Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our music scene

Options
  • 16-10-2002 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

I'm going to have to agree with Rob.C. Alot of people are just simply too lazy to go see new Irish bands. This is not a stab at everybody who posts on this message board as I know alot of people (Amz,Silverfish. Berreta etc) who really support us unsigned bands. But I dont understand why people would prefer to go to an indie club when you have the chance to go to nights where you get the best of both and maybe discover a band you really like; tom from gigsmart deserves alot of credit for this. We most certainly wont be paying to play anymore and will be doing our own nights with the likes of otranome, doug sheridan, skylight and ely with late music and drink deals too so look out for that. We play Isaac Buuts on Sunday the 27th, hope to see some of you there.
    tom

www.beautifullosers.info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Im inclined to agree with mojopin

Im not the best in the world for goin to gigs mainly due to where i live coz its a bit out of the way but ill always try and go to a gig purely out of curiosity and i hope that i mite just find a grreat band. i wonder sometimes why people bother.....
    i've a few friends who criticise the irish music scene sayin its rubbish and whatever but when i invite them to come to gigs to try something/ somewhere different they aren't interested, or are toolazy to get up off their arses and get out and do something. Many people expect to be spoon fed new talent, thats what the pop charts are for methinks. Even if people go to gigs of bands they've never heard of it means that there's the chance that they'll enjoy it. Even if they dont they can still say "yeah i went along anyway" But that kinda bad experience shouldnt put peple off goin as it sometimes does. Often its lack of experience or nerves or whatever that result in a poor performance........

I'm not doin a very good job here.......

Anyway just before you pass judgement head along and support some of these bands it does take a lot of guts to get up on stage and showcase ur work so dont knock it till u try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

hmmmm
    i do a fair amount of both, i like to go to indie/dance clubs and i like to go to gigs. I dont think its fair to criticize somone for preffering to go to a club rather than a gig, because to be honest, im more likely to have a good time in a club than at a gig, coz illl probably like the songs playing at a club, whearas at a gig the band could be crap.

i do go to a few gigs, about 2 a months, i dont think thats anything to be ashamed of. If i like a band i'll go and see them again, but if i wasnt that impressed, then thats it. I also dont have time to get to see gigs, even ones i really want to go and see coz im so busy at the moment, althought im sure everyone's the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

admittedly, i rarely go to venues/gigs to check out new
    bands. It's very hit and miss and miss....
    In fairness, the chances are you won't exactly be
    blown away and there's no point in supporting a band if
    their songs don't appeal to you.

The best way is the CD promo method. Get a 1000 CDs,
    post them to the curious and if you believe you're good,
    than you shouln't have any worries about groups of those
    recipients wanting to see you. At the other end, it's a lot
    handier checkin out bands by listening to their demos and
    knowing what you're going to see or if you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

hmmmm this is a tricky one..........

i have to say that when i went to gigs that people didn't recommend i.e. i just went along for the hell of it about 50% of the bands have been good which is ok - i go to about 1 or 2 gigs a week so that is enuff i think but sometimes i mite not go to a gig for 3 weeks and then go to 5 in one week so what can u do............

Advertisement