Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can ping ips only

Options
  • 16-10-2002 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Win98 Second Edition, and connects grand to the net with eircoms free dial-up service. I've set the nameservers in the dial-up connection but when I get on the net I cannot browse anywhere. I opened a command prompt and pinged the nameservers. I a reply. The ones I'm using are:

When I try and ping hostname like www.eircom.net I get "Host not found" or an error similiar.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sounds like a (presumably temporary) glitch with the ISP's DNS service.

Tried re-connecting to eircomnet or dialling up to a different ISP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I had a similiar problem (on 3 seperate occasions, probably some 'Help!' posts on this board) when I was using Win98. I was able to ping and log on to ICQ & MSN but couldn't browse. Unless it is just a temporary glitch as Bard says, the only way I could fix it was to format. I tried using different modems (internal & external), ISP's, modem drivers... everything. Annoying as fluck. Just get rid of Win98 if you are forced to format :\

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Reinstalling the o/s was a bit drastic wasn't it?

Nothing you do at your end will have any affect if the problem is with the ISP's DNS servers.

I would suggest that if re-connecting or connecting to another ISP doesn't work, then you wait a while and try again and if the problem persists phone tech support to see if they're aware of a network problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not so drastic after a week of trying to fix it, ringing Eircom Tech Support (to which they replied "the line is fine" and earnt their wage) and it worked straight after the reinstall.

Though of course I would recommend waiting to see if it sorts itself out :]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

That happened to me last night too Patrick, it sorted itself out afterwards... i.e. Eircon fixed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Type nslookup and hit enter.
    It should identify Eircoms DNS server as the one you are using.
    Try putting in www.yahoo.co.uk etc...
    If this works check that your web browser is not setup to use a proxy server. If it is set it not to use a proxy server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

YOu could also try reinstalling client for microsoft networks and TCP/IP .. could be a winsock problem

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Don't think "nslookup" will work in win98. It's in a neighbours house. I'll go over and try it again this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

put in a different DNS internet IP into your dial up connection:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Better yet, select 'Server assigned name server address' and let Windows grab the DNS details from ppp negotiation per session. These are more likely to be correct since the ISP will (in theory) keep them up to date during server moves, netblock migration etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cat5cowboy

Well in all fairness you should probably have your secondary DNS server as an IP on another ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

this has happened to me a few time and re installing the os will work but what worked for me once was installing and update for internet exployer i think win98 corrupts its self over time

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

the way ive solved this if the machine has a network adaptor is to put the IP's of your ISP's DNS server into the DNS section for the network and it starts working, seems like after a while win 98 starts ignoring the DNS from the dial up connection. This only obviously applies of you arent already using DNS on your network.

Advertisement