Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Conferencing

Options
  • 17-10-2002 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread but here goes.

I used to talk to my daughter in America with two webcams using Netmeeting over two 56k lines.

As you can imagine it was laggy, unclear and dropped off a lot so we gave up on the idea and just went back to phone calls.

DSL has become available in my area and I am thinking of getting a line in for this.

My question is would I experience a notable increase in the quality of the video with the DSL line even if the other side was still operating on 56k?

Ta Kindly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

yes it will But you cant use DSL for Video-conferencing as it is an Internet product only ????????
    With the Webcam yes in order as it is web based for to use VC you will need to use at least 3 Basic rates (6 Hi Speed channels) at least 384k with the DSL you get 512k with but you are only sending infomation @ 128k so the top end DSL enhanced would be the Best option if you have loads of cash other wise get solo it will work fine.

Also remember your conx is only as good as your daughters so she will have to have the same bandwidth get the best quality images and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

/me thinks 'the Guru' is lost in $TELCO marketing propaganda :rolleyes:

In my experience there is a slight increase in Netmeeting stability and quality if one side is using a broadband connection, but obviously it's no comparison to the quality you'll get with both sides on broadband.

I've found iVisit to be more reliable than Netmeeting over marginal links
    http://www.ivisit.com/

Advertisement