Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop buying Advice

• 17-10-2002 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a laptop - and have gone over the Dell range online, and was about to buy the Inspiron 2650 - until I read a review of its performance , and the lack of ability to remove/switch drives etc.

So i moved onto the 4150 - has all of the above wants etc, but is using SDRAM ??? So thats put me off that one.

I'm basically looking for a minimum P4m 1.8/1.7 , 20GIG, 256DDR ram, DVD, 32MB g/card (not shared with RAM) for about 1900euro.

Can someone suggest to me a better P3 1.2 with the above options?

I've also looked at Toshibas - but i was told to buy from PCWORLD (but my experience of PCWORLD is overpriced) so i havent gone near them.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Have a look at the IBM range ...

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

tried IBM also - forgot to mention. You have to order them from the UK - so due to the exchange rate you end up paying quite a bit for them :( . I'd love a decent thinkpad ! For that matter a decent laptop !

Probably by then end of this week i'll go with the 4150 from Dell. But was interested in people's experiences and advice etc - being a Laptop noob!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I own a Dell and work on a Dell

The one I own is the 8200 - 1.7 P4.

Great jobbie, would be lost without it and have no real quams about it but it is expensive. The 15" screen makes a big difference.

What I am using at work is the latitude C510 but with a 1Gig processor, does the job big time, would defo settle for this as a home machine, got a rucksack carrier, they are about 70 notes but u even get a bottle with it!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The mother's considering getting a lappie.
    She's a teacher, anyone know where you can get discounts on kit?

Looking for about a CeleronII/P3 Tu 1gig, 256meg ram (DDR/SDR doesn't matter), ATi Radeon/nVidia GO graphics maybe - or just something we can use for the odd game, 100MBit nic, 15" screen + VGA-out, TV-out if possible, Li-Ion battery, 20-40gig drive, USB etc, DVD-CDR combo/CDburner/DVD drive (in order of preference).

Any word?

Weight is not a factor

Advertisement