Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN CLI Problem?

Options
  • 17-10-2002 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

I don't know if this is off topic or not here, but here goes anyway. I have ISDN (hi-Speed). The Eircom Plug & play unit comes with 2 analogue and 2 digital ports. I've programmed both analogue ports with their respective line numbers. If I dial out from either analogue port the correct CLI is sent for each line. However my TA is connected to one of the digital ports and no matter which port I plug the TA into it always sends the CLI of line 1.

I've signed up for NEtSmart using line 2 for the service, but when I try to connect it sends the CLI for line 1 which means it won't connect. I've contacted NetSmart to change lines but I've got to write cancelling the first account and re-apply to set up a new account with the other number plus getting them to re-imburse me for the first account.

Any other ISDNers out there with who might know how to get the digital ports to send the correct CLI for each line.

I tried contacting Eircom to see if there is an easier solution to sending the correct CLI. I was amazed to find they don't have a technical support section, at least not one you can contact directly. I dialled 1901 and the conversation went something like this:

Me: I have a technical query on ISDN.
    Operator: What's the problem and I'll ask our technical people?
    Me; I explain my problems with analogue ports, digital ports & CLI's.
    Operator: ( 10 seconds later) Our technical department says it can't be done.
    Me: What can't be done?
    Operator: What you asked can't be done.
    Me: Which question I asked can't be done?
    Operator: I don't remember. I'll contact our technical people again and get them to ring you back.

I'm still waiting for a call back on the questions she couldn't remember.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by oisin

Me: I have a technical query on ISDN.
    Operator: What's the problem and I'll ask our technical people?
    Me; I explain my problems with analogue ports, digital ports & CLI's.
    Operator: ( 10 seconds later) Our technical department says it can't be done.
    Me: What can't be done?
    Operator: What you asked can't be done.
    Me: Which question I asked can't be done?
    Operator: I don't remember. I'll contact our technical people again and get them to ring you back.

LOL :rolleyes:
    it just shows u eircom support will lie to get rid of u :(
    i also wondered about the cli with isdn iv tried to get my second lines number to show up when dialing with my TA but i couldnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

With CLI on ISDN it will only pick the Main number the 2nd number dosent really count Just like when you call from a PBX the main switch number will always show up as the number you have called from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by the Guru
    With CLI on ISDN it will only pick the Main number the 2nd number dosent really count Just like when you call from a PBX the main switch number will always show up as the number you have called from

Rubbish!

If you call from a PABX the DDI number of the terminal you are using should show to the called party, unless the calling subscriber has elected to display another number such as their main switchboard number. The latter is pretty dysfunctional as it causes people calling back to needlessly go through operator assistance. Might as well have only one e-mail address for the company too, and let someone sort each arriving e-mail manually.

sax0000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

these are additional numbers 'filled' across an ISDN

he is talking about the logical numbers attached to each channel.

can you look for info on 'outbound presentation' or 'outbound channel selection' in your ISDN TA manual and pot in here ....need me memory jogged

M

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Thanks for your input guys. Guess I'll have to cancel and re-apply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

What you have to do is select channel B in your "modem"(ta) properties.
    I have an Eicon Diva.. not sure about other TAs...
    to select which channel to use i have to click Dial Up networking > Right click the connection "netsmart" or whatever > Then select "connect using" eiter Eicon channel 0 (old phone number) or Eicon channel 1 (new phone number)..

The channel has to be picked by the software.. Switching sockets on the ISDN box makes no difference..

Hope this makes some sort of sense..
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

Thanks David C, I tried that already. I'm using Windows XP Pro in the properties my TA shows up twice, so I enable both to connect at 128K or enable 1 to connect at 64K. I've tried everything but there is nowhere to select the individuals channnels. I've tried connecting on 1 channel first and while thats engaged connecting to NetSmart but it still sends the CLI of my primary number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Slightly OT, but anyway - how exactly do you go about programming the analogue ports? I know as far as dialing **#73## - but what's the parameter number, and does the parameter value = the number you're programming it to? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

it's been a while, but if my memory is still intact dont you need to set the MSN you want to dial with in the ISDN adaptor properties, problem is that if it is a BRI eircom have an issue with most of there exchanges that this doesnt work all the time, in my experience about 1 in 7 goes out with the primary BRI number. IF you have a PRI your sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

sounds suspiciously like the Alacatel ratio within €ircon

about 1 in 7 lines ...maybe less.. have been provided off Alcatel exchanges while the rest are Ericsson exchanges

these tend to be in the southern half of the country or the edge of Dublin ISTR

anybody have a list of where these are today?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

have you tried picking up the first analogue line and calling yourself to tie up the line - maybe then it might send out the cli for the second one

long shot though

Advertisement