Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What swing is needed for Yes to win.

Options
  • 17-10-2002 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

I did a few calculations just now (when I was suppose to be working - the sacrifices I make for this board ;) ) and I reckon that the 'Yes' side will need a swing of 8.4% or more in order win this referendum on Saturday. This will be a tall order if the turnout is anything like what came out the last time.

The 'Yes' side will need to win the following constituencies...
    Carlow-Kilkenny
    Cavan-Monaghan
    Clare
    Cork South-West
    Cork South-Central
    Dublin South-East
    Dublin North
    Dublin South
    Dun Laoghaire
    Galway East
    Kildare North
    Kildare South
    Laois-Offaly
    Limerick East
    Limerick West
    Longford-Roscommon
    Louth
    Meath
    Tipperary North
    Tipperary South
    Waterford
    Wexford
    Wicklow

The following constituencies was where the 'No' vote was strongest the last time. These will have to remain that way for 'No' to win...
    Cork East
    Cork North-West
    Cork North-Central
    Donegal North-East
    Donegal South-West
    Dublin Central
    Dublin North-Central
    Dublin North-East
    Dublin North-West
    Dublin South-Central
    Dublin South-West
    Dublin West
    Galway West
    Kerry North
    Kerry South
    Mayo
    Sligo-Leitrim
    Westmeath

How do you reckon it's going to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Apparently, there's been a huge jump in people are going to vote in the past month. Especially in the 18-24 age group, where the figure almost doubled (up now to 55%). So it could go either way. In general, it seems younger voters are more likely to vote No and older voters are more likely to vote Yes, so it's gonna be miiighty close.......

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Personally from talking to people I would say the younger voters are more likely to vote Yes and the older ones to vote No.

The Government reckon they need a turnout of 45% or higher to win this vote. Its going to be interesting on the day to see if referedum fatigue turns voters away.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Turnout will proibably be lower than most people think. 45% sounds like being a bit optimistic. 38% - 40% seems more likely.

Saturday polling should be interesting though. I wonder what percentage of the electorate are going away for the weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

How do you reckon it's going to go?
    If it rains on Saturday, it'll be a no. If the sun shines, it'll be yes. It's all about turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Well, I've a feeling turnout will be high.... for this reason.

Saturday Night Mass.

Voting stations are normally schools, and a good amount of those in rural areas are near churches. People go to Mass come hell or high water. Next weekend is the long weekend, not this weekend, so a lot of folk wont be planning a getaway, to stop them from voting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

From www.met.ie :D

Dry and clear in most areas Friday night, Saturday and Saturday night, but further showers in places also (mainly along the North and West coasts). Winds becoming light. Widespread ground frost both nights - severe in places. Risk overnight fog patches as well.

Set fair for polling day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

What swing is needed for Yes to win.

Perhaps just a litany of lies about the Treaty being exclusively about expansion will suffice. Disregard Ireland's participation in the Rapid Reaction Force (with or without a constitutional ammendment prohibiting Ireland joining a European Army), disregard enhanced cooperation structrues leading to an Avant Garde of European Federalism and disregard the European Union supplanting national governments in the area of external Commerical negotiations and just stick to the lie about the Treaty being about expansion and that would be the best hope of securing a Yes vote.

Strange people keep telling me Ireland wants the Nice Treaty, to my mind the 'government' wants the Nice Treaty and thinks (rather arrogantly) that with enough jiggery pokery it can extract the desired result from the people and call it 'the will of the people' when it fact, it would be the will of the government.

To say that is to say that if the majority of people vote yes, their opinion doesn't matter as they have in some way been brainwashed by the government.
    I don't agree, the issues are being well debated and the information provided by the referendum commission is top class.

In fact I have heard more people saying they are voting no as they do not understand the treaty than I have heard people saying they are voting Yes because they do not understand the treaty.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

turnout of over 41% but it will be very close either way, perhaps a few hundred votes.

No power downgrade for Ireland. No to Nice on Saturday.

Ruari Quinn on Nice:
    quinn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

your dead right davo they're too hard hitting against the yes campaign...ill provide links in future :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭bertiebowl

All the YES side need is 80,000 more votes..........I think we can and will win this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I think the Yes side are arrogant, presumptuous, deserve a kicking and will get a kicking on Saturday.

No to Nice on Saturday kiddies, we're in this one for the species.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Typedef
    I think the Yes side are arrogant,

as opposed to a No advocate saying things like :
    deserve a kicking
    and
    we're in this one for the species
    presumptuous

as opposed to a No advocate saying things like :

, and will get a kicking on Saturday.

Hello, Mr Kettle? I have Typedef on the phone, and he's calling to say you're black.....

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

These are the swings needed, as per constituency, for the 'Yes' side...

23.16% Dublin South-West
    21.15% Kerry North
    20.77% Donegal South-West
    20.27% Donegal North-East
    20.10% Dublin Central
    18.25% Cork North-Central
    16.33% Dublin North-West
    16.01% Galway West
    14.18% Dublin North-Central
    12.96% Cork East
    12.90% Dublin North-East
    11.85% Dublin West