Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Mick McCarthy resign now?

• 16-10-2002 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

What a shambles!

I personally sided with Mick over the whole R** K**** affair, but a rubbish manager is a rubbish manager.

The only question in my mind is WILL he go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I don't think he should have ever been appointed as the manager.

He's a brutal manager. Granted he did well in the qualifying for the world cup but other than that the side have been really bad, mainly because of his bad decisions and bad judgement.

IMO Roy Keane was nearly managing the team from the middle of the park.

He needs to go . . . . . . and soon, othrewise we can kiss goodbye to a good run in the European championship, that's if we get there at all:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Bye Bye Mick !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Yes he should.

Well done Wales!!! Yayyyyy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He can stick it up his bollocks, or something.

He'll almost certainly go now, its only a matter of who replaces him. My money's on O' Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

adieu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Well O'Leary has more experience managing top players so i think he's a fairly good bet for replacin McCarthy. There's a total lack of motivation in the team and that was really evident tonite. i'm not impressed. McCarthy's comments yesterday about his enthusiasm for the job bein gone was a major error of judgement on his part particularly before such a crucial match. The players quite obviously reacted badly and 0 points after 2 matches is the result.

See ya mick!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by Amz
    Well O'Leary has more experience managing top players

SHi7e..
    O'Leary is the worst Manager you could bring in...*if* McCarthy is forced out the only men for the Job is Peter Reid or John Aldridge

O'Leary -> once said that there is no room for play makers in modern football that ends the career of McPhail and a number of other excellent players...

I think we should stick with McCarthy... the players failed to perform.

KEEP MCCARTHY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sneakier2

When the **** is someone going to turn the poxy bacon slicer on?

30, 000 covered all-seater stadium for Newry and what do we have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Sneakier2

30, 000 covered all-seater stadium for Newry and what do we have?

Really?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

johhny i was just responding to the previous post sayin bring n O'Leary i think that McCarthy is not experienced enough to manage the callibre of player playin for ireland. I think the fact that his previous managerial position at millwall left him out of touch with what is required by top players if they are to perform at their peak. his PR should also be improved he honestly doesnt do himself any favours so its not surprising the level of criticism he is receiving. A lot of it is unfounded i know but in the heat of the moment people are gonna say things like that. And the hypocrasy of people sayin that R** K**** should be brought bak is rediculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

I posted some time ago that at the moment ( without keane ) we have a no win situation. I stand by that even after tonight.

It bugs me greatly that we have now got a squad of players good enough to compete side by side with the best in the world, but it appears when we go on the pitch that we play like headless chickens.

The only good solution as I see it, although, unfortunately Mc Carthy has made it such a way that he will loose all respect, is that if Mc Carthy and Keane put the past in the past and be professionals.

I am deeply saddened by the calling for Mc Carthy's head in this manner. I feel it is very english of us to "gang up" on the man like this after two defeats.

There is no doubt in my mind that mc carthy had a major role in getting us to the world cup and thereafter getting us to the 2 phase. Now however, I feel that he has lost his way. It my well be time for him to step down, but in a perfect world I see a reconciliation between the two with mc carthy coming to his senses and realising that John O'Shea _must_ be in the team and duff is a _wing_ man.

Anyway, there's little one can say that can make tonight good really is there ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by Amz
    johhny i was just responding to the previous post sayin bring n O'Leary i think that McCarthy is not experienced enough to manage the callibre of player playin for ireland. I think the fact that his previous managerial position at millwall left him out of touch with what is required by top players if they are to perform at their peak. his PR should also be improved he honestly doesnt do himself any favours so its not surprising the level of criticism he is receiving. A lot of it is unfounded i know but in the heat of the moment people are gonna say things like that. And the hypocrasy of people sayin that R** K**** should be brought bak is rediculous.

Here here!!

Well said lad!!

Vincent Hogan in the Indo sums it up nicely:

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=846236&issue_id=8187
    Mick's Fortress Lansdowne becomes a temple of gloom

A NIGHT of restless, clanking noises in the old place.

Lansdowne as a catacomb. At the moment of Fabio Celestini's decisive strike, Mick McCarthy turned, arms folded and moved to the comfort of friends in the dug-out. Packie, Taffy, Tony Hickey. Switzerland's goal was a spike to the forehead.

And soon, the inevitable cries of "Keano, Keano, Keano" began to thicken around him. Robbie was still on the pitch, but this wasn't Robbie's time.

McCarthy shrugged and looked downward at his shoes. The night had given him up. Ended an era.

McCarthy's first competitive loss in Dublin as Irish manager did not precipitate any deep announcement. He talked instead of his deep skin and brass neck. But it sounded more caricature than verity.

McCarthy no longer looks at home here.

Just now, the game is the easy bit. Cathartic almost. No trip-wires, you see. Just the hard, coarse logic of a football contest. A kind of remission from the malevolence that has, of late, been coiling tight around him.

In the dug-out, words escape forensic scrutiny. Subtleties abscond. It's easier to survive the vicissitudes of 90 minutes at the coalface than ten minutes of rage in a Saipan restaurant.

Sure, Roy Keane's ghost straddled the stadium. It was there in the frozen glow of the moon, trembling like an over-hanging branch.

In McCarthy's world, it is inevitable and ever-present now. Like death and tax. He knows Roy won't go away, knows that the good nights may refresh this curious milieu, but they will not cleanse. They will not close the page.

So, for now, these fixtures unfold almost as small-print against the overview. McCarthy was the show here. Every twitch, every frown had to be decoded by the camera lens. As he might say himself, he was in Burton's window. Not quite bare from the rib-cage. But naked in a sense.

Did he look edgy? Irritable? Maudlin?

We needed to know. While the Taoiseach was being jeered, photographers crammed around McCarthy, gaping, snapping, squeezing. He stood impassively for what felt an age but, then, a fissure in the mask.

As if the bulbs had begun to blind, McCarthy wheeled away, now offering just a side-profile. A stand-off ensued, Packie Bonner and Mick Byrne rolling in as human barricades.

Childish in a sense, but reflective of the night. Discomfiture in every thread.

Then the game began and McCarthy seemed to drift into a distant kind of reverie. He looked settled again, invulnerable almost.

But no ambivalence about the mood. Jumpiness abounded. Summer's rhapsodies had paled and atrophied. Niigata? Ibaraki? Yokohama? Suwon?

Almost four months to the day since 100,000 jammed the Phoenix Park for an amorous homecoming, Lansdowne was beset by cheerlessness.

The place raged to a bubbling consternation of insecurity.

Switzerland had come to town, bombarded inevitably with clock and chocolate metaphors. We are scholarly sorts in the Fourth Estate. Sarcasm is an affliction of the trade.

But they brought order and efficiency too. More tellingly, they brought an energy that made Ireland's movement look perfunctory.

Just four minutes in, Cabanas reacted furiously to a Mark Kinsella challenge, jumping to his feet and pushing his head into Ian Harte's face. Mistaken identity perhaps. But no mistaking the mindset.

From there, the temperature continued to plummet. Dublin's sky was heavy with stars but, for Ireland, few apparent favours. The pitch of the game was edging palpably towards the city-end.

Chapuisat ran bright, oblique angles; Cabanas looked menacing. Worse, the Swiss were diving head-long into the physical challenge. Ireland couldn't keep the ball, sometimes couldn't even find it.

In one, harrowing six-minute cluster, Chapuisat shot just wide, Cunningham made a miraculous intercept on Frei and Holland then cleared off the line after Chapuisat had escaped Harte as effortlessly as a training cone.

So the night was seized from the outset. Hairs on the neck did a fox-trot. Ireland made chances but the Swiss were gouging great, red gashes through the middle.

Frei had the ball in Given's net nine minutes from the interval, but some kind god lifted the linesman's flag with an invisible winch. Hakan Yakin went close next. Wicky too. Then the nerves exploded.

Cunningham fouled Frei and from the kick, Murat Yakin lobbed behind the Irish cover to where his brother side-footed beyond Given. A goal on the stroke of half-time. A signal.

Ireland huffed and puffed through the second spell and, on will alone, deserved the 77th minute equaliser, Magnin putting through his own goal under pressure from Breen.

But there was an artificial air to the commotion now. The din wasn't quite singeing the ear-drums.

So, when Celestini's goal arrived, three minutes from the end, it was no thunderbolt. Switzerland had looked better and brighter throughout. A team on a climb.

Hope just bled away from Ireland as the last seconds dragged and a needling thought materialised that Rupert Murdoch may be remembered, in time, as a compassionate man who saved the nation hurt.

Sad night and a broken spell.

MY PLAYER RATINGS Given 7, Kelly 6, Harte 5, Cunningham 6, Breen 6, Healy 6, Kinsella 5, Holland 6, Kilbane 5, Duff 7, Keane 6. Subs: Morrison 6, Butler and Doherty (not on long enough to be rated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He probably should resign, but who else is going to do it? I don't fancy the idea of O'Leary anyway.

The performance tonight was absolute muck, and as for McCarthy saying they were unfortunate to go in 1-0 down at half-time, I don't know what first half he was watching.

Now watch as he persists with Gary Breen instead of O'Shea and Kevin Fu<king Kilbane in the next game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Has McCarthy any redeeming qualities?
    His biggest flaw imho is that he really thinks that a draw is a good result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

He should resign but I don't think he will unless he's offered another job in England.

Mick's managerial record is not at all impressive, he was a flop at Millwall and has taken Ireland to one out of three major tournaments in the last six years. I don't know why any club would take him on, it would be suicide!

The FAI will support him even if Ireland lose to Russia and Switzerland in the return fixtures and finish third in the group. I hate to say it, but I think we'll be stuck with him until 2004.

:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

What a great nite of results!!

Flat forehead mcfarty got what he deserved.

Eng er land may as well have lost, that ponytail lobbed again!!!

Fair play to wales, a team with balls

I do not think he will go - too thick skinned and the FAI will see it as given into the keano clique.
    Great to hear the great mans name chanted last nite.

BTW - If Mcfarty brought keane back do you think it would change public opinion about him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

One week in the running for a premiership team, next week looking at the sack.

If the only obstacle to him taking the Sunderland job was the reported outrageous 1 million compensation that the FIA were looking for then he should stay until he is fired and get some money out of them rather than being pressured into resigning with no job to go to.

Sky have got burnt with their 7 Million pound deal. Who wants to watch a team fail to qualify for Euro 2004 much less take out a Sky Sports subscription for same? Who bothered watch TV3s coverage. What advertiser will pay top dollar for advertising space around matches that involve an also-ran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Should he resign yes I think so. I backed him during the Saipan incident, but it looks like the team no longer fights for him or us. Personally I would have no problem with O'Lerary taking the reins or even Peter Reid but I do feel a change is needed.

Gandalf.

(Roy Keane should never play for Ireland still imho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

I am sorry to say but you People , kinda loved him and respected him a few months ago for the World cup and now after one match it's all gone....nice support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

I would just like to say before I start that I have never liked Mick McCarthy while he has been manager of Ireland as I have never thought he was good enough.

Ok granted Ireland are not the best team in the worl but we should definitely be qualifying for pretty much every competition. The man has taken us to one Major Championship in his whole reign as manager and yet still the FAI persist with him. They praised him when we got knocked out in a play off (Why are we always content with second place) and even this time when we did qualify we lost one of the play off games!!!!!!

He is not a good man manager at all i.e. The Roy Keane thing

He is the mosty stubborn manager I have ever seen when it comes to making a change in the team layout and who starts for Ireland. Everybody who was watching the world cup could see that Ian Harte was not playing well and yet McCarthy still continued to play him - Fair Play to Ian Harte for playing the games but he must have been wondering why he was on the pitch at all when we had adequate replacements on the bench. He continued to play Kilbane on the left wing after a largely innefective World Cup in both the Russia and Switzerland games even though Kilbane has not been even getting on the bench for sunderland regularly this season????? Why would you do this when we have one of the current best left wingers in the world playing up front where we could be playing Clinton Morrisson who is knocking in quite a few goals this season..............

The problem with McCarthy is that he will probably play the same team again for the next qualifier even though anybody at all can c that we have other players for certain positions on the pitch.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭JAFO

Now Gandalf... you wouldn't be much of a wizard, if you refused to play EASILY your countrys' best player on, now would ye??!!

Some fella called in on 2FM last night (i only tuned in to hear the reaction, otherwise a crap wireless service!!) anyhow, this fella says "we gotta get rid of 'em both"
    D.J.: "who now?, what both"
    Fella: Mick AND Bertie
    D.J.'s and fella "ahahahahahahaaa"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

WHats that JAFO Liam Brady is coming back from retirement :)

Gandalf.

Hell Sparky woulda light up that midfield alright, even if he jogged out there last night... er, actually WHAT midfield!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by yop

Flat forehead mcfarty got what he deserved.

Did it take you long to think that one up?? :rolleyes:

yeah true...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Originally posted by Stinkah
    I am deeply saddened by the calling for Mc Carthy's head in this manner. I feel it is very english of us to "gang up" on the man like this after two defeats...

I absolutely disagree with you. His record has been going from bad to worse.

Starting with the match we lost in Iran, his record is

Won 1
    Lost 4 (Inc Spain)
    Drew 2

Noteably Roy Keane has been missing for all of the above matches. (Another of micks phyrric victories).

Now he's always going on about how the game is all about results. well his results have been shyte, just like his team selections.

Well Mick, You are the weakest link! Goodbye.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Well, The FAI doesnt have the kinda money to pay for any better, I've always said that McCarthy wasnt a great manager, he didnt really have the experience, and the Fact that he played Phil Babb against russia, the guy who has been off the team for so long.

it says it itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 alanj1

Played 2, lost 2. Half the crowd at Lansdowne chanted for Keane the rest chanted for Ireland, no-one chanted for McCarthy. "Loyal Mick" played Damien Duff, who would start for Real Madrid on the left of midfield, up front and put Kevin Kilbane on the left. This after everyone has been screaming for him not to do it ! John O'Shea and Clinton Morrison, who have both started brilliantly this season, were nowhere to be seen.

McCarthy must me removed now. There is a 5 month break until our next qualifier against Georgia, what better time to bring in a new manager ?

Irish supporters it's time to make a stand, let the FAI know that you won't let Irish football be ruined even further. If you think McCarthy should go then please visit this page and send your thoughts to the FAI. http://www.gavinjoyce.com/McCarthyMustGo/

• Advertisement

exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Two in a row, it's not looking good.

Get owt!

it seems like loyal Mick fell on his loyal sword!!

Eamonn Dunphy is quoted as saying that he'd love the Ireland manager's job but he couldn't manage the cut in pay...

The knives are out for McCarthy it would seem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Originally posted by Wook
    I am sorry to say but you People , kinda loved him and respected him a few months ago for the World cup and now after one match it's all gone....nice support.

Wook I think your missing the point here, it's not so much about losing, its more about uncountable blunderous managerial decisions which he has made.

I will just take two from the last two games,1. On comes Phil Babb

When we are 4-2 down(what was going through his mind)

2. Taking off Harte, 2 mins later they run up the right wing and score.

There are a million more i could name such as starting positions, players of choice.

He has made some very poor decisions which imho have cost us these past two matches.

O.k the players of course have a lot to do with it, but lets face it if you go and tell the papers that your only half assed about the coaching job, your players will lose respect for you, which seemed to be the case last night.

The whole RK affair eh, he is manager of Ireland he is paid to put his personal emotions on the side(I dont think this man is capable of doing this) and not to be a childish stubborn brat.
    Thats usually the players job(and we all know Roy does a damn good job of this as did Mick and this is why he should have known better).

Micks decisions and actions remind me much of what used to be seen every day on the cs board, mindless posting with very little thought what so ever.

I cannot offer anymore support to this stubborn manager who cannot see and accept his continious managerial mistakes, yet I am sure that anyone with half a clue about football spotted these mistakes a long time ago.

The man must change his ways NOW or leave the job to someone who knows whats best for the team.

Well said SAMBA, stubborn is really the key word in all of this sorry mess

• Advertisement

thank u for backing me up woohoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

Sack Mick birng in O leary

no not o'leary aldridge!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Mick has used up his 'loyalty' card in my view.

He has had a lot of leeway and not gotten the results. He openly admits to paying no mind to media coverage and criticism. I am not saying a manager should get bogged down in media, but if people are trying to tell you something you should at least take it on board. This is not just about last night - people have been expressing doubt for a long time now.

His squad selection is flawed and yet he refuses to change - is it because he wants to pass off the image of being impervious to outside influence ... holding a bad selection just to make a point?

I sided with Keane in that whole episode and lost all respect for the 'manager' who failed to manage his key player. It is done and dusted but as a manager you keep your personal feelings out of it and field your best team. McCarthy does neither in my view.

I do not think he will survive this, and even if he scrapes a token win along the way, I still think he should go.

Bring Keane in as a player manager ;)

exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

I'm delighted for Sky Sports, up their holes as they say. Terrible result for Ireland, but I have a solution:

Install Jimmy Magee immediately as manager, with Marty Morrissey as a spiritual adviser. Convince Seamus Moynihan to play soccer, and put Davy Fitzgerald in goals. Dave O'Leary can be the waterboy, Bono can be the coach.

For a brief moment in time it looked like we had a semi-decent team, everyone got carried away, and now everyone's freaking out because the reality has set in.

Like I said at the top of this post, I'm delighted for Sky Sports.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did it take you long to think that one up??

huh??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The only question in my mind is WILL he go?

No.
    He's going to see it through to the end. I have to admire the man for his conviction, or rather, his blind faith in his players. Not because it's stupid, but he's showing a lot of charecter by sticking with them. Problem is they're not good players (I'm not refering to the team as a whole here, just the 3/4 that we all know should be ousted), and there's talent on the bench waiting to replace them. I fear that he's going to stick with this team AGAIN for the next qualifier.

For those of you who fancy a few bob:
    After Ireland's abysmal start to their Euro 2004 qualifying campaign - Paddy Powers have started a book on who's likely to succeed Mick McCarthy. Among the odds being offered today are Alex Ferguson @ 6/1 - Roy Keane and Niall Quinn neck and neck @ 10/1 .... and Eamon Dunphy taking up the running @ 500/1.

Dunphy's worth a Euro I rekcon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Originally posted by kamobe
    He's going to see it through to the end. I have to admire the man for his conviction, or rather, his blind faith in his players. Not because it's stupid, but he's showing a lot of charecter by sticking with them

He is a football manager, not a religious icon. I would rather admire him for getting a result.

Problem:

1) McCarthy is a bad manager (tactics & results are there for all to see).
    2) Organisation that hires & fires the Irish manager (FAI) has said they want to keep him until 2004 and beyond.
    3) World class footballer and possibly the greatest leader on a pitch (Keane) is in International football limbo.

Solution:
    We are the only ones that can change this, we have to let the FAI know our feelings on the matter.

Go through your local football team.
    Ring up the FAI.
    Send an email to the FAI (info@fai.ie).
    Send an email through this form (http://www.gavinjoyce.com/McCarthyMustGo/).
    Write a letter to the FAI.
    Write a letter/email/phone call to the media (newspaper, tv/radio station).

But if you care about Irish football, if you want to go delirious with joy once again, get up off your arse and do something about it. Let the FAI know your feelings.

Damn well said alanj, going to take care of these matters right now, cmon people, let's start bangin on doors!!.. online doors to start with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Problem:

1. The FAI have shown time after time that they don't give a damn what Irish fans think.

2. McCarthy won't resign until someone from the FAI gives him a big bad of money to do so.

3. The FAI are unlikely to give McCarthy a big bag of money, as they are currently looking to extend his contract.

4. The FAI are never wrong.

So what do we do Occidental ? Do we just sit back and accept that ? or do we try to change it ?

We all know the FAI listen to money. I wasn't at Lansdowne last night and I won't be again until McCarthy is gone. I don't have SKY sports and I won't be getting it. This is my small message to the FAI but if enough people don't give any money to the FAI ....

I was at Italy '90, I've been at nearly every home match in the last 14 years, I was over in Japan. It's not easy to not go along and support the team but the point needs to be made. We can't sit back and watch Irish football go down the toilet.

yep... alan is right, there's no point in complaining about something if you do nothing about it!, just do a little something like go to his webspace and get your message to the FAI, it'll take 2mins and it might just bankroll into somethin BIG!!

but.. yer dead right Occidental, the FAI really don't give a F&*K about the fans... but let's put 'em under pressure anyhow!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement