Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Voters on Nice

Options
  • 16-10-2002 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

If the government acheive a yes vote. How will you react?

What will you do? 4 votes

Like the government and ask for a re-run
    0% 0 votes
    be happy with what the electorate have voted
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

unlike Bertie, we can accept the result of a Referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Qud pro quo Agent Starling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Typedef
    Qud pro quo Agent Starling.

Huh? Rather than defend the democracy which you hold sacrosanct, you'd lower yourself to abusing it for some lesser reason?

Kinda would make all your sermonising about the farcical nature of this referendum obsolete, doesnt it.

I would have thought that the first thing anyone who had a problem with this referendum being held at all would do would be to seek legal change to ensure that this never happened again rather than simply decising that it wasnt all that important an ideal in the first place.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I would have thought that the first thing anyone who had a problem with this referendum being held at all would do would be to seek legal change to ensure that this never happened again rather than simply decising that it wasnt all that important an ideal in the first place.

I agree then we would have see the government and main oppsition PANIC. (Which would be nice!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vlk

Excuse me from breaking into an Irish discussion board, but maybe you could explain why it was possible at all to hold the same referendum twice? - Assumed Ireland would have voted again NO - how many time could the government have rerun the referendum until they finally would have gotten a 'Yeah'?

Indeed many thanks for any potential answers!- Ján :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

vlk Apparently it is at the discression of the government to hold the Referendum as many times as it likes, ie, until it extracts the result it wants.

Plus you don't have to be Irish to post here.

Cuidado con el gato baby

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by vlk
    Excuse me from breaking into an Irish discussion board, but maybe you could explain why it was possible at all to hold the same referendum twice? - Assumed Ireland would have voted again NO - how many time could the government have rerun the referendum until they finally would have gotten a 'Yeah'?

Many thanks for any potential answers!- Ján :eek: :eek:

I think it was because the last Nice referendum had an extremely low turn out of around 30%
    My problem with the re-run is the fact they stuffed so much stuff into ONE vote, it's completely wrong, I for one was going to vote no, not because i'm against enlargement, but because I am against the rest of the content of the treaty. Because of my exasperation at being put in this situation, I didn't vote at all. I wonder how many others feel the same way I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

but maybe you could explain why it was possible at all to hold the same referendum twice? - Assumed Ireland would have voted again NO - how many time could the government have rerun the referendum until they finally would have gotten a 'Yeah'?

IN theory, the govt vould keep re-holding the same referendum ad nauseum. Each time, they would be bound to abide by the decision of the most recent.

Of course, how a govt. would stay in power while doing that is another question.

AS to how they did it...there isnt a rule anywhere that they broke. There is no legal barrier to re-holding the same referendum, nor any minimum timegap between reruns.

Realistically, had there been such laws, I'm still sure an alternate set of changes to the constitution could have been found (even if only differing in wording) to satisfy the letter of the law.

I accept complaints by people such as Typedef who have pointed out that this isnt in the "spirit" or interests of good democracy, but very little of real-world politics is based on good democracy when you look at it closely enough.

Ultimately, whether you, I, or anyone else finds it distasteful, the bottom line is that there was no laws broken.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 vlk

Many thanks to you all for the very fast answers!!! - As you may guess from may name I am from one of the new candidate countries ... I mean I understood that the vote for or against Nice was not at all a vote for or against expansion ... at least not directly ... Being from a smaller country I have just kept on wondering what they think democracy is all about: If people don't agree to any outcome just make them somehow consent to what the big guys of Europe want you to do ... I mean I am not afraid of the future and I am pro-Europe ... but I don't want to have a United States of Europe where smaller nations or ethnic groups have got nothing to say ...

But I am realizing that I still have got to learn a lot until I will be able to write a profound contribution to this forum - Again, many thanks!!! J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement