Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT ADSL Waterford City

Options
  • 17-10-2002 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else in waterford has enquired about this...

i got a call today form an esat rep that offered me ADSL.. just waiting on a line test to be done... its not available for another 2 weeks but there doing line tests on ppl inquiring..

Afaik.. there are 2 exchanges being upgrade in waterford Tycor and da GPO.. you need to be within 2.5k of which ever 1 your on...

there offering 2 connections 512k and 1mb connections with no cap afaik... unfortunatley i cant remember the price :p i think its €90 and €205 respectively......

i think im the first residential test most so far are business...
    btw afaik theres a 9/10 failure rate so far :( lets hope i aint 1 of em...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by Stokolan
    Just wondering if anyone else in waterford has enquired about this...

i got a call today form an esat rep that offered me ADSL.. just waiting on a line test to be done... its not available for another 2 weeks but there doing line tests on ppl inquiring..

Afaik.. there are 2 exchanges being upgrade in waterford Tycor and da GPO.. you need to be within 2.5k of which ever 1 your on...

there offering 2 connections 512k and 1mb connections with no cap afaik... unfortunatley i cant remember the price :p i think its €90 and €205 respectively......

i think im the first residential test most so far are business...
    btw afaik theres a 9/10 failure rate so far :( lets hope i aint 1 of em...

Total crap. Don't believe it. Over 90% of loops in Ireland will pass even if it has to go down to IDSL speed (similar to ISDN only DSL based).

I'm being polite, assuming you aren't yet another eircom plant on boards.ie

sax0000

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by sax0000
    Total crap. Don't believe it. Over 90% of loops in Ireland will pass even if it has to go down to IDSL speed (similar to ISDN only DSL based).

I'm being polite, assuming you aren't yet another eircom plant on boards.ie

sax0000

Thats interesting as last time i checked Eircom or esat dont support IDSL as yet. Neither have plans for RADSL in the near future. That kinda kills the 90% of loops thing i would imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Neither have plans for RADSL in the near future.

No confirmation, but I heard different Dusty.

C'mere, do me a favour and give yerfella up there a tutorial on quoting, willya? I'm on a friggin dialup here and it's driving me nuts. Particularly when... well, you know...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

im about a mile away from the GPO... heres hoping

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Going to phone em during my lunch
    here's hoping as well :D

• Advertisement

gave em a call...gave the rep my phone number, address, contact info ect and he said he'll be back to me on monday..

looks like I'll have both UTV and EsatBT(hopefully) for a while then as im contracted :p .... I gotta admit though,it was a HUGE releif when I heard esat were doing DSL down here, over a tenner cheaper and no bandwidth cap!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Phoned them on Friday, ended up talking to the sales rep about Irelandoffline, he says he reads the forum's here every so often etc

Gota just check a few things before I go ahead with it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

for some reason ESATBT have it in my part of Ireland two! (Ballina)

once off 125 Euro

1mb - 205 Euro pm

or

512k - 90 Euro pm

(there was a 2mb line but never mind about that)

they made a point of telling me it *both have no cap*

I hope my line test works out ok, but two people from eircom said it "should work" (???) and Im in range

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Well feck on it. I am 3k from Tycor and 3k from the GPO. Marvellous.

Believe it when I see it tho !

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I was told by eircom that 3k might still work, but i dont know if its true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

btw those prices are excluding vat, so the cheaper option is something like €1.21 per month more expensive than Eircom adsl (though well worth it for having no lame cap). Also I saw that they require quarterly rental paid in advance (ie, every 3 months pay for the next 3 months use). Otherwise, good stuff on actually rolling out esatBT, hopefully there will be a residential type offer eventually :P (all prices being quoted ex vat seems to point at businesses only)

Just rang em now. The operator assured me that the 90% chance of line test failing was an unreal estimate, and that there should be absolutly no problems with upgrading as long as your in the service range. Application is being mailed out to be this evening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭*NemesiS*

Well considerin im livin in Tycor BRING IT ON!!!!!11 :D
    tbh the 9 outta 10 failin sounds a little over the top to me, now its time to scrounge a few pennies ahem cents together and hope i can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Originally posted by *NemesiS*
    Well considerin im livin in Tycor BRING IT ON!!!!!11 :D
    tbh the 9 outta 10 failin sounds a little over the top to me, now its time to scrounge a few pennies ahem cents together and hope i can afford it.

The whole Koopa incident still effecting ya ehh?

Yeah 9/10 is high but i hope it is less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

to put the 9/10 thing into context, when I rang Eircom to try and get ADSL for our company I was told that only about 1 in 20 applicants pass their test for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Junior

Has there been anymore updates on this ? I'd be seriously interested although I have a feeling I'll have to get the GPS out to find out exactly how far from Tycor or the GPO I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

the distance is the length of wire to the exchange, not what crows allegedly do.

M

Originally posted by Muck
    not what crows allegedly do.

Get hit by cars?? :p

Advertisement