Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend a good beginner's Java book?

Options
  • 17-10-2002 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭

The title pretty much says it all. Something with a good primer on OOP would be nice as I haven't done any before.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

the "Deitel & Deitel" books are good for beginners.
    They have a new Java 4th Edition Book out. Only looked at it briefly but it looked good. There's probably lots of info at their website.

http://www.deitel.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

I have the Deitel and Deitel book, "Java How to programme", edition 3. Its very good has many example etc, and even come with a JDK compiler disk.

Take a look at it, its a book with a green cover!!! Or try the new 4th edition which I haven't yet seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

The Deitel and Deitel book doesn't deal with objects until 1/3 of the way through the book, so maybe that is not really of use to you. There is another book called Object-Orientated Programming with Java by Barnes. It doesn't include a disk with the framework though but it is quite good for someone with no experience in programming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

You could get a book from here

But TBH, I highly recommend you start here (here you will learn OO concepts, and how they translate in to Java code, etc). Most of all it's free, and if changes are to be made in the Java language, this is the first place you will find the new information. :)

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

I had a tough time gettin used to java when I first started at college. I'd never studied any programmin languages b4 and couldnt make head nor tail of half the stuff some of the lecturers were sayin. So I went and bought a book to help me get the basics right, "Java Made Simple" by PK McBride. It takes a really simplistic approach but u wont go wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

JAVA JAVA JAVA by Morelli is good. My second year java class is based on that book (ITTralee).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Originally posted by sjones
    JAVA JAVA JAVA by Morelli is good. My second year java class is based on that book (ITTralee).

oops, The Second Edition. The First Edition is some what out of date. Make sure it's Second Edition!@#

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Thanks to all who responded. I'll probably pick up the Deitel and Deitel book as it comes with the compiler and I want something in print. I'll give all options a look in though before making my final decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

I think the Joyce Farrel book is pretty good. Its called Java Comprehensive. This also come with the Java Compiler and plenty of tutorial files to help u along your way while going throught the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mindy

Computing Concepts with Java Essentials, 3rd Edition by Cay Horstmann is the one we use in college. He also has a book called Core Java which I've found pretty useful.:D

http://www.horstmann.com/ccj.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Slightly OT but amazon.co.uk have 50% off all computer and internet related books at the moment

Advertisement