Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Student Credit Card

Options
  • 17-10-2002 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

I was wondering how long does it take for the credit card take to come to you. I am waiting 2 weeks tommorw for it and I want to get some cheap stuff off the net with it:).SO anybody know how long they take to come??
    gob_smacked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 alex122

I got mine within a couple of days....

2 weeks seems a long time.. you should probably give them a call and see what's happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved....the college heads prolly know more about this...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

It took me a good few weeks like nearly a month and I rang up and complained twice saying I had not received it and that it must be gone missing or something. They say fine, we'll send you out another one, then all of a sudden two arrive at the same time... so I'd just sit tight and be patient, it will eventually arrive. Just remember you still have to pay the cash off afterwards...as I'm finding out the hard way

Ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by daveirl
    What are the criteria to get one? Do you have to have a fixed income or a parental guarantee or what?

Look on the bank website it will say the criteria there, you have to be over 18 and have a good banking history (not gone into the red on your account although there's no facility to do that if you're under 18), the thing is the credit limit on student cards are only about €300!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eth0_
    the thing is the credit limit on student cards are only about €300!

The Credit Limit with an AIB Student Mastercard is €400

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah I have an AIB student mastercard too. Took under a week to arrive. The PIN arrived a day or two later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Personally i would go for a standard card.
    I had a Student CC when i was in secondary school and used it a lot but my charge limit never increased and when you move onto a "proper" card, you limit is at the base again.
    :(

Maybe this has changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

I have an AIB student cc too, the limit of €400 doesnt bother me much as i transfer money into the account using online banking. The only problem is that apparantly there is a limit of €600 on a single transaction which i only found out about when i tried to pay my college fees online, even though i had put over €2,500 into the cc account.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Is the mastercard festooned with camp images of "students" as in the brochure / or / is it the usual classic design?

- On a related (and really unimportant) note:

I recently noticed among my cohort how all of our new banklink cards are suffixed with "SP", presumably identifying the "S"tudent "P"lus product.

There was no mention of this when opening the account, Its damn annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, the AIB student mastercard is covered with pictures of utter gimps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

sweetness!!!
    got the cc bout a week ago and was well pleased but it is maxed out allready lol lucky I do have the cash to pay for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by chernobyl
    Personally i would go for a standard card.
    I had a Student CC when i was in secondary school and used it a lot but my charge limit never increased and when you move onto a "proper" card, you limit is at the base again.
    :(

Maybe this has changed?

And how exactly can yoy get a standard CC on part time wages while at college numbnuts.

I just signed up for the student cc, should be due in a week or so methinks.

I set up the Direct Debit to be 100%, any of you do any different?

You just signed up... You don't know if you will be approved its not a certainty!

It is easy to get a "real" cc on a student or even nil wages, the trick is to have a parental guarantee.

After it expires (its only valid for a year) does another automatically arrive or what? Is it festooned with camp images also? Is it only valid for a year again?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Credit cards are normally renewed automatically..unless you have been bad. You should get your replacement 2-3 weeks before the end of the month listed as the expiry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you have a "Student Bank Account" they probably won't even think of touching you for a Credit Card.

I got my first (and proper) CC after finishing College and was given an €3000 limit. I'd previously had a full Current Account and a good credit rating.

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    If you have a "Student Bank Account" they probably won't even think of touching you for a Credit Card.

I got my first (and proper) CC after finishing College and was given an €3000 limit. I'd previously had a full Current Account and a good credit rating.

Times sure have changed...

AIB gave me one.. no questions asked.
    On the form it even asks for your weekly income and I said I didn't have one and she said that was fine and just to leave it out.

From what I hear BOI are the same.
    You just need to be over 18 and they'll only give u a credit limit of €400.. but it'll do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Do you get charged the €40/year for a student cCC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

unfortunately, yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah you get charge the €40 quid just like a normal cc, i got a boi card a while ago, looks like a normal mastercard :) limit is €350 which i though fair enough but then someone informed me you could put credit onto it which was grand, used it to pay for flights and expensive stuff etc. i don't think it has that €600 transaction limit that someone mentioned, its set up 100% direct debit though i usually transfer the money straight away it was got mainly for online purchases, there was not problems getting it and recently the bank was very helpful as i wanted to transfer €500 onto it more or less immediately and it takes over a day by normal means and they where able to give me a temporary limit increase of €500 on the basis that the money was in transit, meant i don't miss out on some flights and accomdation i think.

should have my renewed aib card coming thru the door soon. minus the gobsheens, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Repli

AFAIK all cards, including student ones, get it.

Unfortunately the answer is Yes...same as any cc

...emmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the good news is it gets taken out in april i think as i just paid it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

All pass, laser and credit cards get charged the various Stamp Duties. The banks have covered the previously lower charge cost on a lot os student a/c's in the past but with the increases I doubt they'll cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by alex122
    Unfortunately the answer is Yes...same as any cc
    Except MBNA.. and up until last year there was no annual fee for student CCs'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Yes that TAX is charged to all credit card accounts by the Government.

It is bank FEES that students do not have to pay.

Advertisement