Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 17-10-2002 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

Up until a little while ago, there used to be an indicator in the menu bar up top telling us when a forum had a new post in it, by putting a wee asterix beside the name of the forum. This seems only to work in the "Subbed" list now.

Why was it taken away? Can we have it back? I found it really handy for skimming over boards.. I didn't have to click into them to find out there was nothing new there since the last time I checked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It was taken away due to the lagging it was causing onto the whole server. Page loads became very slow and this was part of the reason... apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

If you subscribe to forums, the stars appear in the 'subbed' drop down at the top... so subscribe!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you read some of the older posts here about those "stars" you'll see why. If you are subbed to your favourite forums (as everyone SHOULD BE :) ) then you'll see them on that list.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Personally, I'm not fond of the "subscribe" thing. Limiting the "new posts" indicator to this feature alone seems to me to discourage random browsing of boards you might only have a random interest in.

Although, if it was a huge burden on the server's resources, I can understand taking it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If posting is purely down to randomness then you would not bother to see which fora have been posted in - you would randomly click any old forum.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Go to http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/index.php?s= The icon beside each forum tells you if it has new posts or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Cool - that's exactly the kind of thing I hoping for.

Soon to come: part 2 of my beef with the nav menu - "accessibility"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

Don't mention the war! (its on the list)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

Can we see your list? It is nearly Santa seasion. I'll have my co2 powered rifle by then, ready the shoot the ****er out of the sky and steal all the presents!! muahaha

So there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i found the <date> <time> By <poster> in the status invaluable
    much more important than the stars i recon but prolly same kind of thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

"i found the <date> <time> By <poster> in the status invaluable
    much more important than the stars i recon but prolly same kind of thing"

Stratagist, When you subscribe, not only do stars come back, but that little trinket of goodness too. I have the best ideas in the world. next up, Optical mice with BALL bearings for smoothness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

i gathered that much already :)
    and i prefer glass marble fragments instead of ballbearings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pff Marble pieces. How is that gonna ROLL across a hard surface.
    My Patented 'RollerGlide'* Technology will enable gamers to play with absolutly no friction. It uses High Quality Abec-5 Ball bearing packs to create a smooth friction free movement. Combined with a Microsoft optical intellimouse 3 or a Logitech Mx-500, this will create a unparalled mouse for accuracy and precision. All I have to do is Kill CERTAIN people who insist THEIR proto-type was invented by them.

*this technology may not actualy exist.

Advertisement