Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

View from the far side....

• 16-10-2002 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Living in Switzerland, (as I do), and having watched the match (as I did), I must say that the commentators over here are even more biased in terms of their opinions on referee decisions than the Irish are.

That said, it was pretty obvious that they were massively surprised and bloody damn proud to have beaten the Irish.

Why am I saying this? Well - our team were terrible from what I saw, and I'm pretty sure that there's going to be mounds of disgust over this loss. However, the impression over here was that we were still giants to beat, and the only two things in their favour were our nervousness from our "shock" defeat in the last game, and the effort their team were willing to make.

Yes it was disappointing, but the team is still highly regarded by the outside world. It does show a small ray of hope.

Should McCarthy go? Perhaps. But I wouldnt rule him out just yet.

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

the impression over here was that we were still giants to beat

Not any longer methinks, McCarthy is destroying Irelands reputation at double quick speed. Albania will fancy thier chances.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

He may be destroying it, but he also built it.

He's made a lot of mistakes in the recent games, but lets not jump ahead of ourselves. If we lose to Albania... well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

In all fairness, you cannot place all the blame on McCarthy, unless you are also willing to give him all the credit for hauling Ireland from 65th place in the world rankings up to a respectable 13th in his tenure.

Just as that is a falsehood, so too is it to say that it is solely down to the players, and their fault alone for the recent results. It is a two-fold thing, and it would be good if people would recognise that from time to time.

However, I would agree that McCarthy's recent choices in terms of players has been off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Originally posted by PiE
    He may be destroying it, but he also built it.

He's made a lot of mistakes in the recent games, but lets not jump ahead of ourselves. If we lose to Albania... well...

well said....

its really down to the players to perform...dont blame McCarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I think McCarthy and the rest of us have to accept that another rebuilding period lies ahead of us.

Apart from the Roy Keane factor, we are now also without two very influential players - Quinny and Stan. We've got nobody to take control of the players on the park.

We need to start rebuilding now, and not wait for the entire team to go down the Swannee. With a bit of luck we might have the makings of a team in time for Germany 2006, but we got to get on it soon.

If it means Mccarthy swallowing some pride and blooding the likes of O'Shea, Butler and a few other of our U21s, so be it, but there's no point in waiting until we're mathematically out of the group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't think McCarthy is entirely to blame - just about 75%. He selects the players and thier positions and the formation, it maybe that he'll learn something from the last two games, but doubtful.

He proberly won't get the time anyway...

Mike.

Advertisement