Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balance in all things

Options
  • 16-10-2002 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭

How's a goin all?,
    I've decided to seek opinions on an issue I have been wrestling with of late ..well the last six months or so.

Basically its about everything in general ..as the title might suggest. Im kinda bearing my soul here so dont be too harsh on me eh?!

I suppose there comes time in your life when you realise that you don't have time to cram absolutley everything you want to in the short space that is the 24 hr day. Maybe its that at 25 you start to think about your career a bit more or the fact that you don't have as much energy as ya used to or you stop doing things for the sake of doing things?
    Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else suffers from complete burn out sometimes trying to fit everything in..ya know work, relationships, mates , family, bands, time to yourself all of that stuff??

I mean it is hard to find a balance, take my job for example if I didn't work hard I'd never progress and that would frustrate me and make me pissed but yet if I didn't rehearse and do my best with my band I'd feel like I was making too big a sacrifice for the man......damn the man....!!
    So your working hard , rehearsin' giggin, trying to do other stuff you enjoy and your family, other half and mates don't see ya etc or else the other way around etc etc etc etc ....anyone else find it difficult??? I mean I know this sounds like a moan but in general all is well but its pretty hectic anyone else find themselves dizzy with everything at times?

Tippin the balance...
    Trev M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭JAFO

Aaahhh Trev!... calm down bro, yer only 25 man.. no burn outs are due yer way for quite sometime, although I do realize where the pressure is coming from. Todays society seems to dictate that one must be successful at EVERY venture, and be very young and successful too!... this is BULL!!... blame this on:
    1: Advertising (ye know, the sappy credit card ads)
    2: POP music (will hopefully eat itself!!??)
    3: Hollywood
    4: yerself for believing all of above!!
    Just kidding about the last one!... Don't worry Trev, just perhaps try to focus on being successful at the things you really love doing and.. HEY PRESTO... you will!!!
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

kinda had the same thing myself, even without the other half and all that hassle that brought.
    What I did was (and this sounds so talk show host) write out on a bit o' paper five headings

1) Mates/Family
    2) Hobbies
    3) Career
    4) Health

It's a bit like brainstorming, which you might have done in school for english essays.

Around each you write down what you want from it, then try and see what you could do better/do without.

Once you have that, try and organise the time part - what to do and when to do it.

It should help, worked for me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Britnik

Trev......take a deep breath in....and out!!!!!

You're damn right - there never seems to be enough hours in the day to complete all desired activities and so, there is only one solution such a problem......

As time is precious, the best option is to decide which activities are of most importance to you - then complete these first - after all, it is your happiness and satisfaction that is your priority in life.... when these are done, it is up to you how you allocate the rest of your time to those less desirable activities....

as a fellow friend once said.....all you need in life is drink, good music and sunshine!!!

don't be stressing though - you're too young for all that

keep smiling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭rapture_queen

Stay up all night and make your days into 24h days of useful things to do!!!!!!!!!!!
    then u will have time-just no sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr Crowe

....."life is what happens to you while you're busy makin' other plans" but then again he had the money and fame to do what ever the **** he wanted but there is a deal of wisdom in what he said.

**** man i do know what you're talkin about though, i mean i got college, work, family, friends,girl, getting pot, smoking pot and thinkin of ways to get pot to do everyday, and thats not included the band which is all that by 4.......but look at it this way man, they are all happy problems, i get to be in college, im in a band i love, with a girl i love, got the best mates, and i always have pot;) .........but yeah everynow and again everything catches up on you and you need some time to clear your head and step back from everything so next time that happens, roll yourself a fat one, stick on sweet screams and be reassured in the fact that you my friend rock;)

peace&love
    mr crow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

How much of all of these things do you do on a daily basis, maybe you should cut down on some of the things.

You can't make it to everyone's gig, that is a simple fact, I have also been accused of being two faced for not having time to make it to someone's gig as promised, or for letting someone down with a gig, its just a matter of perepective.
    I see my folks maybe once every three or four weeks, which isn't alot I know, but its enough for me, I see my girlfriend about twice a week on average, then I practice with new band once a week, I do a good bit of work for GigSmart during my working hours ( shush, thats a secret ).
    Sometimes a feel run down, but you can't fit all of these things into one day, you need to make a routine that will serve you in what you do on a weekly basis not a daily basis, you have to work atleast monday to friday, so make your social list for Evenings and weekends.
    ie, If Monday is band day then make sure that its known by all your mates know that you are not contactable on Mondays, etc.

This way you have time for your band, your family your mates, your lovely lady friend and me. (hahahahahah)
    Its unrealistic that you can see your mates, parents, girlfriend and band mates everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

yeah i see where your coming from. ive got a show coming up soon and im constantly in rehearsals, and aparnt form that theres college, college work and work itself. i dont seem to have time to go out anymore, and if i was still with my boyf, i dont know when id get to see im, so its probably just as well im not. But im lucky in that it will be all over soon...and then i can reschedule my life, and try and plan things a little bit better. but even if u do reschedule it you probably wont stick to it

id rather be on my feet rushing round all day than have loads of free time. ive tried both and at least you can take yer mind of things when youre rushing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Thanks to the lot of ye...Im trying to plan the time a bit better but I hate being so regualted and I hate routine but its a matter of adapting I guess ....making order out of chaos...anyway thanks to all, particularly those who sent text messages a nice gesture and one that I hope I can repay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 trunks

you reach that age 24-25 you mussels give up they wave a little white flag and suddenly with out any warning your a fat bst

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

man trev, its like you put my life up there in that post, we're not alone brother. I actually should be getting more sleep, but i dont have time to sleep.......does anyone know what a lie in is like? i've forgotton....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

well, the way i see it is its either plan you life a bit better, even though it may be routine-y and stick with it, and hopefully enjoy a better quality of life, or go on the way you're going.

i also used to feel constantly tired but since ive started excercising regularly i find im much more alert and sleep better, and live better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

i don't know what a lie in is like cos i physically can't do it once i wake up i have to get up and out of bed no chance at all of going back to sleep.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

Cheer up Trev! Another 40 years and we all get to retire!

YAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

Take an Actimel everyday day, Uncle Terry does and now he's back to his usual ( groping 5 - 6 rawk groupie's at any given time ) self again.

Niall S. ( aka Terry ).

;)

Advertisement