excited over CR3. I've emailed NTL asking them if they plan to roll it over over here. I'm still on V5.26. Does anyone know if we in Ireland are going to get the new OS for our decoders?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Of course we won't, NTL give its Irish customers anything nearly as good as it's UK customers? Never gonna happpen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I expect this thread will be resurrected after christmas without coming to a conclusion :)

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

*silly question alert*

Whats CR3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Hey just got this response......well impressed with the speed. By the looks of it we're all getting new decoder boxes! Yahoo!
    Dear Mr Mooney

Thank you for your email. From Monday 20th October, ntl Ireland will be deploying a new STB (Di300) to all new digital customers. The Di300 will come complete with a telco return path making it compatible with interactive services, of which we hope to introduce in the near future.

I hope that that this answers your query and should you have any further questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for your time and patience in this matter.

Kind Regards
    NTL Customer Support

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

CR3 is for the ex-Cable and Wireless (Bromley) people - in NTL Digital terms, we are "original NTL" (ex-CableTel, or Langley) customers. So we won't be getting CR3, no.

Digitalspy.co.uk explains the difference between the Bromley (CWC)and Langley (CableTel) systems, suffice to say we are one of the latter.

I'm worried about this new box - Pace are describing it as a "secondary" (read: cut-down) STB. It has only half the memory (it'll be slower) and a lot less features than the Di4000 series currently deployed. On the other hand, you don't need a cable modem, ethernet, or USB if you are going to be using PSTN as your back channel. You also lose one of the SCART sockets.

If PSTN is introduced as the back channel, where does this leave all of us who already have cable modems in our boxes. No interactive?

• Advertisement

Well surely we should at least be upgrading to the new EPG which is being deployed alongside CR3. This new EPG release is meant to standardise all EPGs across all NTL areas.

Originally posted by mbroaders
    *silly question alert*

Whats CR3?

Consumer Release 3, the latest version of the EPG software for NTL Cable and Wireless Communications customers. Suceeding the current version CR2, it brings the look of the ex-CWC EPG into line with the NTL (CableTel) EPG, as well as introducing an iPG - the interactive features can be tied in with the programme guide. Also the Liberate 1.2 middleware platform for interactive services is introduced, allowing Sky-style "red button" applications to be developed.

Originally posted by icdg
    [a lot less features than the Di4000 series currently deployed. [/B]
    Just been looking at the Pace website for the Di4000 http://www.pace.co.uk/paceproducts/product.asp?section=CA&product=19, my STB isn't that one. I've had two so far. There isn't a pic of the Di300, but I certainly don't have that Di4000! Will check out the model when I get home this evening from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

So first NTL rolls out a special box with very little enhanced capability and no upgrade path.

After a while most of their digital customers have this and not a cable internet capable STB

NTL then start to whinge to the ODTR about the capabilities of their Irish network and how they have to replace the cable and the STB instead of the cable only and the COST the COST

It seems the digital apartheid between the UK and Ireland is becoming more pronounced by the day.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

ntl Ireland will be deploying a new STB (Di300) to all new digital customers.

What about us early adopters, are we stuck with the old box whilst the new subscribers come prancing along waving their new boxes at us?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Just been looking at the Pace website for the Di4000 http://www.pace.co.uk/paceproducts/product.asp?section=CA&product=19, my STB isn't that one. I've had two so far. There isn't a pic of the Di300, but I certainly don't have that Di4000! Will check out the model when I get home this evening from work.

There is the Di4001 and Di4010 deployed in original NTL areas at the moment - I have the newer box the Di4010. Both are pretty similar at the front however, the main changes are round the back (less connectors, analogue pass through removed) and inside the box.

Confirmed - I've the Di4010 with the rather nice ethernet and USN connectors on the back. So I wonder if they are going to take these back? The email only stated *new* customers where getting the Di300.

Advertisement