Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freecom CD-RW

• 16-10-2002 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I have a Freecom CD-RW drive but recently i have noticed that the odd time it wouldn't read the cd i would eject the cd or restart the system and it would work but today it just stoped working all together when i put a CD it it just spins and spins and when i click on the e drive to explore it i just get "e:\ is not ready"

Could it be that the lens is drity?

Any one know what might be wrong

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Any one got any ideas?

I got a cd lens cleaner and tried it but it didn't work (However i couldn't do it as per instructions 'cause they say play the cd but i couldn't do that 'cause it won't play) .

I stuck in me old CD drive and that worked so i am guessing that the CD/RW's hardware that is in rag order. Or could it still be a software problom?

All that happens is when i put a cd in it just spins and spins.

Please, any help willl me great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Check the power cable is in properly and the ide cable, might have come loose after a knock.

It's most likely nothing to do with software drivers or such.. but a check for an updated firmware wouldn't do any harm.

Always an idea to try it in a different computer as well.

But apart from the above and cleaning the lens, theres not much more you can do I'd say short of opening it up and checking if the tracking arm (that the lens sits on) is on properly (again this can get ****ed from rough handling).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

As far as i know (could be wrong) the lens runs along a rail or track while reading and writing..
    U could open here up and try to see whether the rails are clean from all dirt and hairs and try giving them an oiling..
    Without touchin the lens .. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eh before opening it, make sure its not covered by warranty!! If not then go for it.. otherwise leave it and call freecom for a replacement.

Advertisement