Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNU calls for no vote to Nice

Options
  • 17-10-2002 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

For anybody interested in Open Source issues - the free software foundation who have been running the gnu project since 1984 (the other side of Linux than that Finnish guy) has called for a No vote to Nice due to it's impact on copyright, patents and free software.

www.gnu.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Whatever
    RTS's politics generally stink, so I'll make up my own mind
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Copyrights and patents wouldn't fall under the trade treaties afaik?

I'm not going to be voting No just because someone in the Programming field thinks it's a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭seedot

And it means that things like the DMCA come to a hard drive near you.

This is the legislation that locked up a Russian programmer for telling people how to crack an e-book, and a norwegian teenager for doing a school project on a linux dvd player.

TRIPS, the international agreement on copyright and patents will be under the control of some unelected, bought and paid for civil servants who will accede to the RIAA and the MPAA - the people who killed napster and are trying to kill div-x. You will lose out.

But thats only politics - mod, please take this away.

(for googles, dimitry skylarov, jon johanssen, and anything you want on napster and div-x).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by seedot
    This is the legislation that locked up a Russian programmer for telling people how to crack an e-book, and a norwegian teenager for doing a school project on a linux dvd player.
    That is more about warez and cracked vids/music than open source, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

You've got to be kidding me. This is not a good reason for voting no. Common trade treaties are not intrinsically bad or restrictive.

Perhaps a stronger Europe is just the thing to stand up to the Americans, most of the push for this sort of restictive act seems to come from there.

Just more No Campaign FUD, if you ask me.

K

Advertisement