Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First UTVip Internet Phone Bill / Charges

Options
  • 17-10-2002 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Sorry to be a pain. And I know my last thread like this one was locked. But I have just got my first phone bill from UTVip and its €140 cheaper than Eircon. ( And note thats only for 1 line) So I just want to say thanks UTVip :p ye have made my day :)

OHP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im not going to move this into the existing thread as billing issues are more important than minor service issues (probably) and people wont want to wade through 60 pages in the other thread.

So in short, post billing issues here (since i know your going to post them anyway:) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Noticed on my bill that i started to be charged 3 days before i got an activation e-mail. If i knew i could of been using flat rate for those 3 days it would of saved a few quid..... Also the subscription charged started then too. Have mailed support and waiting for an answer.

Anyone else have similar issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ye one person show'd me there bill and it showed up that he was bing bill'd a few days b4 he was on the service . he also said that he had a few phone calls that were on his bill that seemed larger then a eircom bill but he could of gotton that bit wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think Eircomgive a 39% discount on national calls with the Gold Option. They give 24% discount with their local day time rates on this options plan.

So - with UTVs telephoney set up charges - Does this not make UTV more expensive?

They match Eircoms mobile rates - but do they not change an additional set up charge?

I think - I'll still go with Esat. I would still love to go with UTV - I honestly do not know about their phone service.

Please note - I am no fan of Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

My last Eircom Bill - €256.03

My UTVip Bill for September - €62.88 (including €29.99 for October)

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You UTV!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"My last Eircom Bill -

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You UTV! "

I'm no expert - but 62.88 for *two* months, works out at 15.70-ish for every two week period, not 32.87 as Murthile stated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Noticed on my bill that i started to be charged 3 days before i got an activation e-mail. If i knew i could of been using flat rate for those 3 days it would of saved a few quid..... Also the subscription charged started then too. Have mailed support and waiting for an answer.

Actually I see that on my bill too now that you pointed it out. Activation Date 18/09/02 and the bill dates from the 16/09/02?
    It's just 2 days, but like you said I could have saved even more money if I had known about it. But after saveing €140+ im not going to crib :) Im just happy Eircon are twice that out of pocket and long may it continue! Excuese me for saying this but: I hope Eircon CHOKE! and the BILLIONS they have robbed from us dwindle away and they are left with just a 56k Modem and a crappy line and no one who gives a **** about them.

OHP

P.S. Thanks for not Del / Locking my post / thread Dustaz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Originally posted by Páid
    My last Eircom Bill - €256.03

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You UTV!

Was that your total amount due or just the internet usage portion Paid?

I just had a look at my last bill again €556.31! €295 of which was Internet. Thats the portion of the bill I pay as the parents pay the rest. I never paid much attention to the rest of the bill or the total amount due. I would just check the internet section and open my wallet!

I knew about the 70 euro odd line rental (which I'll probably start paying myself) but I was shocked when I read the rest of the bill. 2 1/2 hours worth of peak local - €7 (fair enough?) , 5 hours peak to mobile - €69 effing quid!!!!!! It costs 5 times as much to ring a mobile as a landline??? Then I came to the VAT. €97!!!! No wonder the government don't want to do anything about perminute charging. They'll lose a fortune in vat!

So Paid, I echo your sentiments

Heres my last eircom bill followed by what I think would be the utv equivalent. Please note, I havent gotten a Utv bill yet and this last eircom bill wasn't the norm. The internet portion is usually around the €200-220 mark( must have been browsing a lot of smut that 2 months :D )

Recurring charges(incl line rental) - 68.02

local - 6.83
    local isdn
    (13hr peak=€13.66)
    (447hr offpeak=€281.90) - 295.57
    Britain - 15.43
    Britain (excl blah blah) - 2.87
    To 087 - 0.18
    To 086 - 69.21

total call charges - 390.13
    total Vat - 96.21
    Total of this(eircom) bill - 554.36

............and with Utv(haven't got a bill yet)

Recurring Charges (Eircom) - 68.02
    Vat on rental - 14.28

local 6.83-25%(1.60) - 5.23
    local isdn
    (13hr peak=13.66-25%)=10.80
    (utv flatrate+(hr excess-25%))
    59.98+(91.14-22.78=)68.36
    =128.34 - 139.14
    Britain - 15.43
    Britain (excl blah blah) - 2.87
    To 087 - 0.18
    To 086 - 69.21
    total call charges - 232.06
    total Vat - 48.73
    Total of this utv bill €280(+eircom rental) - 363.09!!

Saving €191.27

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You UTV! .....did I say Thank You!

Ps. Scott Taunton must be having a heart attack reading this ("We won't be making any money on this customer lads")

PPS. Feck, all me lovely formatting has been screwed up!:mad:

Originally posted by OHP
    Actually I see that on my bill too now that you pointed it out. Activation Date 18/09/02 and the bill dates from the 16/09/02?
    It's just 2 days, but like you said I could have saved even more money if I had known about it. But after saveing €140+ im not going to crib :) Im just happy Eircon are twice that out of pocket and long may it continue! Excuese me for saying this but: I hope Eircon CHOKE! and the BILLIONS they have robbed from us dwindle away and they are left with just a 56k Modem and a crappy line and no one who gives a **** about them.

OHP

P.S. Thanks for not Del / Locking my post / thread Dustaz

Yeah, its not really much of an issue to be honest. I actually thought the subscription started 3 days earlier than it did and that is not the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by mbroaders

To clarify on billing:

To provision the service we first activate the CLI on our telco network then send the request for CPS to eircom. When eircom activate CPS your calls are then instantly routed via UTV Internet.

However, it can take eircom up to 7 days to inform us that CPS has been activated.

In order to get your accounts activated asap so you can avail of the internet package we search the daily call records produced and as soon as we see that you have produced a telephony call record we activate your account.

As the call records are produced in arrears there will always be telephony calls on the bill prior to the internet package being activated. We have developed these steps to get your account active earlier than expected and for most people the lead-time is less than 10 days.

The subscription charge will only be started when you receive the activation and welcome e-mail and not the date of the first calls.

I hope this makes sense and clarifys the reason for the billing.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Thank You for using DeVore's Telco Translation Services.
    "Saying The Things Telco's WANTED to Say Since 1998!"

Originally posted by Malcolm
    To clarify on billing:

To provision the service we first activate the CLI on our telco network then send the request for CPS to eircom. When eircom activate CPS your calls are then instantly routed via UTV Internet.

We have to get Eircom to do stuff for us before we can provide you service. You know what they're like.

However, it can take eircom up to 7 days to inform us that CPS has been activated.

Eircom are all huffy cos you left. They've no interest in making it a pleasant transfer and the more they do to make us look bad, the better. They basically do the transfers when they have nothing better to do and dont bother telling us because that would be helpful.

In order to get your accounts activated asap so you can avail of the internet package we search the daily call records produced and as soon as we see that you have produced a telephony call record we activate your account.

Since Eircom wont help us, we watch your phone account and when you make a call we realise "hey, they've been switched over". Its fncked up that we have to do this but we're fighting against the Evil Empire to bring you a proper service.

As the call records are produced in arrears there will always be telephony calls on the bill prior to the internet package being activated. We have developed these steps to get your account active earlier than expected and for most people the lead-time is less than 10 days.

This contorted and unscientific approach we've had to adopt leads to some anomalies in your first bill.

The subscription charge will only be started when you receive the activation and welcome e-mail and not the date of the first calls.

I hope this makes sense and clarifys the reason for the billing.

Basically we do what we can to rectify the situation so that you dont lose out and we shield you from the final ignominious huffing of your previous telco. Childish isnt it?

We hope DeVore's Telco Translation Service has helped you understand the true meaning behind this Telco Communication!

If you 've got a problem, if you dont understand what they are on about, if you have noone left to turn to, please dont hesitate to call 1-800-devore. We're here for you.

DeV.

[
    Saving €191.27

Well - UTVs call costs claim to be 25% cheaper than Eircoms standard call charges. Except for mobiles that UTV match Eircoms charges.

But with Eircoms Gold option you get 39% saving on national calls. You get 25% savings on local daytime calls.

You do not pay call set up charges on calls that you make.

I find - it hard to see where call savings can be made on the telephony side. If anybody has an idea - let me know.

On the internet side - UTV win hands down. There is great credit due to them.

But on the balance - I think I might go 4 the Esat deal (ouch) as I can choose what ever phone provider that offers me the best deal.

I am not a grouch - or I don'tknow anybody in any phone company - but I think people need all the information - when they are making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by DeVore
    If you 've got a problem, if you dont understand what they are on about, if you have noone left to turn to, please dont hesitate to call 1-800-devore.

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire THE UTV A-TEAM" BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG! :D

Sorry folks, I just couldn't resist getting that one in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Cork

But with Eircoms Gold option you get 39% saving on national calls. You get 25% savings on local daytime calls.

But how much does the Gold Option cost?

Dont take this the wrong way Cork, but you've said you're going to go with Esat about 50 times now...

"I'm going now... dont you dare try and stop me..."

It's almost as if you want us to convince u not to :]

Go with whoever you think is best for you. (UTV UTV UTV :))

Points taken: UTV are the best for the net.

But - If you are on Eircom Options Gold - It is probably a greater dicount than UTVs 25% - as you have to pay call set up charges with UTV.

I am still with Eircom at yje minute being charged 1.26c per minute. So - I must go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well - UTVs call costs claim to be 25% cheaper than Eircoms standard call charges. Except for mobiles that UTV match Eircoms charges.But with Eircoms Gold option you get 39% saving on national calls. You get 25% savings on local daytime calls.
    You do not pay call set up charges on calls that you make.

Of course some companies products be it UTVi, esats Netsmart and even eircoms gold option will be better or worse value wise for each individual depending on their usage patterns(phone/net). For me it was a no brainer as you can see. €295 of the €390 call charges was internet use. Most of the balance ie €69 was to a roaming mobile in the Uk and €15 to a Uk landline (which I copped on to since my last post- the 'oul lad' calling the 'oul one' while she was in her sisters in Manchester :D ) Basically if we didn't use the internet our average bill would be tiny.

I'm making a concerted effort to cut down on my internet usage since the last bill nearly made me faint so I should be saving even more hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sorry to bring this up here, but its got to do with billing so... :)

Malcolm, how do I get a printed bill mailed to me each month? I've emailed UTVip support about it a number of times over the last month but have never got a response besides the initial autoresponder.

Ta :D

- stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

This might seem like a lame question but...

If I dial up to UTVip from a different phone number, ie: if I'm in someone's else's house with my laptop, with my UTVip password and number settings, how will I be charged? By the minute, or in the same way as if I were dialing from my own connection at home ie: flatrate? :)

Dg

If I dial up to UTVip from a different phone number, ie: if I'm in someone's else's house with my laptop, with my UTVip password and number settings, how will I be charged? By the minute, or in the same way as if I were dialing from my own connection at home ie: flatrate?

By the minute. You can only get flatrate over your UTV CPS Enabled phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dannygirl

Thanks mbroaders :)

Dg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Originally posted by Stephen
    Sorry to bring this up here, but its got to do with billing so... :)

Malcolm, how do I get a printed bill mailed to me each month? I've emailed UTVip support about it a number of times over the last month but have never got a response besides the initial autoresponder.

Ta :D

- stephen

Don't mean to sound rude but I found it a lot easier to just print it myself?. If you don't have a printer then I understand :)

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

Well I would have been delighted by UTVip IF I hadn't run up €35 in three days dialing the WRONG EFFIN' UTV number, in SPITE OF warnings not to do same posted to this board :(

Without that particular pathology on my part my bill for 2 weeks would have come in under €30 (including peaksaver charge) which, as my last Eircon bill was at an all time high of €430 makes me one very happy puppy INDEED :)

Today I got a call from Eircon to ask me why I had switched to another carrier?

Like they need to ASK??

Was it pricing, or were their other considerations?

Like they need to ASK???

And I was surprised when credit control (who STILL haven't managed to cancel my subscriber account, but what the heck? Aren't we all MADE of money?) ask ME what an "ISP" was???

Interestingly, my unsolicited Eircon Contact "Vernon" assured me that Eircon was in a difficult position as the regulator was "NOT ALLOWING FURTHER PRICE DROPS".

You will recognise Vernon if you see him, he is the guy with a flea in his ear the size of an elephant...

G

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Stephen
    Malcolm, how do I get a printed bill mailed to me each month?

i taught we would get it anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Malcolm

Originally posted by ando
    i taught we would get it anyway?
    As an internet company who promotes on-line activity we provide a fully itemised bill on-line for all customers and we encourage users to view, download and print out the bill as required. However, if anyone requires a hard copy bill to be posted out we will do so if requested by e-mail but this will incur a charge of €1.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

€ircon would charge the same for an itemised bill on a monthly basis and only give you a free online option if you have paid for the hard copy....... so don't even start on poor Malcolm.

It may be an idea to mail out the bill in text format upon submission and checking of customer number/email by a UTV customer Malcolm. If they cannot view the java on the web page then email on request is probably the best alternative.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just recived my e-mails and got this!-

Date:
    Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:53:10 +0100

Ref: ******

The payment for your UTVip account has been declined.

Please contact us at your earliest convenience to arrange payment.

Regards

Sharon Bryans
    UTV Internet Ltd
    www.u.tv
    (NI) 0845 2470000
    (ROI) 1890 926000

I'm supposed to by paying by credit card which I know is valid as I've used it since. Strange, and Sharon has no doubt gone for her tae by now...:(

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by mike65
    I just recived my e-mails and got this!-

Date:
    Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:53:10 +0100

Ref: ******

The payment for your UTVip account has been declined.

Please contact us at your earliest convenience to arrange payment.

Regards

Sharon Bryans
    UTV Internet Ltd
    www.u.tv
    (NI) 0845 2470000
    (ROI) 1890 926000

I'm supposed to by paying by credit card which I know is valid as I've used it since. Strange, and Sharon has no doubt gone for her tae by now...:(

Mike.

Perhaps you made the mistake of not using a credit card not issued by a British bank?

Britain's flaky credit card processing system (when it comes to processing cards not issued in GB) is one of the worst on the planet at rejecting perfectly valid cards.

Many credit card processors there reject cards that don't have a "beginning valid date" - a British invention from back when they created the "Access" credit card (since dead) as a Eurosceptic antidote to the Eurocard used elsewhere in Europe. The issuing banks spammed millions of households with unsolicited "Access" cards. Surprize some of these households were away on vacation when the cards dropped thru the mailbox. Someone else got their hands on the cards the householders were not expecting and fraudulently used them. They introduced the idea of a beginning valid date (as well as an expiry date) and mailed the cards a month or so before they could be used to combat this security risk.

In the rest of Europe banks don't junkmail credit cards at unsuspecting clients and make them liable as a result. They therefore don't need to breach international card standards.

To make matters worse, many accepters of credit cards in GB who create their own software fail to include an up to date table of valid credit card prefix numbering ranges. The same holds true for POS terminals at many British chain stores. If you don't have a British credit or debit card, there is a 50:50 chance it won't work - particularly if it is a new credit card product issued elsewhere in Europe.

sax0000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by sax0000
    Perhaps you made the mistake of using a credit card not issued by a British bank?

sax0000

Material typo correction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by sax0000
    Perhaps you made the mistake of not using a credit card not issued by a British bank?

My card by VISA thru Permanent TSB and is okay for Amazon.co.uk
    and various other UK business' so that should'nt be an issue. I trust if I accidently inputed the wrong number they'd just issue an e-mail me telling me the account was'nt set-up correctly.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Scott Taunton

UTV uses a Dublin based banking system for the processing of credit cards. If you can bear with us until Monday (yes, no bank holiday for us :( , we'll get it sorted for you.

Kind regards

Scott Taunton
    UTVi

Advertisement