Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for McCarthy to go? You decide

• 17-10-2002 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Has Mick McCarthy done enough damage to Irish soccer? I think so...what about you?

It still isn't too late. Sack him, shoot him...I don't care!

Get a new manager in and Roy back and we can still do it. Russia still have to come to Dublin and we still have to play in Switzerland. However, it needs to happen now.

Should McCarthy go now? 49 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 49 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I voted yes.

Because, of course, Mick and the FAI are reading this and will base any decision they make on the result here.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 alanj1

Played 2, lost 2. Half the crowd at Lansdowne chanted for Keane the rest chanted for Ireland, no-one chanted for McCarthy. "Loyal Mick" played Damien Duff, who would start for Real Madrid on the left of midfield, up front and put Kevin Kilbane on the left. This after everyone has been screaming for him not to do it ! John O'Shea and Clinton Morrison, who have both started brilliantly this season, were nowhere to be seen.

McCarthy must me removed now. There is a 5 month break until our next qualifier against Georgia, what better time to bring in a new manager ?

Irish supporters it's time to make a stand, let the FAI know that you won't let Irish football be ruined even further. If you think McCarthy should go then please visit this page and send your thoughts to the FAI. http://www.gavinjoyce.com/McCarthyMustGo/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

You decide

do I ? were I given the power to decide such a thing I dont think id bother. let DeVore run the team for a time, ya dats what Id do.

oh, and break ian hartes legs...cant 4get that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I was the only one to vote no, ffs ok so he lost two semi crucial games but he is by far the best manager ireland has had in recent years, as opposed charltons lets get pissed in a pub and go cinema regime.

Can you name a potential manager currently available who would be competent enough to handle the position, and dont say o leary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Sneakier2

McCarthy is a Sunday league manager. Jobs for the lads, good craic and we always have a laugh. Bollox! We could have won the World Cup. Germany, a team we should have beaten, despite the ridiculous tactical decisions, got to the final. Roy Keane basically showed the FAI and McCarthy up in front of the world. All too Mickey Mouse. To me, Keane seems a conceited asshole, but in that case, he was one with a good point. McCarthy should go because he sees the Irish team as his own. Its the National squad! He always said he'll be judged by results. Damning indictments have to be on the horizon. One championship out of three. We won ONE game at the world cup, against Saudi Arabia. WOW!! What a scalp. We scraped through against Iran, losing in Tehran! Include the Spain game as a defeat and our last 8 competetive games read:

W: 2
    D: 2
    L: 4

Peter Reid got sacked for that kind of form. He has to go, even just to save some face. Who'd replace him? O'Leary, Martin O'Neill, Peter Reid, George Graham, John Aldridge, Liam Brady, Roy Keane (yeah, yeah!) Kenny Dalglish. All but O'Neill and more than likely, Keane are available and most have good records.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    I was the only one to vote no, ffs ok so he lost two semi crucial games but he is by far the best manager ireland has had in recent years.
    Both of those games were very crucial games indeed. It means we MUST win ALL of our games from now to the end of the qualifiers. And he is the only manager that Ireland has had in recent years. There have only been three in the last 22 years. Its not hard to point that out.
    as opposed charltons lets get pissed in a pub and go cinema regime.
    From what I've read he does let the players go out and get pissed. Even at the World Cup before crucial games.
    Can you name a potential manager currently available who would be competent enough to handle the position, and dont say o leary
    Let me see... Anyone? The manager doesn't specifically have to be Irish does he? Look how well England are doing with Eriksson. He picks the team from what he thinks is the best team on paper and their recent form. Whereas Mick has his "personal favorites", like many recent England managers have done without success. There are plenty of managers out there good enough to take Micks place and would be willing to do so. What about George Burley? Peter Reid? Theres tons.

And also... Your saying Brian Kerr isn't a contender?

/me Awaits your explanation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

IMO he should have been gone since the Roy Keane thing

add to that what i heard him saying on Sky Sports News today. he was saying how he can hold his head high because he and the team tried their best. bollocks to that. get rid of him :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Yes, time is up for him. I doubt he will be sacked so we'll just have to hope he starts to make some good choices for the interest of the team and resign, cos god knows he ain't making them when it comes to picking a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He has the go.
    If he had picked a decent side and we had lost I wouldnt feel so annoyed but he didnt. Once again he stuck with the same old shit players, and look we lost again.
    t = time to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

He has to go, because it would be such a shame if we don't get into the euro championships. If a new manager came in and played the best players in their best positions we really could go out and compete in Portugal. Roy Keane said that Mick McCarthy has no ambition and I think he is right. Micks goal was to get out of the group in the world cup so we did that job over next flight home please huragh for Ireland. F*ck that we really could have progressed during the world cup but we didn't he should have gone then.

I think Mc Carthy did a great job getting us to the world cup but as he said the shine is gone off the job. If he leaves now he can do so with a bit of pride left. Why drag it out another year and leave in complete disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Originally posted by Makaveli
    t = time to leave.

lol

Next we should use a capital T to really show him we mean it. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle

Why not say O'Leary? Seriously?

He'd pick the team based on the players abilities and their current form - NOT based on personalities and friendships. He's a better tactician than McCarthy and has shown this in his (hugely underrated) work as manager with Leeds United.

So I choose to say "O'Leary" in answer to your question as I think O'Leary would be an ideal replacement.

in fact...

"O'Leary !!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

nah not o'leary aldridge or reid or burley even

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I voted no.
    Half the crowd at Lansdowne chanted for Keane the rest chanted for Ireland, no-one chanted for McCarthy.

Good point alanj1. Was this the same crowd that boo'ed former Glasgow Rangers players by any chance?

Perhaps those who chanted for Ireland were chanting for Mick, chanting for the continuity he provides. Not the dissent and division that those who chant Keane provide.

I never thought this would happen with Irish Soccer. McCarthy and Ireland lose some games, albeit important games, and people are bellowing for his head. What happened to supporting the Boys in Green no matter what the final score?

I admit I was disheartened, but F*ck it. McCarthy has revolutionised Irish soccer. He changed the awful Long ball of the Charlton era. Changed the old guard. Introduced the youth of today. He brought us from 54th to 13th.

He gaves us "Ireland 1-0 Holland". He gaves us Japan and Korea this Summer.

His made mistakes. Everyone does.

Unfortunately, McCarthy's mistakes are too great to be forgiven by, what appears to be the majority of most people. His clearly not as happy as he used to be.

If McCarthy must go, then let it be a good parting. Dont let him go just so we can have Roy Keane back for 5 years before he ultimately retires(Barring injuries)

Thanks Mr. Mick McCarthy

But it's over. Gotta be a realist. Good memories to be honest.

I'm with Bard. When he does, then O' Leary is my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gavinjoyce

Do more than vote. Email the FAI:

http://www.gavinjoyce.com/McCarthyMustGo/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gavinjoyce

Quote "McCarthy has revolutionised Irish soccer".

Well thats crazy talk, your crazy [beep] get off the road.

Please read this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67383

Gavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

... You Decide ...

does this mean if a YES vote wins this poll, mccarthy will be ousted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

He brought us from 54th to 13th.
    He also brought us from 27th (when he started) to 57th.

He gaves us "Ireland 1-0 Holland".
    If there was one man who gave us Ireland 1 Holland 0, then his name was not Mick McCarthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Bard
    Why not say O'Leary? Seriously?

He'd pick the team based on the players abilities and their current form - NOT based on personalities and friendships. He's a better tactician than McCarthy and has shown this in his (hugely underrated) work as manager with Leeds United.

So I choose to say "O'Leary" in answer to your question as I think O'Leary would be an ideal replacement.

in fact...

"O'Leary !!!"

Couldn't agree more. O'Leary is da man for the job! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭pendulum

McCarthy is in a no win situation atm, so would probs be better
    for him to resign - saving a little face at least...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think he should go before he is pushed. I think he will get abother game and if we lose that he will go.

I would like O'Leary to get the job as he would give the younger players a change and not stick to the players who got us there.

"Mick in case you reading this. You pick your best players not the ones who got you there and Duff is a winger not a striker and Kilbane is crap."

O'Leary would give O' Shea and Reid and them a chnage and perhaps change the tatics and also play duff on the left with morrison and keane up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think even most of the anti-Roy camp from a few months ago now think it is time for Mick to go. I am not saying they have changed their views on Roy or on Saipan but they have changed their views for Mick. I also think some people are being a wee bit harsh on Mick. For the last qualifying campaign and the World Cup itself I thought he did reasonably well. Counting the Spain game as a defeat is worng, it enters the records as a draw, which it was after 120 minutes. Also I am sure you could pick similar poor streaks from Alex Fergusons and Arsene Wengers records to, but they are not sh*t managers. Having said that I think six years is long enough and it is time for Mick to take a step back and get a new person with a new perspective in to do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 alanj1

Originally posted by CCCP^

Good point alanj1. Was this the same crowd that boo'ed former Glasgow Rangers players by any chance?

Perhaps those who chanted for Ireland were chanting for Mick, chanting for the continuity he provides. Not the dissent and division that those who chant Keane provide.

I certainly hope it wasn't bigoted idiots chanting, I sincerely believe it was normal Irish supporters making their opinion known. McCarthy said he'd go when the fans wanted him to go, well get the aul CV typed up there Mick.

McCarthy's continuity = Kevin Kilbane starting every International.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Mick should have gone after the world cup debacle. I don't care what anyone says, winning one match against a poor Saudi team did not make for a glorious world cup performance. He has never even gone to see John O'Shea playing, despite the fact that he has played in Man Uniteds last 13 games. He preferes Hart and Kelly even though they can't make it on to a bad Leeds team this year.
    Roy Keane could manage and play for Ireland. We'll never have a player like Roy again, yet we leave him at home because Mick won't go, and the FAI won't spend the money to sack him.

Advertisement